TheGreenPenguin

Lost Green Card While in Canada / I-90 Form Questions [merged threads]

21 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, TheGreenPenguin said:

Thank you.

And as an update: I crossed the border on foot at the Blaine, Washington Peace Arch crossing. It was night time and I was walking down the sidewalk toward the building. A border guard in the booth where cars would go stepped out from his booth and asked me to come to his booth instead of going inside the building. I gave him my Canadian passport, the receipt for the I-90 form that I had filed online and a copy of my expired conditional green card that my wife had emailed me. 

He asked me a couple questions: Where I live, why I was in Canada, when I lost my green card. 

He went into his booth for about 45 seconds and then told me I was good to go. The whole process with him took less than 2 minutes. 

Before I left, he asked if I planned to leave the US again in the next few months and I said I was potentially going to in the winter and was going to go for an Infopass appointment to get an I-551 stamp in my passport if I didn't have my green card yet. He then asked me to hold on and called his supervisor and asked if I could get the stamp there. He got off the phone and then told me I could go inside the building and they'd stamp my passport.

I went inside and gave my passport and I-90 receipt to an officer in there and he said to have a seat and he'd be back in a few minutes. He came back a few minutes later and said he put the I-551 stamp in my passport and it was valid for 6 months and said if I don't have my green card by then to go to the Infopass appointment to get it extended further.

I thanked them and then left the building to continue my walk. As I was walking away, another border guard came running out to ask how I was getting to the airport - I told him I was going to call a taxi or Uber, he then gave me directions on where to walk to to get to an ideal spot to call for a taxi to pick me up from.

So, overall, everyone was nice and helpful and the process was very quick without any issues.

Sounds like a really pleasant experience, which I guess is welcomed after the not so nice one of losing your GC.

On 9/9/2021 at 2:07 PM, TheGreenPenguin said:

He came back a few minutes later and said he put the I-551 stamp in my passport and it was valid for 6 months

I'm assuming it's the first one on page #31 (*39 in the PDF order) of the CBP guide: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/2019 Carrier Information Guide - ENGLISH.pdf

I-551 stamp.JPG

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Great update, thank you. This will help so many in the same situation. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

One final update to this thread:

I had read that it would likely be months to receive my replacement green card. However, the process has been much quicker than anticipated.

September 6th: Filed form I-90 online.

September 7th: Received notification of biometric reuse in my USCIS account, and notification of the application being "actively reviewed".

September 9th: USCIS account notification that new green card is being produced.

September 14th: Notification that card has been picked up by USPS and on it's way to me.

So, 8 days from filing to card in the mail. 

Edited by TheGreenPenguin

4 hours ago, TheGreenPenguin said:

One final update to this thread:

I had read that it would likely be months to receive my replacement green card. However, the process has been much quicker than anticipated.

September 6th: Filed form I-90 online.

September 7th: Received notification of biometric reuse in my USCIS account, and notification of the application being "actively reviewed".

September 9th: USCIS account notification that new green card is being produced.

September 14th: Notification that card has been picked up by USPS and on it's way to me.

So, 8 days from filing to card in the mail. 

Wow! Pretty impressive. Doesn't sound USCISesque at all. 😆

P. S.: I ♡ USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.