Monica.44

American embassy in Cairo

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Some people I know keep saying that they got an appointment date however the embassy didn’t announce that they’re open yet

Does anyone know if they resumed working on the cases they have?

also i know that it could be a repeated question but does anyone know when are they opening?

Also is there a group conversation for Egyptians where they share any updates about the embassy and the interviews?

thanks in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Country-specific thread is moved from the K-1 Case Progress subforum to the MENA (Middle East/North Africa) regional forum. :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

14 hours ago, Monica.44 said:

Some people I know keep saying that they got an appointment date however the embassy didn’t announce that they’re open yet

Does anyone know if they resumed working on the cases they have?

also i know that it could be a repeated question but does anyone know when are they opening?

Also is there a group conversation for Egyptians where they share any updates about the embassy and the interviews?

thanks in advance

Could you be a bit more specific - are these regular cases or expedited cases that got interviews?

If their expedite requests are approved then there is a possibility to receive an interview appointment.

The embassy doesn't say explicitly that they are closed - they keep saying they have not resumed normal case processing that's why I asked if these are regular cases you know of (It will be of great help and an update to see how things are moving)

I tried emailing the embassy several times and got the general response that interviews will be scheduled by NVC no answer to whether they are resuming the interviews now or not.

I don't know of any groups but if you do please share them - it feels like forever waiting and any updates would be appreciated.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Nnmm193 said:

Could you be a bit more specific - are these regular cases or expedited cases that got interviews?

If their expedite requests are approved then there is a possibility to receive an interview appointment.

The embassy doesn't say explicitly that they are closed - they keep saying they have not resumed normal case processing that's why I asked if these are regular cases you know of (It will be of great help and an update to see how things are moving)

I tried emailing the embassy several times and got the general response that interviews will be scheduled by NVC no answer to whether they are resuming the interviews now or not.

I don't know of any groups but if you do please share them - it feels like forever waiting and any updates would be appreciated.

What i was told that they had their interview for spouse visa and they already flied to the states 3 days ago! I applied for fiancé visa and our paperwork is in NVC waiting for the embassy to open and receive more cases, once it opens i should receive an email to set my appointment

I have been waiting for a year and a half now and i just wanted to know if they started working on the cases they already have in the embassy already

do you have any idea about how to get an expedited appointment please?

about the conv group it seems like there is no any for Egypt and I received some msgs requesting me to add them to any group .. we can just create one and keep each other updated about the situation 

5 minutes ago, Monica.44 said:

What i was told that they had their interview for spouse visa and they already flied to the states 3 days ago! I applied for fiancé visa and our paperwork is in NVC waiting for the embassy to open and receive more cases, once it opens i should receive an email to set my appointment

I have been waiting for a year and a half now and i just wanted to know if they started working on the cases they already have in the embassy already

about the conv group it seems like there is no any for Egypt and I received some msgs requesting me to add them to any group .. we can just create one and keep each other updated about the situation 

I wouldn't know if the K1 expedite is the same as spouse visa CR1/IR1 - but fyi you would send an email to the NVC (there is a specific email for that) with the expedite request along with your proofs/documentation why its urgent and they send it to the embassy for approval/rejection. 

Unfortunately there arent many members on visajourney here that are from Egypt so its quite difficult to get updates about the embassy movement.

Please do keep us informed if you have any updates - it would be a great help

Goodluck !!

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 3/24/2021 at 4:26 PM, Monica.44 said:

Hey there - I am not sure if you heard or are a part of it, but there is a group of people who did join a mandamus lawsuit against the Cairo embassy. If you are not a part of it, unfortunately it is too late to join at this point because the case was filed a few weeks ago. All plaintiffs in the case are K-1 applicants. In our group, there are people who got their embassy appointments cancelled in March 2020 who recently got them rescheduled and some have even gone in for the interview. I honestly don't think that was a result of the lawsuit but a coincidence. Everyone has been emailing the embassy and the embassy replied to some people saying they would start scheduling k-1 appointments again from April-July, so I think that might be why they got appointments.

The rest of us who are waiting for our paperwork to be transferred from the NVC to the embassy. We have all emailed both the embassy and NVC and received generic responses saying due to COVID-19, etc. Our lawyer is going to be reaching out the US attorneys to push them today. The law firms that co-counseled the Milligan vs. Pompeo lawsuits have several facebook livestream updates a week that I'd also recommend checking in on. You can usually also ask questions in the comments they will try to answer. You can look them up in Facebook (Siskind Susser, Kuck and Baxter). I hope that helps!

Timeline
29 minutes ago, cararyn said:

Hey there - I am not sure if you heard or are a part of it, but there is a group of people who did join a mandamus lawsuit against the Cairo embassy. If you are not a part of it, unfortunately it is too late to join at this point because the case was filed a few weeks ago. All plaintiffs in the case are K-1 applicants. In our group, there are people who got their embassy appointments cancelled in March 2020 who recently got them rescheduled and some have even gone in for the interview. I honestly don't think that was a result of the lawsuit but a coincidence. Everyone has been emailing the embassy and the embassy replied to some people saying they would start scheduling k-1 appointments again from April-July, so I think that might be why they got appointments.

The rest of us who are waiting for our paperwork to be transferred from the NVC to the embassy. We have all emailed both the embassy and NVC and received generic responses saying due to COVID-19, etc. Our lawyer is going to be reaching out the US attorneys to push them today. The law firms that co-counseled the Milligan vs. Pompeo lawsuits have several facebook livestream updates a week that I'd also recommend checking in on. You can usually also ask questions in the comments they will try to answer. You can look them up in Facebook (Siskind Susser, Kuck and Baxter). I hope that helps!

Thank you very much for your respond. Made me feel like people are actually moving cuz i’ve applied for the fiance visa since 2019 and it took too long already for the embassy to start proceeding the K1 cases
Is there a group message or something you guys communicate with? I want to make sure i miss nothing regarding the embassy updates and the lawsuit as i don’t have a facebook account

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Monica.44 said:

Thank you very much for your respond. Made me feel like people are actually moving cuz i’ve applied for the fiance visa since 2019 and it took too long already for the embassy to start proceeding the K1 cases
Is there a group message or something you guys communicate with? I want to make sure i miss nothing regarding the embassy updates and the lawsuit as i don’t have a facebook account

No problem! We do have a group message but it is on Facebook messenger. At this time it is only people that are part of the lawsuit that are in it.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Dear all,

Does anyone know whether or not the US Embassy began to schedule immigrant interviews with NVC other than emergency appointments? They have not posted any updates on their website or Facebook and both NVC and the IV section gave me their standard generic answer to say that they schedule a limited amount of appointments with NVC.  

I'm at least trying to figure out if the wheels are turning at all and if so, at what capacity (ex. scheduling appointments at 50% capacity from pre-pandemic levels?).  Other US embassies in the region have communicated the status of their operations over the last few months but unfortunately it seems that the US Embassy in Cairo has not.  If at least they communicate with us we would have an idea of what is going on.

We've been waiting for seven months since my spouse became documentarily qualified for an IV appointment.  If anyone has any knowledge on what is going on at the Embassy it will be appreciated. 

Timeline
9 hours ago, Tareq NJ said:

Dear all,

Does anyone know whether or not the US Embassy began to schedule immigrant interviews with NVC other than emergency appointments? They have not posted any updates on their website or Facebook and both NVC and the IV section gave me their standard generic answer to say that they schedule a limited amount of appointments with NVC.  

I'm at least trying to figure out if the wheels are turning at all and if so, at what capacity (ex. scheduling appointments at 50% capacity from pre-pandemic levels?).  Other US embassies in the region have communicated the status of their operations over the last few months but unfortunately it seems that the US Embassy in Cairo has not.  If at least they communicate with us we would have an idea of what is going on.

We've been waiting for seven months since my spouse became documentarily qualified for an IV appointment.  If anyone has any knowledge on what is going on at the Embassy it will be appreciated. 

No sadly it seems that the embassy in Cairo doesn't really care, the only updates you're going to get are from their monthly issuance of visas.

Here's the link for it. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics.html

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Timeline

We have also been waiting since March 2020! So frustrating! July 28 I was notified our case finally arrived in Cairo, thankfully I was at the airport to fly to Egypt when I received the notification. I completed the DS-160  online, printed the confirmation page. When I arrived in Egypt- we got his police certificate, bilingual birth certificate, paid the embassy fee and mailed our packet 3 to the embassy through Aramex. We should be able to schedule the interview soon hopefully! They said it takes around 3 weeks after mailing the packet. I wish you all the very best for your interview and I hope we will also get our interview soon! In shaa allah

• 2 months later...
Timeline
On 8/25/2021 at 11:43 AM, Mohamed & Crystal said:

We have also been waiting since March 2020! So frustrating! July 28 I was notified our case finally arrived in Cairo, thankfully I was at the airport to fly to Egypt when I received the notification. I completed the DS-160  online, printed the confirmation page. When I arrived in Egypt- we got his police certificate, bilingual birth certificate, paid the embassy fee and mailed our packet 3 to the embassy through Aramex. We should be able to schedule the interview soon hopefully! They said it takes around 3 weeks after mailing the packet. I wish you all the very best for your interview and I hope we will also get our interview soon! In shaa allah

I got my visa issued 2 weeks ago thank God! And you should be able to book an appointment soon either you book it or sometimes the embassy contacts you with the appointment date

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 3/24/2021 at 4:26 PM, Monica.44 said:

What's your timeline? 

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.