faevan422

H-1B/Work visa

33 posts in this topic

Hi, this is my situation, i am a canadian citizen in a relationship with a us citizen, we are currently looking at what documentation and paperwork would need to filled for me to be able to go to work in the states, this confuses me tho, do i need to have applied and  been accepted with an H-1B documentation or can i simply apply at a company in the states and get accepted by them and they would supply me with the work permit/visa, what i am saying is that im confused on if an h-1b is when you do not have a job offer yet but in my case lets say i do have the job offer would i still need to apply and be accepted for the h-1b documentation, the company says applicants must be a us citizen or meet the i-9 requirements of the immigration and naturalization service (ins).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They re saying they do not sponsor work visa's, you would need an Employer who does, if you qualify a TN Visa is probably your best option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I know enough about Electrician qualifications to be dangerous, are you qualified to work in the US?

Never heard of Unions sponsoring, would seem to be contra logical for them to do so.

Begs the question if you would be eligible for a H1b. The lottery has been done this year so you would be looking at 2022 anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Marriage would seem the obvious option.

that has been considered an option but just like the work visa's, I'm extremely ignorant when it comes to this stuff, as soon as we would get married and file the documentation would I become a permanent resident in the states immediately and be eligible to start working as well or would I need to wait the many months until the documentation is reviewed and processed and then be able to move there indefinitely and work 

Timeline

Best guess currently would be 18 months? COVID has complicated things.

Timeline

Give or take, you should be able to visit in the meantime.

Timeline

I have never come across it, you could look at a Student Visa. My understanding is that an Apprenticeship is different  and the State licenses I have come across have all require legal presence.

Sorry, I tried researching if being an apprentice would fall under needing a student visa or a work visa and I wasn't able to come to a conclusion it stated that being an apprentice is in between the lines of education and working so its unclear which visa would work. Do you know whether it would be education or work or if a student visa would work?

Timeline

May vary by State but  I think where I am Apprentices get paid. Presumably you could study a Electrical Engineering course at College?

I think the best bet to immediately go after I finish my studies in college in 2022 and stay there indefinitely would be to apply for a h-1b right now and hopefully get it accepted so I can move and work there, but since being an electrician isn't considered a specialty occupation I'm assuming my chances of being accepted would be slim to none correct? I am trying to research how to achieve the best possible outcome, me graduating from college and instantly moving to the states and working but my options are, get married wait around 1-2 years to get my green card then move permanently, get sponsored for my apprenticeship which is highly unlikely or apply for a H-1B so when I finish school I have my work visa so I can move there for a long enough time to stay while my marriage paperwork is processed and accepted but that's also unlikely because electricians aren't considered specialty occupations

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.