EKT

Any experience with interviews in Auckland?

521 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Kiwi_Bdan said:

I attach a copy of my "table of contents" describing all the documents I submitted to the consulate in a sealed courier bag two weeks before my interview.

TableOfContents_ONLINE.doc 29.5 kB · 1 download

Notes:

1.  I lived in Australia for over 6 months, hence the extra police reports.
  2. My partner and I do not currently meet the "125% of HHS Poverty Guidelines" hence the joint sponsor, so not all applicants will need a joint sponsor.
  3. My partner was in NZ on a work/holiday visa. The NVC specifically requested documents to state that they were permanently residing in the US and not NZ, hence the documents showing return flights, expiring nZ work/holiday visa, and credit union statements for ongoing US financial activity.
Edited by Kiwi_Bdan

Thanks so much! We're also part of that electronically processed thing - so you uploaded all your I-130 evidence of relationship stuff to CEAC as well? This process is so redundant...

21 minutes ago, Victoria & Phil said:

Thanks so much! We're also part of that electronically processed thing - so you uploaded all your I-130 evidence of relationship stuff to CEAC as well? This process is so redundant...

Yes, anything extra that the consulate desires that isn't already in CEAC, you need to upload (including relationship evidence). They wont confirm submission or anything, but it needs to be there. My partner and I were advised by our immigration lawyer to add ~50 - 70 photos post wedding/post intial NVC application to show that the relationship has been ongoing since applying for the visa and since the wedding (as the two were almost at the same time for us). Photos preferrably show applicant and US petitioner together and with both sets of family and friends of each partner, in order to prove that you were a couple not only just together but in "public" and in the eyes of family/friends. Official consulate/NVC state information says these can also be messages and/or emails etc, but lawyer said photos are best. During my interview the interviewer did actually check the photos we had printed and submitted two weeks prior (these were both in the package I dropped off and I had submitted online to CEAC) .

PS: The photos we uploaded were a more recent different set than the evidence we submitted for the I130. So I guess, no we didnt upload the I130 relationship evidence, although i cant see it hurting to do so, especially if your evidence for I130 was post marriage. In our case the marriage and I130 were almost at the same time, and so it made more sense to have post I130 evidence as it also showed that the marriage was ongoing and genuine.

Edited by Kiwi_Bdan

Yeah, we’re in a similar position. We applied two weeks after getting married. It will be obnoxious to print all of it out, but better safe than sorry I suppose! 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I was wondering what the wait time is for an interview? I got my DQ on 18th November 2023... Do you think I will get notified about my interview before Christmas? Or is there still a backlog from the FIFA event... Missing my family in the US! 

5 hours ago, emma_nz said:

Hi all, I was wondering what the wait time is for an interview? I got my DQ on 18th November 2023... Do you think I will get notified about my interview before Christmas? Or is there still a backlog from the FIFA event... Missing my family in the US! 

If you scroll up you'll find tons of info in this thread, but you can also click on members Timelines (if they've completed it) to give you an idea. From the most recent couple of people who've posted it looks like you won't hear before Xmas but should early next year - seems to be around 3-4 months from DQ to IL and then another month or two until the interview. But the timelines will give you more info, you can also use the search function on the forum to find others timelines as well, good luck. 

Hi @emma_nz,

I’m in a similar position to you - I was DQ’d on Nov 16 (I think - all my docs were “accepted” by NVC, and I have messages in my inbox saying that all documents are received and I am documentarily qualified, but no separate notification).  

I was also struggling to find any information on timelines for scheduling the interview in Auckland. It seemed there was a 3-4 month delay caused by the FIFA World Cup event, but immediately prior to that there were a few interviews that were scheduled quite quickly, if I recall correctly (within a month or two), based on VJ timelines. I also dug up an old VJ thread where someone had mentioned that the Auckland Consulate sends the interview slots to NVC on the 3rd Wednesday of each month (which would have been Nov 15th).  I have no idea if that timing of providing the interview slot list is still valid or not though.  

Compared with other Consulates around the world I cannot imagine that the Auckland location would get that backlogged, surely…. I was assuming I might hear something from NVC by around Dec 20 (3rd Wed in December, and around 5 weeks since DQ’d).  I was planning on submitting a request to NVC for an update if I don’t hear anything one month after my DQ date, just to make sure I’m in the queue.  

I am updating my timeline, and will post here if/when I hear anything from NVC/Auckland Consulate.

2 hours ago, MT84 said:

Hi @emma_nz,

I’m in a similar position to you - I was DQ’d on Nov 16 (I think - all my docs were “accepted” by NVC, and I have messages in my inbox saying that all documents are received and I am documentarily qualified, but no separate notification).  

I was also struggling to find any information on timelines for scheduling the interview in Auckland. It seemed there was a 3-4 month delay caused by the FIFA World Cup event, but immediately prior to that there were a few interviews that were scheduled quite quickly, if I recall correctly (within a month or two), based on VJ timelines. I also dug up an old VJ thread where someone had mentioned that the Auckland Consulate sends the interview slots to NVC on the 3rd Wednesday of each month (which would have been Nov 15th).  I have no idea if that timing of providing the interview slot list is still valid or not though.  

Compared with other Consulates around the world I cannot imagine that the Auckland location would get that backlogged, surely…. I was assuming I might hear something from NVC by around Dec 20 (3rd Wed in December, and around 5 weeks since DQ’d).  I was planning on submitting a request to NVC for an update if I don’t hear anything one month after my DQ date, just to make sure I’m in the queue.  

I am updating my timeline, and will post here if/when I hear anything from NVC/Auckland Consulate.

You should have had an email telling you you're DQ'ed and are in line for an interview, are you sure you haven't had that, maybe check your spam/junk folder? What does your online status say, does it say it's in transit?

Compared to other consulates Auckland is still pretty quick even at a few months wait, a lot still have 2 year + waits for an interview due to their backlogs.

Good luck. 

Edited by appleblossom

4 hours ago, MT84 said:

Hi @emma_nz,

Ive got a bunch of posts on the previous page, and on this one. But essentially:

I got Documentarily Qualified on the 19/05/2023, received NVC email on the 31/08/2023, for an interview set for the 13/10/2023. It took exactly 1 week after this interview to receive my visa in my passport from the courier.

It took 3 months to receive an interview date after I was qualified.

the 31/08 was the last Thursday of the month (there were 5 Wednesdays in August before this) So I don't think the "3rd Wednesday" info holds any water.

Edited by Kiwi_Bdan

1 hour ago, appleblossom said:

You should have had an email telling you you're DQ'ed and are in line for an interview, are you sure you haven't had that, maybe check your spam/junk folder? What does your online status say, does it say it's in transit?

Compared to other consulates Auckland is still pretty quick even at a few months wait, a lot still have 2 year + waits for an interview due to their backlogs.

Good luck. 

I received two emails from “National_Visa_Center”, with the subject line “Notice regarding your Immigrant Visa Case”.  When I logged in, the message said “documentarily qualified” (see attached).  I thought I would receive a separate formal notice that I was in line, but assumed that might take a bit of time / may only come once NVC knows when appointments are available.  If you’re suggesting I should have had a separate email come to my email inbox (rather than the NVC portal inbox) confirming DQ’d then I might put in a NVC request now…. 

When I check my visa status it says “At NVC”.  

I heard about horrendous wait times at other Consulates, and so I assumed no further news from NVC meant everything was in order and I just needed to wait my turn.  In saying that I’d definitely rather confirm that I am in the queue just waiting for the interview!

IMG_0999.jpeg

IMG_1001.jpeg

I received my documentarily qualified email (19/05/2023) titled:

Notice regarding your Immigrant Visa Case becoming Documentarily Qualified

then 3 months later I got my interview date email (31/08/2023) titled:

Immigrant Visa Interview Appointment

That was it, nothing in between the two and no extra information. Both were from the NVC. The Auckland consulate then emailed a week after the interview date email with interview info.

Also, your case is probably quicker than this. I was held up by the no interviews for the FIFA cup in NZ. Ive no idea how much quicker they will be.

Edited by Kiwi_Bdan

1 minute ago, Kiwi_Bdan said:

I received my documentarily qualified email (19/05/2023) titled:

Notice regarding your Immigrant Visa Case becoming Documentarily Qualified

then 3 months later I got my interview date email (31/08/2023) titled:

Immigrant Visa Interview Appointment

That was it, nothing in between the two and no extra information. Both were from the NVC. The Auckland consulate then emailed a week after the interview date email with interview info.

Thanks!  I did read through all your posts - super helpful, and thanks for sharing.

I just re-checked my emails and did indeed get the “Documentarily Qualified” email (my wife and I have 3 kids, including an 8 week old, so I blame no sleep!) - Gmail helpfully stacked that email below the others indicating that I had a message on the NVC portal, so I must have missed it in my excitement the first time around!

3 months seems like a pretty quick turnaround especially considering the FIFA shutdown of the Auckland Consulate visa processing for July and August(?)

Yeh July/August.

Im glad its sorted :) I completely get it. The whole process is miserably beurocratic and completely lacking sufficient communication. But this blog post has been great!

Once I got my interview date, everything moved fast. The medical and interview are fairly easy presuming you're all good and the application is legitimate. Entering the States was a breeze. standard US immigration took 10x longer than it took the office guys at immigration to process the green card. I'm now sitting here waiting for my actual physical greencard and social security number to arrive in the mail (3 to 6 weeks after arriving in the States apparently)

We were DQ'd in September after FIFA ended -- it only took about a month for us to receive our IL, and the interview was scheduled for a month later. They definitely don't have a FIFA backlog anymore, but the holidays may get in the way. 

@Kiwi_Bdan Did you give your mailing address to border control for the green card and SSN when you arrived? I (petitioner) moved between my husband's DS 260 submission and his interview. I updated everything I could (sponsor form, USCIS change of address, etc.) and let the consulate know, but I'm nervous that my husband's green card and social security card will be mailed to the old address.

21 minutes ago, Victoria & Phil said:

We were DQ'd in September after FIFA ended -- it only took about a month for us to receive our IL, and the interview was scheduled for a month later. They definitely don't have a FIFA backlog anymore, but the holidays may get in the way. 

@Kiwi_Bdan Did you give your mailing address to border control for the green card and SSN when you arrived? I (petitioner) moved between my husband's DS 260 submission and his interview. I updated everything I could (sponsor form, USCIS change of address, etc.) and let the consulate know, but I'm nervous that my husband's green card and social security card will be mailed to the old address.

outline of how it went down:

TLDR: Yes you can check and correct the mailing address at the border when entering.

Arrive States, go to the normal immigration line you would go to as NZ citizen. The border patrol agent noted straight away that I was coming through on a greencard visa, but maybe you have to mention it if not? They take you to a special room where they hand your passport to another agent. You wait and sit till your name is called. ~20mins and they called my name. The person had been processing it the whole time. They asked me one question: "Is this address correct?" followed by my submitted address. You say yay/nay and correct it if need be, they give your passport back and you exit through to baggage claim. Easy as pie.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.