sarabou17

Marriage Filing Jointly and Visa Approval

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 3/25/2021 at 9:07 PM, ra0010 said:

I understand. I’m just amazed by the lack of preparation from the IO. Especially considering that their job is to make a decision that has a profound impact on people’s lives.

Exactly.  They should consider the whole situation because as you said, sometimes filing MFS is a financial decision.  It's scary to think about who is making these decisions and that ultimately your fate is in their hands.  But I trust it will all work out!

Timeline
On 3/25/2021 at 3:41 PM, Chancy said:

But your interview was for Adjustment of Status in the US.  I assume you and your spouse live together.  Different situation and immigration process from the OP.  OP is pursuing consular processing for a visa for her spouse living outside the US.  There is nothing suspicious about spouses living in different countries filing taxes separately.

Ultimately for us it came down to a logistics matter.  It's just too complicated and difficult to file MFJ being in two different countries, with no IRS Acceptance agents in his country to verify his documents (i.e. passport), then the hassle with getting an ITIN with him overseas, getting certified copies of passport,  and not knowing whether a certified copy will be accepted or not, or mailing passports in the mail,  getting the power of attorney to sign the tax form, etc.  It was becoming a huge headache.  The thing is the evidence of bona fide marriage is a single list which could apply to different situations: couple living in seperate countries, couples living in the same country overseas, couples living in the U.S. already.  Ultimately, we will get the financial comingling that we can given our situation.  We are newlyweds and we are living in separate countries during a pandemic.  That is the reality.    

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 3/24/2021 at 7:11 PM, JeanneAdil said:

it does in your case

why MFS? when you need as much evidence as possible to Casa embassy to approve the visa

the foreign income of up to $107,600 is excluded by filing form 2555 with the returns

you have a big age difference as posted previous and you have to provide as much proof as possible to show a "bona fida" marriage and "real relationship"

and Casa is well aware of US taxes and the process anyone with red flags needs to do to start the commingling of assets

We decided to go ahead and do MFJ. 😁 I'm confused because form 2848 IRS POA has one address it should be mailed to and the W7 has another address.  Should I mail all the docs together to the address for Form W7 ITIN application ?  Or split them up POA and ITIN?

29 minutes ago, sarabou17 said:

Should I mail all the docs together to the address for Form W7 ITIN application ?  Or split them up POA and ITIN?

If you are sending in the W7 stateside my recollection is that you attach the W7, passport, and POA with the Tax Return.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
12 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

If you are sending in the W7 stateside my recollection is that you attach the W7, passport, and POA with the Tax Return.

Thanks!  I will attach them all and send them to the W7 form Austin address.  :)  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
19 hours ago, sarabou17 said:

We decided to go ahead and do MFJ. 😁 I'm confused because form 2848 IRS POA has one address it should be mailed to and the W7 has another address.  Should I mail all the docs together to the address for Form W7 ITIN application ?  Or split them up POA and ITIN?

they all get mailed with the tax papers together 

this is from the instructions on page 5

First-time ITIN applications. If you’re applying for a new ITIN, complete and attach Form W-7 to your tax return when you file the tax return for which the ITIN is needed

Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

they all get mailed with the tax papers together 

this is from the instructions on page 5

First-time ITIN applications. If you’re applying for a new ITIN, complete and attach Form W-7 to your tax return when you file the tax return for which the ITIN is needed

I understand now but I was confused at first because if you look on the instructions for IRS form 2848 it is supposed to be mailed to a different address than the address they list for the W-7, but then I saw on the instructions for the W7 that the form 2848 can be attached to the W7 if someone is signing the W7 for the non-resident citizen.  So then i understood that all things can be mailed together.  We are using the form 2848 so I can sign the actual tax return for my husband. :)  Thanks again, JeanneAdil!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.