VPVM

Maiden Name to Middle Name

17 posts in this topic

I just had my interview yesterday and I passed. However, the IO dug on my middle name and maiden name. Basically and legally in the Philippines where I came from, if you get married our names(women) will become First Name- Father’s Last Name-Spouse’s Last Name. For example…Annie Reyes(Maiden Name) Araullo married to John Macapagal. Then, it will become Annie Araullo Macapagal. Thus my maiden name will be removed. But the IO insisted that in US it should be Annie Reyes Macapagal. I explained to him how it works in our country and even told him that my legal name in all of my documents are the same since I got married, he said he understood and even went to the other room for a consultation and I overheard the woman explaining the same thing as I did( cuz I think she’s also from the Philippines:)). Still, IO insisted that I do name change if I wanted my name to be as Annie Araullo Macapagal. I said yes and he let me signed a petition to the court which will take 45 days till my oath ceremony. I’m just now confused because all of my documents-GC,SSN,passport etc are all Annie Araullo Macapagal since I got married, so how could that be a name change??? Hmmm, well the bottomline is he said to not worry because I passed and now a US Citizen and just wait for the oath ceremony. Please any advices or same cases as I had. Thanks 

On 9/15/2021 at 10:50 PM, VPVM said:

I just had my interview yesterday and I passed. However, the IO dug on my middle name and maiden name. Basically and legally in the Philippines where I came from, if you get married our names(women) will become First Name- Father’s Last Name-Spouse’s Last Name. For example…Annie Reyes(Maiden Name) Araullo married to John Macapagal. Then, it will become Annie Araullo Macapagal. Thus my maiden name will be removed. But the IO insisted that in US it should be Annie Reyes Macapagal. I explained to him how it works in our country and even told him that my legal name in all of my documents are the same since I got married, he said he understood and even went to the other room for a consultation and I overheard the woman explaining the same thing as I did( cuz I think she’s also from the Philippines:)). Still, IO insisted that I do name change if I wanted my name to be as Annie Araullo Macapagal. I said yes and he let me signed a petition to the court which will take 45 days till my oath ceremony. I’m just now confused because all of my documents-GC,SSN,passport etc are all Annie Araullo Macapagal since I got married, so how could that be a name change??? Hmmm, well the bottomline is he said to not worry because I passed and now a US Citizen and just wait for the oath ceremony. Please any advices or same cases as I had. Thanks 

My wife from Philippine had the same issue as you, she had her interview end of July,  we are still waiting for court date so they can do the legal name change and oath at the same time.  We guess they will wait until they have a few of them to do before they set a date.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:59 AM, Joe Kano said:

My wife from Philippine had the same issue as you, she had her interview end of July,  we are still waiting for court date so they can do the legal name change and oath at the same time.  We guess they will wait until they have a few of them to do before they set a date.

Oh I see. The IO told me it will take 45 days for the court to approve it and same time with the Oath. Did your wife attend the oath yet? In what State she got interviewed with? Mine is FL. Thank you for your reply.

14 hours ago, VPVM said:

Oh I see. The IO told me it will take 45 days for the court to approve it and same time with the Oath. Did your wife attend the oath yet? In what State she got interviewed with? Mine is FL. Thank you for your reply.

Dallas Texas, they are gonna do the oath and name change at same time, We have been waiting since end July when she had her interview.

You were lucky you were able to request the name change right there in the interview. I wanted a name change but my field office is not doing name changes since March last year due to Covid.

I had to naturalize with the wrong name and now I am dealing with my local court to request a name change (the wait time is well over a month). Then I will be able to apply for passport, driver lic, etc. 

In your case, your certificate will have the correct name and you will be able to immediately apply for a passport, update social security, etc. 

Count your blessings!!

On 9/15/2021 at 8:50 PM, VPVM said:

32 minutes ago, happytree said:

You were lucky you were able to request the name change right there in the interview. I wanted a name change but my field office is not doing name changes since March last year due to Covid.

I had to naturalize with the wrong name and now I am dealing with my local court to request a name change (the wait time is well over a month). Then I will be able to apply for passport, driver lic, etc. 

In your case, your certificate will have the correct name and you will be able to immediately apply for a passport, update social security, etc. 

Count your blessings!!

Oh so sorry to hear that. Yes, I guess I was just fluky enough that everything went without a hitch,suantly.  Let’s just hope and pray for the right time to come🙏🏻😊 after all it’s all totally worth the wait. Good luck and best regards to us!

Thank you and stay safe!

On 9/15/2021 at 8:50 PM, VPVM said:

I am sorry to hear that. I am so thankful that i never had a problem like this when i had my interview. but it is really confusing how do you make a name change while you are using that name in all of your documents. anyway the important is you are U.S. citizen now

13 hours ago, jolyn69 said:

I am sorry to hear that. I am so thankful that i never had a problem like this when i had my interview. but it is really confusing how do you make a name change while you are using that name in all of your documents. anyway the important is you are U.S. citizen now

I know right, lol. Couldn’t imagine my face while he was explaining it to me…I think he noticed me frowning and smirking…happy but a bit confused😁 so he just reassured me. 
 You were lucky then, some said it really depends on the IO. Cuz I have a friend too who were interviewed in CA few months ago, same app (Spouse 3yrs) but never had an issue with the Middle Name…ugh. 
Anyway, thank you and you have a great day ahead!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/15/2021 at 11:50 PM, VPVM said:

Where did you get married? Here or in Philippines? 

When you did you immigration, what is your name in your docs?

10/26/2017: Priority Date - AOS

11/29/2017: Biometrics Appointment

12/21/2017: EAD/AP Approval in 56 Days

12/18/2018: Interview Day | Approved on the Spot

12/22/2018: Received Green Card (10 Years)

N-400 Application (Orlando)

09/20/2021 - Early Filing Online (3 year -married to US Citizen)

09/20/2021 - Received NOA & status changed to "Case being actively reviewed" & Biometric Reuse

03/31/2022 - Interview in West Palm Beach Fl

- Recommended for Approval & Oath Ceremony will be scheduled notice (My application includes request for name change)

06/16/2022 - Judicial Naturalization Ceremony 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My 2 scents :)

Technically, here, you are not permitted to change your middle name without a legal name change. Only last names can be changed via marriage / marital status change without a court order. You can either use your husbands last name or hyphenate hubbys lastname and yours

if you came as Anne Reyes Araullo in USA, then you should be Anne Reyes Macapagal by US Laws upon marriage to your husband. The N400 name change is indeed needed.

BUT

If your immigration docs already has your married name, and you were already married when you came to the US. then I don't think legal name change is necessary. I am inclined to think  you were single when you came to USA.

Edited by shakeyy

10/26/2017: Priority Date - AOS

11/29/2017: Biometrics Appointment

12/21/2017: EAD/AP Approval in 56 Days

12/18/2018: Interview Day | Approved on the Spot

12/22/2018: Received Green Card (10 Years)

N-400 Application (Orlando)

09/20/2021 - Early Filing Online (3 year -married to US Citizen)

09/20/2021 - Received NOA & status changed to "Case being actively reviewed" & Biometric Reuse

03/31/2022 - Interview in West Palm Beach Fl

- Recommended for Approval & Oath Ceremony will be scheduled notice (My application includes request for name change)

06/16/2022 - Judicial Naturalization Ceremony 

I am from the Philippines and i did the same name change. Like you all my official ids (driver’s license, green cards, EAD, ssn and passport ) already has my married name. But the officer said i still have to do name change on my interview. Luckily, i was able to do the oath and name change on the same day of my interview. My interview was at San Antonio, TX in the morning. Oath Taking was in the afternoon. My name change doc was already attached to my Naturalization Certificate. 

29 minutes ago, Limonata said:

I am from the Philippines and i did the same name change. Like you all my official ids (driver’s license, green cards, EAD, ssn and passport ) already has my married name. But the officer said i still have to do name change on my interview. Luckily, i was able to do the oath and name change on the same day of my interview. My interview was at San Antonio, TX in the morning. Oath Taking was in the afternoon. My name change doc was already attached to my Naturalization Certificate. 

Congratulations. You are one lucky indeed! Still awaiting for my oath, hope it would be soonest too. Thank you for sharing this. God bless!

8 hours ago, shakeyy said:

Where did you get married? Here or in Philippines? 

When you did you immigration, what is your name in your docs?

We got married in the Philippines year 2013. The name I used in my application is my married name which is my legal name.( First Name-Father’s Last Name-Spouse’s Last Name.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, shakeyy said:

My 2 scents :)

Technically, here, you are not permitted to change your middle name without a legal name change. Only last names can be changed via marriage / marital status change without a court order. You can either use your husbands last name or hyphenate hubbys lastname and yours

if you came as Anne Reyes Araullo in USA, then you should be Anne Reyes Macapagal by US Laws upon marriage to your husband. The N400 name change is indeed needed.

BUT

If your immigration docs already has your married name, and you were already married when you came to the US. then I don't think legal name change is necessary. I am inclined to think  you were single when you came to USA.

Exactly, that’s why I am so confused as to how could that be a name change if I am already using my married name since we got married 2013. I came here in the US year 2016 as GC holder with my husband, then my husband joined the military and became Citizen 2017 so I applied after 3yrs of his citizenship as Spouse.Legally all my documents here in US are all under my married name( First Name-Father’s Last Name-Spouse’s Last Name).

Thank you for sharing and replying.  God bless!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.