SabRob

Atlanta Field Office joint I-751/N400 Interview Experience

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi everyone, just wanted to share my experience at the ATL field office today. 

I applied for citizenship in Oct 2020 based on the 3-yr rule. I had a pending I-751 at that time and today's interview was a joint I-751/N400 interview. 

My appointment was for 12:55PM. My husband, 2yo son and I arrived there at approx 12:40, went through security (bags, belt and watches go through the scanner), then we went up to the check-in area, presented my interview notices and they took my picture and fingerprints. We were then told to go to the third floor. 

We entered a large waiting area where there were approx 30-40 other people. Every once in a while an immigration officer would come out and call someone's name. I waited about 1h20 mins until my name was called. 

The IO called my husband and our son in as well, but after a brief chat with him, he asked my husband to leave because he had enough proof that we both had entered the marriage in good faith. 

He then asked me for my interview notices and my green card and told me that he was going to start the test portion of the interview. He asked me the following questions: 

1. Why did the colonists come to America?

2. What is the highest court in the US?

3. Name one of the authors of the Federalist Papers

4. Name 3 of the original colonies

5. What group of people were sold as slaves in America? 

6. What is an amendment?

Once this portion was done, he asked me to read something off the tablet that was on his desk - "What state has the most people?" and asked me to write "California has the most people" on the same tablet. 

He then asked me the eligibility questions and I was done! He said he approved my application and that I was going to receive an Oath Ceremony notice in the mail. 

He did not ask me for any of the documents I had prepared, probably because he didn't actually conduct a I-751 interview. I came prepared with tax returns, bank statements, life/car insurance, photos, son's birth certificate etc etc. 

Overall, the experience was pretty good (except for the wait - getting a toddler to sit still for more than a few minutes is nearly impossible). 

I'm so excited to be almost done with my immigration journey! 🎉🇺🇸

N400 filed - online: 10/30/2020

NOA: 11/02/2020

Bio reuse: 12/30/2020

USCIS changed to "Interview Scheduled": 06/07/2021

Interview Date: 07/14/2021 Approved!

USCIS changed to "Oath Ceremony will be scheduled": 07/15/2021

USCIS changed to "Oath Ceremony notice mailed": 07/20/2021

Oath Ceremony: 08/06/2021 🇺🇸

22 hours ago, SabRob said:

I applied for citizenship in Oct 2020 based on the 3-yr rule. I had a pending I-751 at that time and today's interview was a joint I-751/N400 interview. 

My appointment was for 12:55PM. My husband, 2yo son and I arrived there at approx 12:40, went through security (bags, belt and watches go through the scanner), then we went up to the check-in area, presented my interview notices and they took my picture and fingerprints. We were then told to go to the third floor. 

We entered a large waiting area where there were approx 30-40 other people. Every once in a while an immigration officer would come out and call someone's name. I waited about 1h20 mins until my name was called. 

The IO called my husband and our son in as well, but after a brief chat with him, he asked my husband to leave because he had enough proof that we both had entered the marriage in good faith. 

He then asked me for my interview notices and my green card and told me that he was going to start the test portion of the interview. He asked me the following questions: 

6. What is an amendment?

Once this portion was done, he asked me to read something off the tablet that was on his desk - "What state has the most people?" and asked me to write "California has the most people" on the same tablet. 

He then asked me the eligibility questions and I was done! He said he approved my application and that I was going to receive an Oath Ceremony notice in the mail. 

He did not ask me for any of the documents I had prepared, probably because he didn't actually conduct a I-751 interview. I came prepared with tax returns, bank statements, life/car insurance, photos, son's birth certificate etc etc. 

Overall, the experience was pretty good (except for the wait - getting a toddler to sit still for more than a few minutes is nearly impossible). 

Congrats :)

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
On 7/14/2021 at 10:39 PM, SabRob said:

6. What is an amendment?

Hello, Congratulation on your approvals..

Did you get any update yet about your Oath Ceremony? I am trying to figure out how long it takes to get scheduled for an Oath in Atlanta!

Thank you

Timeline
7 minutes ago, manoni said:

Hello, Congratulation on your approvals..

Did you get any update yet about your Oath Ceremony? I am trying to figure out how long it takes to get scheduled for an Oath in Atlanta!

Thank you

Hi there! It took about a week to get my Oath ceremony notice from when I was approved. 

I had my oath ceremony yesterday at noon :) 

timeline: 

July 14 - interview 

july 19 - oath ceremony scheduled

august 6 - oath ceremony 

best of luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 minute ago, SabRob said:

Hi there! It took about a week to get my Oath ceremony notice from when I was approved. 

I had my oath ceremony yesterday at noon :) 

timeline: 

July 14 - interview 

july 19 - oath ceremony scheduled

august 6 - oath ceremony 

best of luck!

Oh  Wow, Congratulation again, you are done with your immigration journey

do you know recently how long does it take to to get a passport in Atlanta?

And thank you for your quick reply really appreciated. 

Timeline

It's about 4-6 weeks for normal processing and 2-3 for expedited processing (you will need to pay a fee to expedite it though, 60 USD)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.