Jump to content
AMJ6

Unintentional failure to report address change

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello everyone!

 

I have a problem. When we filed the K1 package my husband was deployed and we used his parents address in Baltimore as mailing address. When we filed the AOS package we kept the same address because we had to move in one month. After that time we moved like 3 times because of my army duty assignments so I didn't want the mails from USCIS got lost so I kept the parents address still. I wasn't aware that I had to let USCIS know the physical address change since the mailing address was gonna stay same. We are living in the Kansas for nearly 7 months now and I got my interview date notice for Baltimore office. 

 

I just figured it out that I have to inform them about address change while doing research for AOS interview today and filed the AR-11 immediately. I am freaking out after everything I read about the consequences such as deportation. Can you inform me if anyone had the same thing before? And how the change of address gonna effect my interview in Baltimore? Should I still go there on interview date? 

 

Thank you so much in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AMJ6 said:

filed the AR-11 immediately. I am freaking out after everything I read about the consequences such as deportation.

 

Relax.  You filed for AOS properly and now filed your AR-11.  You won't be deported, unless you do something much more serious than not reporting your address change.

 

Call USCIS to check if your new address is properly reflected in their system and ask for your interview to be re-scheduled and moved to the local field office that has jurisdiction over your current residence.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
13 hours ago, Chancy said:

 

Relax.  You filed for AOS properly and now filed your AR-11.  You won't be deported, unless you do something much more serious than not reporting your address change.

 

Call USCIS to check if your new address is properly reflected in their system and ask for your interview to be re-scheduled and moved to the local field office that has jurisdiction over your current residence.

 

Yeah but if they figure it out, is it gonna be a problem? Should I explain myself in the interview and let them know it was unintentional?

 

I'll call in a few days to confirm since I just filed it yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AMJ6 said:

Yeah but if they figure it out, is it gonna be a problem? Should I explain myself in the interview and let them know it was unintentional?

 

Well, not reporting your address change sooner is already a problem, isn't it?  Does not matter to USCIS if it was unintentional.  Your interview was already set at the wrong field office, and typically, the interview will not proceed if the FO does not have jurisdiction.  Even so, you will not get deported simply because of not filing AR-11 sooner.

 

But, you need to ask for an interview at the correct FO as soon as possible.  Keep all records of your efforts to rectify your mistake, like emails from USCIS about your request for new interview.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Chancy said:

 

Well, not reporting your address change sooner is already a problem, isn't it?  Does not matter to USCIS if it was unintentional.  Your interview was already set at the wrong field office, and typically, the interview will not proceed if the FO does not have jurisdiction.  Even so, you will not get deported simply because of not filing AR-11 sooner.

 

But, you need to ask for an interview at the correct FO as soon as possible.  Keep all records of your efforts to rectify your mistake, like emails from USCIS about your request for new interview.

 

Right, if they ask about it somehow how should I mention about I failed to do it quite some time? I don't wanna lie or try to hide it which it would be a big red flag but I don't wanna have problems about getting the GC. I'll send an email to ask about if my address change is on the records and if the current interview cancelled. 

 

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I am just nervous. Thank you for your time to answer.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

 

40 minutes ago, Chancy said:

 

Well, not reporting your address change sooner is already a problem, isn't it?  Does not matter to USCIS if it was unintentional.  Your interview was already set at the wrong field office, and typically, the interview will not proceed if the FO does not have jurisdiction.  Even so, you will not get deported simply because of not filing AR-11 sooner.

 

But, you need to ask for an interview at the correct FO as soon as possible.  Keep all records of your efforts to rectify your mistake, like emails from USCIS about your request for new interview.

 

I guess I can't contact them with e-mail, only way is calling USCIS. How can I keep records ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AMJ6 said:

if they ask about it somehow how should I mention about I failed to do it quite some time?

 

It's unlikely that the USCIS officer will ask about it.  In the off-chance that they do ask, just be honest.  Lying is one of those more serious things that could lead to deportation.  But if they don't ask about it and your interview is at the correct FO, no need for you to mention your late AR-11 filing.  If for some reason your interview is still at the wrong FO, you should tell the officer before the interview starts that you changed your address.

 

30 minutes ago, AMJ6 said:

I guess I can't contact them with e-mail, only way is calling USCIS. How can I keep records ?

 

When we called USCIS (about a different issue), they emailed us the details of the service request.  To be doubly sure when you call them, be clear that you want to log a request and ask that they email you the details after the call.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Chancy said:

When we called USCIS (about a different issue), they emailed us the details of the service request.  To be doubly sure when you call them, be clear that you want to log a request and ask that they email you the details after the call.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 6/3/2021 at 1:11 PM, AMJ6 said:

Yeah but if they figure it out, is it gonna be a problem? Should I explain myself in the interview and let them know it was unintentional?

 

I'll call in a few days to confirm since I just filed it yesterday.

We’d all have our beneficiaries deported if we were held to the address change.  Your timing could be better 😬 but you’re not going to be deported.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 6/3/2021 at 10:21 PM, Chancy said:

When we called USCIS (about a different issue), they emailed us the details of the service request.  To be doubly sure when you call them, be clear that you want to log a request and ask that they email you the details after the call.

Just an update. I called the USCIS they said change of address request is there but my address not updated in the system yet. If I wanna switch locations for the interview, Tier 2 officer will call me back and I said yes to that. When I asked about e-mail of the call or the service request, she said she's not authorized to that. 

 

On 6/4/2021 at 6:30 PM, Nitas_man said:

We’d all have our beneficiaries deported if we were held to the address change.  Your timing could be better 😬 but you’re not going to be deported.

 

Thanks for the information. You're right timing could be better and I was wondering if it's gonna effect the case in any way, that's why I'm nervous 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
“;}
×
×
  • Create New...