Wouter

Interview at Warsaw embassy - case transfer from Moscow

467 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, we are Russian parents of our adult daughter, who is a US citizen - IR5 case. 
Question: NVC requires the originals of all listed documents for the interview. Which formally includes the original of the petitioner (our daughter) birth certificate. 

Our daughter keeps her birth certificate with her in the US.
We are not able to get the "certified" copy of her birth certificates from Russian authorities.

We also afraid the original could be lost if she sends it to Poland.

So the question: does the notarized copy (not the original) of the petitioner birth certificate work for the interview?

thank you

5 hours ago, A204 said:

Hello everyone, we are Russian parents of our adult daughter, who is a US citizen - IR5 case. 
Question: NVC requires the originals of all listed documents for the interview. Which formally includes the original of the petitioner (our daughter) birth certificate. 

Our daughter keeps her birth certificate with her in the US.
We are not able to get the "certified" copy of her birth certificates from Russian authorities.

We also afraid the original could be lost if she sends it to Poland.

So the question: does the notarized copy (not the original) of the petitioner birth certificate work for the interview?

thank you

Hello, I'm a US citizen, and I sent a copy of my birth certificate (notarized in the US) to my Russian mother to Warsaw. However, when she arrived at her interview in April, no one even looked at it. All they asked for was my mother's original birth certificate, its copy, and its translation into English. Hope this helps. Good luck! 

16 hours ago, ovb said:

Hello, I'm a US citizen, and I sent a copy of my birth certificate (notarized in the US) to my Russian mother to Warsaw. However, when she arrived at her interview in April, no one even looked at it. All they asked for was my mother's original birth certificate, its copy, and its translation into English. Hope this helps. Good luck! 

Dear ovd, thank you so much for your quick and useful answer!

• 3 weeks later...

We got our interview date today. It's one month away. Now it's time to get prepared.

There's a lot to do and make sure we get right. Some of the immediate issues:

• Which country to get a Schengen Visa in? It's looking like Hungary is the best option currently
  • Where to register for the passport pickup? It seems like whatever hotel in Warsaw that we're staying in would be the best option
  • Should we do the medical exam in Moscow or Warsaw? We could do the Moscow one faster, I think, so we may go with that option

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, smoothoperaytor said:

We got our interview date today. It's one month away. Now it's time to get prepared.

There's a lot to do and make sure we get right. Some of the immediate issues:

• Which country to get a Schengen Visa in? It's looking like Hungary is the best option currently
  • Where to register for the passport pickup? It seems like whatever hotel in Warsaw that we're staying in would be the best option
  • Should we do the medical exam in Moscow or Warsaw? We could do the Moscow one faster, I think, so we may go with that option

Congrats! When will the interview be? 

You can try Hungary, others that come up commonly are Spain, Italy, and Greece.

I believe passport "pickup" can only be done at two mailboxes etc locations or the embassy, unless you meant delivery? 

I am also thinking Moscow medical will be the easiest to do, less chance of the doctor getting mixed up with requirements and Russian, etc. 

20 minutes ago, Simplytex said:

Congrats! When will the interview be? 

You can try Hungary, others that come up commonly are Spain, Italy, and Greece.

I believe passport "pickup" can only be done at two mailboxes etc locations or the embassy, unless you meant delivery? 

I am also thinking Moscow medical will be the easiest to do, less chance of the doctor getting mixed up with requirements and Russian, etc. 

December 7.

Pickup would be preferable since we'll stay in Warsaw until the process is finished and assuming all goes well, we plan to leave directly to the US after. But as I go through the checklist, one of the items is a receipt of proof of delivery. Maybe this is not needed. But for the sake of clarity, I was thinking of choosing an address in Warsaw. 

image.thumb.png.7c3019bbf76add47268735d798e47285.png

But then this step says you'll get info for picking up the visa, so maybe the delivery isn't needed unless you plan to have it delivered.

image.thumb.png.29231cd654be7e57982eb4cc9abd6ea6.png

Edited by smoothoperaytor

Timeline
10 minutes ago, smoothoperaytor said:

December 7.

Pickup would be preferable since we'll stay in Warsaw until the process is finished and assuming all goes well, we plan to leave directly to the US after. But as I go through the checklist, one of the items is a receipt of proof of delivery. Maybe this is not needed. But for the sake of clarity, I was thinking of choosing an address in Warsaw. 

image.thumb.png.7c3019bbf76add47268735d798e47285.png

But then this step says you'll get info for picking up the visa, so maybe the delivery isn't needed unless you plan to have it delivered.

image.thumb.png.29231cd654be7e57982eb4cc9abd6ea6.png

Maybe check out this page 

https://pl.usembassy.gov/visas/family-based-immigration/

OBLIGATORY REGISTRATION WITH USTRAVELDOCS.COM FOR ALL IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICANTS

As of January 1, 2022 all Immigrant Visa (IV), Diversity Visa (DV), and Fiance (K) visa applicants must register with ustraveldocs.com and choose a visa pick-up option before coming to the Embassy.

We will not be able to accept your visa applications and supporting documents without proof of your registration (we will need your Unique Identification number, or UID). For registration and selection of a passport and visa pick-up option, visit www.ustraveldocs.com/pl or call the information line at +48 22 307 1361 (in Europe) or (703) 988 7101 (in the United States). Passports and visas are returned by courier; applicants may choose either Premium Delivery (for an additional fee, paid directly to the courier upon delivery to your selected location in Poland) or, at no additional charge, one of two Mail Boxes Etc. (MBE) locations (one in Warsaw and one in Krakow).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

It's far easier to just have it delivered to the Warsaw MBE location. Not terribly far from Centrum, plus you can call them and they'll let you know if it's arrived before you venture down there. Trying to send to a hotel could be problematic, especially if for whatever reason you need to change hotels. I personally haven't heard of a single person who chose that latter option. 

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

7 hours ago, slavaskii said:

It's far easier to just have it delivered to the Warsaw MBE location. Not terribly far from Centrum, plus you can call them and they'll let you know if it's arrived before you venture down there. Trying to send to a hotel could be problematic, especially if for whatever reason you need to change hotels. I personally haven't heard of a single person who chose that latter option. 

Yes, I ended up figuring this out. The instructions weren't clear about picking a location since the link it sends you to in the instructions is incorrect. 

So about the medical exam, the office listed for Russia told us they're fully booked and they got a surge of calls recently. The earliest time to schedule a date is the end of December. 

I'm in communication with the doctor in Warsaw, but contact stopped when I mentioned the country where my wife is from (Russia). Hopefully it's just a standard delay in messaging. 

I recall reading on this forum that walk-ins at the Moscow location are possible. It just takes time and patience. We can go and wait all day if needed. That may end up being our only option.

As for the Schengen, it's looking like Hungary isn't the best option and Germany is the ideal choice for someone who hasn't had a Schengen visa before.

Another update. 

I was wondering if I could get some clarifying information about how Russians can enter Poland. I contacted the Polish Border and Customs. Their reply was not helpful.

They said:

Actually during the sanctions imposed on russia due to the terroristic war in Ukraine there isn’t any exemption for travellers from russia who would like to enter Poland to interview at the American Embassy in Warsaw.

Basically, that it's not possible as far as they're concerned. The subtle detail of them purposely not capitalizing the country of Russia tells me they're not interested in helping. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, smoothoperaytor said:

Another update. 

I was wondering if I could get some clarifying information about how Russians can enter Poland. I contacted the Polish Border and Customs. Their reply was not helpful.

They said:

Basically, that it's not possible as far as they're concerned. The subtle detail of them purposely not capitalizing the country of Russia tells me they're not interested in helping. 

Holy smokes that's not good. I'm wondering if there would be any use in talking to the Polish embassy/consulates in the US... There is one right down the road from me, just to see if they maintain the same narrative.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.