Ruthanne

Should I hire an attorney?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I need some advice on what to do now. I am in the black hole of waiting for security checks to clear. We filed March 2006. I have done everything I can. I have called USCIS several times for outide normal processing times. I have called a congressman and 2 Senators. Today I got a letter stating this can sometimes take years. Background checks are still pending. We cannot speculate about when the background cheks will be completed. USCIS has determined that no documentation related to the case will be issued at this time. They realize I may be frustrated by the progress of my case, but they must balance individual inconvenience against broader issues of public safety and national security. WE hope that hte recognition that your case has not been forgotten lessens any anxiety from the delay in the adjudication. So what can an immigration attorney do for me that I have not already done??? Any thoughts?

I need some advice on what to do now. I am in the black hole of waiting for security checks to clear. We filed March 2006. I have done everything I can. I have called USCIS several times for outide normal processing times. I have called a congressman and 2 Senators. Today I got a letter stating this can sometimes take years. Background checks are still pending. We cannot speculate about when the background cheks will be completed. USCIS has determined that no documentation related to the case will be issued at this time. They realize I may be frustrated by the progress of my case, but they must balance individual inconvenience against broader issues of public safety and national security. WE hope that hte recognition that your case has not been forgotten lessens any anxiety from the delay in the adjudication. So what can an immigration attorney do for me that I have not already done??? Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, with the heightened requirements for security screening due to threats of terrorism, extra processing time is not uncommon for those going through countries in the middle east or North Africa.

So far they haven't told you that you have been denied, but yes, you are way outside of regular processing times. When you called the USCIS, did you follow the RFE prompts, or did you just talk to someone at the national call center? The RFE prompts will get you to someone in the service center with your case, and they usually have better information than the national call center does.

keTiiDCjGVo

This was a letter I got from immigration after I called and my Senator contacted them on an inquiry. I am just wondering if hiring an attorney would be of any benefit to me and in what way could they help now? Or am I just stuck waiting the years they are saying it will take?

Edited by Ruthanne

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
This was a letter I got from immigration after I called and my Senator contacted them on an inquiry. I am just wondering if hiring an attorney would be of any benefit to me and in what way could they help now? Or am I just stuck waiting the years they are saying it will take?

I think it is unlikely an attorney can speed things up unless it is to file a lawsuit. Attorneys don't have any extra access to information about your case. A free first consultation couldn't hurt though.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I think it is unlikely an attorney can speed things up unless it is to file a lawsuit. Attorneys don't have any extra access to information about your case. A free first consultation couldn't hurt though.

When you say file a lawsuit on what grounds could i file a lawsuit and against who?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

What I would like to know is why is it taking so long for you, when others who have beneficiary's in Morocco have been approved?

Seems like something is not right here. Hope you have good luck with this if you haven't already gotten your approval.

I am also still waiting and received my NOA1 on April 10. I am now over 90 days of waiting.

GOOD LUCK

Sara El Malki

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, you should hire an attorney. Once you go past the one year point or so that is the best course of action. I am not so sure that an immigration attorney is the right answer though. You may need one that practices Federal Law.

The action you want to file for is called a "Writ of Mandibus" It is basically an action that forces the government to take an action when they have been delaying unnecessarily. It will get you out of Administrative Review. Usually they just release your file rather than go through the expense and time of a federal trial so typically it will force an approval. You do run the risk of a denial but at least it will be settled.

If you happened to read the Immigration Ombudsman report he talked about the goverment being faced with many of the Mandibus actions because of the delays they have had with A/R's

Good Luck.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Yes, you should hire an attorney. Once you go past the one year point or so that is the best course of action. I am not so sure that an immigration attorney is the right answer though. You may need one that practices Federal Law.

The action you want to file for is called a "Writ of Mandibus" It is basically an action that forces the government to take an action when they have been delaying unnecessarily. It will get you out of Administrative Review. Usually they just release your file rather than go through the expense and time of a federal trial so typically it will force an approval. You do run the risk of a denial but at least it will be settled.

If you happened to read the Immigration Ombudsman report he talked about the goverment being faced with many of the Mandibus actions because of the delays they have had with A/R's

Good Luck.

Mandamus. Not Mandibus.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It's not really a lawsuit. It's a writ of Mandamus to force the government to act on the case. It's a last resort kind of thing.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Good Luck.

Thank you so much for your response. If they deny my case then there are steps you can take also correct?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Most denials give you the right to appeal. It can depend on the circumstances. I think if you filed for a writ of Mandamus and they denied you there is no appeal. You forced and action and they took it.

Sometimes there are other courses, such as if you are turned down for a K-1 you can marry and file for a K-3

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.