kumakuma

Fiance Was Denied entry.

20 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Do you really think I can do it without a lawyer? Not to sound timid but it's rather nerve racking isnt all of this?.

I do have a question tho. When I go see her in Japan while we wait all this out, is it a problem if I mention to Japanese customs she is my fiance?

I'm certain you can do it without a lawyer. Just read the instructions carefully, answer each and every question on the form truthfully and include all the needed evidence. 

Agreed it is a stressful thing to go through, but people that have had real immigration issues have been successful, so you should not worry. 

Regarding seeing her, in normal times you shouldn't have a problem visiting, but right now travel to Japan for tourism is not permitted.

You can always meet in a country that allows both of you entry. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

I'm certain you can do it without a lawyer. Just read the instructions carefully, answer each and every question on the form truthfully and include all the needed evidence. 

Agreed it is a stressful thing to go through, but people that have had real immigration issues have been successful, so you should not worry. 

Regarding seeing her, in normal times you shouldn't have a problem visiting, but right now travel to Japan for tourism is not permitted.

You can always meet in a country that allows both of you entry. 

Honestly we might just wait it out till around december or November time before we meet in another country or something.

Eventually all this covid stuff has to pass.

Thank you for your response and encouragement. It has helped so much. 

5 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Eventually all this covid stuff has to pass.

That's what people thought last year....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I know a Japanese girl who got denied because of getting doubted to entry for business a few years ago but she did K1 VISA process without lawyer and got approved months ago.

On 9/12/2021 at 2:41 PM, kumakuma said:

Do you really think I can do it without a lawyer? Not to sound timid but it's rather nerve racking isnt all of this?.

I do have a question tho. When I go see her in Japan while we wait all this out, is it a problem if I mention to Japanese customs she is my fiance?

You really don't need a lawyer. The denial of entry that your fiancee had is not an issue for a k1 unless she'd committed some fraud (fake documents etc). I'm assuming that isn't the case. You'd mention it on any forms where it asks have you ever been denied entry to the US and give details - they'll probably be able to look it up anyway and see the situation.

The process might seem intimidating but it's just a case of filling in forms and answering questions. There is nothing magic about a lawyer - they don't know the information about you and your fiancee so either way you end up answering all these questions and trying to pull together all your documents that are required. This forum is full of people with lots of experience and knowledge about k1s - probably more than a lot of lawyers (even if they specialize in immigration they might not handle so many k1s).

With respect to travel to Japan, you'll probably need to ask on a forum that has people familiar with Japanese immigration. I suspect Japan has fewer issues with illegal immigration than the US but even so they are likely to have rules and enforce them. My general approach when visiting the US before or during my k1 was to answer any questions truthfully but not give away information that wasn't asked for. If they asked the purpose of my trip it was "vacation". If they asked where I was staying I told them the city. Only if they asked who I was staying with did I mention my fiancee.

It's a little late in your case, but in terms of travel to the USA I always refered to my "girlfriend" rather than "fiancee" until we'd started the k1 process at which point she was my fiancee. I think if you mention "fiancee" and they will ask why you haven't started a k1 and that might lead to suspicion that you're intending to get married during the visit.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.