Newhawaiki

Overseas all of 2020 and taxes?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I was overseas in Australia all of 2020 with the my Aussie fiance. Now we are married and going through the AOS paperwork.

It says that I have to submit my most recent tax return for the last tax year, but I didn't make any income so I am wondering how I should go about this?

IF you did not make a single cent then you don’t need to file a tax return. Just include a written and signed statement that you were not required to file a return for the year 2020 because you we’re below the required income threshold for filing.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Not sure if you already know this or not, and cannot tell if you are asking about your need to file because you made literally $0 worldwide, or because you lived outside the USA and made $0 in the USA (but made some income outside the USA)...so to be clear...

US Citizens have to report all global income on their USA tax return (yes, even if you spent the entire year outside of the USA).  To be sure, this does not mean you have to "pay" USA taxes on your full global income - that actually depends upon the country and its tax treaty with the USA and there are exemption amounts for income earned outside of the USA.  But you still have to file (that's the law anyways).

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/frequently-asked-questions-about-international-individual-tax-matters#:~:text=Yes%2C if you are a,or foreign income tax credits.

Yes, if you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien living outside the United States, your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you live. However, you may qualify for certain foreign earned income exclusions and/or foreign income tax credits.

Edited by David and Anna

You will most likely need a joint sponsor if you do not have most recent tax return for the I-864 form. 

If you did not file most recent 1040, you will need to explain the reason with supporting document to proof that you were not required to file it. 

You are able to download the Non filling tax return transcripts from IRS official website as a supporting document . 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Henry1992 said:

You will most likely need a joint sponsor if you do not have most recent tax return for the I-864 form. 

If you did not file most recent 1040, you will need to explain the reason with supporting document to proof that you were not required to file it. 

You are able to download the Non filling tax return transcripts from IRS official website as a supporting document . 

Proof of non filing is not something you need to prove.  

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.