6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello, I'd like some advice regarding my situation if anyone can help. Basically me ex is the US citizen and I came to the US on a K-1 visa several months ago. We got married right away, but unfortunately things didn’t work out for a number of reasons she field for divorce.. We filled out the paperwork for the Adjustment of Status and work permit after we got married, but she never took me on interview .and I was victim of domestic violence ? I have few question , so can someone give us advice? Thank you for your help

1. What will happen to my immigration status?

2 After divorce how long I can stay in this country?

3 Is their any chance for me to stay in this country?

4. Is it possible for me to change my visa status into student visa?

Thanks

Hello, I'd like some advice regarding my situation if anyone can help. Basically me ex is the US citizen and I came to the US on a K-1 visa several months ago. We got married right away, but unfortunately things didn’t work out for a number of reasons she field for divorce.. We filled out the paperwork for the Adjustment of Status and work permit after we got married, but she never took me on interview .and I was victim of domestic violence ? I have few question , so can someone give us advice? Thank you for your help

1. What will happen to my immigration status?

2 After divorce how long I can stay in this country?

3 Is their any chance for me to stay in this country?

4. Is it possible for me to change my visa status into student visa?

Thanks

Do you have police records of the domestic violence?

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

After AOS approval, you can stay in the country without being married to your wife. But if your still in the process, you will likely be denied if you divorce your wife.

You will be out of status and deportable as soon as your AOS is denied. If you want to change to another visa, you will have to leave the country and apply for it. And to not jeopardized that, you probably want to leave as soon as possible. If you stay or are forcefully deported it will make it harder to get another visa.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I would suggest talking to an Immigration lawyer. I would expect if there were police reports of the domestic abuse you would have no problem staying in the country perminantly. It works for women that way I am sure it would work for men the same way.

You should not need to return to your country or to file for another kind of visa.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I would suggest talking to an Immigration lawyer. I would expect if there were police reports of the domestic abuse you would have no problem staying in the country perminantly. It works for women that way I am sure it would work for men the same way.

You should not need to return to your country or to file for another kind of visa.

Yes, see an attorney. You may find a domestic violence victim support organization to fund the legal fees. If you can document the domestic violence with appropriate police records, USCIS can make an exception for AOS.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I would expect if there were police reports of the domestic abuse you would have no problem staying in the country perminantly. It works for women that way I am sure it would work for men the same way.

I know about cases with well-documented severe physical abuse that got denied. They were finally approved after a number of appeals, but VAWA is not as easy as some portray it to be.

OP, you need to talk to a good immigration attorney.

I'm not sure if you can change your status from AOS pending to F-1 (student) - filing I-539 when you're in the country is for those who change from one non-immigrant status to another, not from an immigrant to a non-immigrant... Talk to an attorney - if you don't accrue any illegal presense here, you shouldn't have any problems coming to the U.S. with an F-1 visa, even if you will have to leave the country now.

Best of luck!

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.