Ana A

very confusing situation. 2 letters for fingerprint appointment

9 posts in this topic

So this is very complicated to understand but basically we sent 2 AOS applications because we thought USPS lost our package. What happened eventually is USCIS processed 2 applications for the same person, sent 2 NOA1 and now sent two fingerprint appointment letters. I attended the 1st biometrics and assumed USCIS was able to realize about the mistake and automatically withdraw one of the cases. i even asked the people there and they told me not to worry about it that they already had my information. \anyway nothing like that happened because they sent me a 2nd letter. I was able to chat with an agent on their site and basically they tell me to send a formal letter to withdraw one of the applications  but they made another mistake and when I check my case status they seem to have updated only the receipt number from the interview I didnt attend yet!!! ((it says ready to be scheduled for an interview) .This is so difficult and Im sure im such a unique case but in short words i dont know what to do. If i dont attend the 2nd biometrics does that withdraw it automatically or make it worse? Should i attend and tell them about the receipts not matching? whats best? It doesnt make sense at all they would want to take my fingerprints for a 2nd time but Im so worried.. every time it gets worse and i need to do something to avoid getting two EAD cards eventually or even 2 green card interview appointments. This just made my day..

Edited by Ana A

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

There are no errors on uscis part, you made the mistake and now you have to resolve it calmly. Don't rush the things otherwise you'll make another mistake again.

Which receipt notice did you include when sending the withdrawal letter? Remember, it will take a while for them to process the withdrawal, may be months. 

Just to play safe, attend the biometrics and let the uscis process the withdrawal of the one you requested. The biometrics is done at an ASC, not at the uscis offices so telling them such things doesn't solve anything. You just need to be patient.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

I think your best bet would be trying to make an appointment for your local office and explain the situation there. 

The agent will have access to your files and it might be easier to personally hand them the withdrawal letter if necessary.

Not sure if going to the second biometrics appointment would help, as at the ASC, they basically JUST take the biometrics, nothing else. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

22 minutes ago, arken said:

There are no errors on uscis part, you made the mistake and now you have to resolve it calmly. Don't rush the things otherwise you'll make another mistake again.

Which receipt notice did you include when sending the withdrawal letter? Remember, it will take a while for them to process the withdrawal, may be months. 

Just to play safe, attend the biometrics and let the uscis process the withdrawal of the one you requested. The biometrics is done at an ASC, not at the uscis offices so telling them such things doesn't solve anything. You just need to be patient.

Yeah i know, the problem was basically USPS.. we included a cover letter stating if they already had a first package they should ignore it but it didnt work. I think actually maybe they even got the 2nd package first because we used fedex the 2nd time.

Anyhow, i didnt try the withdrawal yet because aftet my first letter i didnt get my 2nd biometrics letter for a long time so i just thought they somehow were able to figure it out. Also at my appointment they told me not to worry that it was sometimes a common mistake to get duplicate letters and that my fingerprints were already taken.

Things would be much more clear if USCIS actually updated the receipt numbers from my first biometrics. The thing is i put the receipt i got in the 2nd letter and i get "case ready for interview"..meanwhile when i use the numbers from the interview i actually attended i see no updates. So it looks like my fingerprints and info are connected to the wrong receipt. Sorry this is so confusing but keeps getting worse. 

Talking with my husband we agreed on i should go to the appointment anyway, thats the only thing im sure about at this point. Do you think they will want to take my fingerprints again? It doesnt make much sense. It would be great if the receipt number problem could be solved over there but i had a feeling that they were a bit confused when i told them about the situation when i visited.

27 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

I think your best bet would be trying to make an appointment for your local office and explain the situation there. 

The agent will have access to your files and it might be easier to personally hand them the withdrawal letter if necessary.

Not sure if going to the second biometrics appointment would help, as at the ASC, they basically JUST take the biometrics, nothing else. 

Oh i didnt know you could do that. I was thinking about going to this appointment anyway and explaining the situation all over again. Is there a website where you can book appointments at your local office? I felt because of the pandemic they are pretty strict and wouldnt see you without a letter.

17 minutes ago, Ana A said:

Oh i didnt know you could do that. I was thinking about going to this appointment anyway and explaining the situation all over again. Is there a website where you can book appointments at your local office? I felt because of the pandemic they are pretty strict and wouldnt see you without a letter.

Call this number to ask for an appointment: 800-375-5283

I guess you'll need to be very convincing about the need to fix this in person, rather than by phone or by sending a letter. They no longer schedule appointments unless it is really necessary. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
13 hours ago, Ana A said:

Do you think they will want to take my fingerprints again? It doesnt make much sense.

It's not that they would want take your fingerprints again, your two applications triggered the biometrics. When they actually process your applications, whichever is processed last, that will be denied since the first one will already have processed. At this time both are just sitting in a pile at two different locations. 

If you have two different receipt notices for those two AOSs, you can send the withdrawal for one including a copy of the receipt notice OR you can also let it run its course and it will die on its own eventually after you get GC from the other one. No need to panic.

As said, you can try infopass appointment but i doubt you could get one as they would simply say you can simply send the withdrawal letter.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

17 hours ago, Ana A said:

So this is very complicated to understand but basically we sent 2 AOS applications because we thought USPS lost our package. What happened eventually is USCIS processed 2 applications for the same person, sent 2 NOA1 and now sent two fingerprint appointment letters. I attended the 1st biometrics and assumed USCIS was able to realize about the mistake and automatically withdraw one of the cases. i even asked the people there and they told me not to worry about it that they already had my information. \anyway nothing like that happened because they sent me a 2nd letter. I was able to chat with an agent on their site and basically they tell me to send a formal letter to withdraw one of the applications  but they made another mistake and when I check my case status they seem to have updated only the receipt number from the interview I didnt attend yet!!! ((it says ready to be scheduled for an interview) .This is so difficult and Im sure im such a unique case but in short words i dont know what to do. If i dont attend the 2nd biometrics does that withdraw it automatically or make it worse? Should i attend and tell them about the receipts not matching? whats best? It doesnt make sense at all they would want to take my fingerprints for a 2nd time but Im so worried.. every time it gets worse and i need to do something to avoid getting two EAD cards eventually or even 2 green card interview appointments. This just made my day..

Did you pay for all this twice?

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.