HKC

SSN Update and Federal Jobs

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been recently naturalized and my passport is currently in process.

I'm also searching for federal jobs and I landed an interview for a citizen-only government job.

Do I need to update my SSN ASAP (if I get an offer)?

Or would that not pose a problem since I have my passport and I can use that for the form I-9? Some say that SSN update is for tax/benefits.

I read some mixed answers in different places and I am not sure which information is correct.

Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Get a passport card.  Then use that to update your SSN record.  Some local SS offices will do the update only if you  mail in proof of citizenship.  A passport card is the best document because it doesn’t cost much to replace after SSA and Usps collectively loses it or sells it on the underground market. 

Some federal jobs require your naturalization certificate.  Do not let that document leave your possession.  It takes years to replace.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

As far as I know, SSN updates would happen automatically by USCIS informing your updated citizenship status directly to SSA office. It may take 2-3 weeks from your Oath date. 

On the other hand, if you change your name or something like that, you may attempt to update SSA file by yourself by using your passport card (not passport book).

Federal jobs never ask you for your SSA records indicating your citizenship status. It is illegal for rejecting such an offer based on your SSA records. Worst case, they may delay your offer til you get your SSA records updated, this case is very unlikely. So, Keep working on your job hunt while when you are free, Call SSA office (after a month or so), check if your immigration status is reflecting on your SSA records. Then think of if you want to update the SSA records by yourself by sending your passport card and application etc. 

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Timeline
2 hours ago, ImmiGeek said:

As far as I know, SSN updates would happen automatically by USCIS informing your updated citizenship status directly to SSA office. It may take 2-3 weeks from your Oath date. 

On the other hand, if you change your name or something like that, you may attempt to update SSA file by yourself by using your passport card (not passport book).

Federal jobs never ask you for your SSA records indicating your citizenship status. It is illegal for rejecting such an offer based on your SSA records. Worst case, they may delay your offer til you get your SSA records updated, this case is very unlikely. So, Keep working on your job hunt while when you are free, Call SSA office (after a month or so), check if your immigration status is reflecting on your SSA records. Then think of if you want to update the SSA records by yourself by sending your passport card and application etc. 

SSN is not updated by USCIS automatically after naturalization. Every individual has to get his SSN status updated him/herself. The attached document explains it.

Usually name changes and  job requirements drive the need to update SSN status immediately after naturalization. Most states mandate a SSN change for name changes, to issue a DL. Most others tend to ignore as its not a priority for them.

M-767.pdf

On 4/11/2021 at 12:56 PM, MightyIndian said:

SSN is not updated by USCIS automatically after naturalization. Every individual has to get his SSN status updated him/herself. The attached document explains it.

Usually name changes and  job requirements drive the need to update SSN status immediately after naturalization. Most states mandate a SSN change for name changes, to issue a DL. Most others tend to ignore as its not a priority for them.

M-767.pdf 725.56 kB · 3 downloads

I have received the forms I mailed to SSO but haven't received the new SS card yet. Do you know how long it will take? I did not change name, just update citizenship. Thank you

Timeline
53 minutes ago, KevinSass said:

I have received the forms I mailed to SSO but haven't received the new SS card yet. Do you know how long it will take? I did not change name, just update citizenship. Thank you

In my case, which did not involve name change,  it took 2 weeks to get the new SS card. I would say 2-3 weeks is normal processing time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.