sarabou17

switching from ITIN to SSN: is it a headache??

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Is it a lot of trouble for CR1 visa holders to get a SSN when you finally arrive in the US if you already have an ITIN?  My husband who is still in Morocco is really hesistant to get an ITIN because he said he has heard it causes a lot of problems when you get the U.S. and apply for a SSN.  When I looked online, it looked like a fairly simple process, just writing a letter and including a form and the ITIN.  Does anyone have any personal experience with this that you could share?  Thanks in advance!

Edited by sarabou17

It is as easy as submitting a letter.    We had no issues.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

12 hours ago, sarabou17 said:

Is it a lot of trouble for CR1 visa holders to get a SSN when you finally arrive in the US if you already have an ITIN?  My husband who is still in Morocco is really hesistant to get an ITIN because he said he has heard it causes a lot of problems when you get the U.S. and apply for a SSN.  When I looked online, it looked like a fairly simple process, just writing a letter and including a form and the ITIN.  Does anyone have any personal experience with this that you could share?  Thanks in advance!

My wife has an ITIN and we are getting IR1 for her.  I never thought getting an SSN would be an issue or even related to having an ITIN.  On the last page of the DS 260, it asks if you have ever had a SSN and if you would like to get one.  No and Yes.  Done.  No mention of ITIN so I don't see the link.  ITIN will just expire if not used.  You would use the SSN for taxes, etc., as soon as you get it.

2 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

It is as easy as submitting a letter.    We had no issues.

Letter to who about what?  Am I missing something?  I'm assuming my wife and step-daughter will get their SSN mailed a while after arriving in the U.S. 

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

6 minutes ago, seekingthetruth said:

Letter to who about what?  Am I missing something?  I'm assuming my wife and step-daughter will get their SSN mailed a while after arriving in the U.S. 

@Paul & Mary   Never mind.  I googled.  The letter is so they can consolidate the records.

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?

Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due.  You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to: 

Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX 73301-0057 

@sarabou17  I think your husband is worried about nothing.  If you need the ITIN to file taxes married filing jointly, most likely it will save you a lot of money.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.