Zazzy

Filling in i-9 as US citizen without updated social or passport

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I need to fill in an i-9 form in the next week or so but am getting a little stuck on documentation. It doesn't seem like they accept the certificate of naturalization as a valid form of identification for the i-9 and due to the pandemic I don't have a US passport yet.

The nearest passport appointments within 60 miles are a month out. My social security still needs the restrictions removed and all offices are closed so that could only be done by mailing my original documents.

This leaves me with no documents from list A as I don't have a green card anymore, I can use my drivers license for list B but then you need a list C document and my social doesn't count with the 'valid for work only with DHS authorization'.

Has anyone else run into this or does anyone have any advice? The company I'm working with is having a hard time understanding I am a US citizen with the same rights as any other and not a resident anymore so I'm not sure how much help they'll be

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

A naturalization certificate is a list C document.  

See https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents

The above is hard to find.  I found it from https://www.lawlogix.com/i-9-practice-alert-ice-revises-guide-to-selected-us-travel-and-identity-documents/

It used to be a list A document.

Your employer cannot dictate what list A or B and C document(s) you wish to use.   

Edited by Mike E

15 minutes ago, Mike E said:

A naturalization certificate is a list C document.  

See https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents

The above is hard to find.  I found it from https://www.lawlogix.com/i-9-practice-alert-ice-revises-guide-to-selected-us-travel-and-identity-documents/

It used to be a list A document.

Your employer cannot dictate what list A or B and C document(s) you wish to use.   

Thank you so much! They really hide it way down at the bottom and I could only find information that it had been removed from list A when googling. I'm just glad they can accept it

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
On 5/12/2021 at 4:11 PM, Zazzy said:

Hi all,

I need to fill in an i-9 form in the next week or so but am getting a little stuck on documentation. It doesn't seem like they accept the certificate of naturalization as a valid form of identification for the i-9 and due to the pandemic I don't have a US passport yet.

The nearest passport appointments within 60 miles are a month out. My social security still needs the restrictions removed and all offices are closed so that could only be done by mailing my original documents.

This leaves me with no documents from list A as I don't have a green card anymore, I can use my drivers license for list B but then you need a list C document and my social doesn't count with the 'valid for work only with DHS authorization'.

Has anyone else run into this or does anyone have any advice? The company I'm working with is having a hard time understanding I am a US citizen with the same rights as any other and not a resident anymore so I'm not sure how much help they'll be

Hi there Zazzy,

Out of curiosity though, and if i may ask, why didn't you have the mention "valid for work only with DHS authorization" upon becoming a LPR and receiving your green card?

VinnyH

Timeline
On 5/12/2021 at 1:11 PM, Zazzy said:

Hi all,

The quickest way, is to drop off your NC at a SSA office along with Form SS-5.

Most SSA offices now have drop boxes.

It takes a week to change your status, and another week for a new card to arrive.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.