Misiu

Is request for change of Embassy for Interview possible?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi, 

I am a Turkish citizen that lives in UAE as an expat. My documents are qualified in January 2021 and waiting interview letter for Abu Dhabi Embassy.

However it looks like things are not going well in Abu Dhabi embassy and we haven't even hear any IR1 visa interview is booked for April. We have members with November 2020 DQ date still waiting visa interview and nothing is progressing yet (Actually weird because until March interviews everything was seemed going smooth in AD embassy but for a reason I dont know why everything changed for April)

Meanwhile Embassy in Ankara is going pretty good with Interviews. On Turkish forums I follow, people get their interview dates for April with February DQ already for IR1 visa.

My question is, is it possible to change Embassy for interview in demand if you are citizen of that country? I am in UAE as an expat so I am here on residency visa basis which is 2 years valid and subject to renew every two years. My residency will expire in September 2021 so I do not have any ground to expedite my case. I still have my job and everything so Expedite doesn't seem an option for me, neither I have right to expedite while some people in UAE are geniunly need the expedition as we are all expats here and our stay here solely depends that we have jobs and lots of people are loosing their jobs already due to pandemic.

In this regard, what would be my chance to request my interview location to be changed to my home country? Is it possible? How long would it take? Would it make things worse?

Edited by Misiu

You can ask for transfer under these circumstances but bear it mind it will be at least a month for them to transfer the case. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

If it takes one month to transfer it is very good actually. Under current conditions in Abu Dhabi I am not expecting an interview before June-July earliest and might even be August. As an arabic country, Ramadan time is strict here as well, everything slows down to snail speed here and Ramadan is mid april to mid may. 

In case it takes one month, it means I might have an interview date for May or latest June which is still so much better. My brother is getting married in June so I will already be in Turkey for 3 week at least for the wedding. 

Edited by Misiu

On 3/20/2021 at 7:26 AM, Misiu said:

Hi, 

I am a Turkish citizen that lives in UAE as an expat. My documents are qualified in January 2021 and waiting interview letter for Abu Dhabi Embassy.

However it looks like things are not going well in Abu Dhabi embassy and we haven't even hear any IR1 visa interview is booked for April. We have members with November 2020 DQ date still waiting visa interview and nothing is progressing yet (Actually weird because until March interviews everything was seemed going smooth in AD embassy but for a reason I dont know why everything changed for April)

Meanwhile Embassy in Ankara is going pretty good with Interviews. On Turkish forums I follow, people get their interview dates for April with February DQ already for IR1 visa.

My question is, is it possible to change Embassy for interview in demand if you are citizen of that country? I am in UAE as an expat so I am here on residency visa basis which is 2 years valid and subject to renew every two years. My residency will expire in September 2021 so I do not have any ground to expedite my case. I still have my job and everything so Expedite doesn't seem an option for me, neither I have right to expedite while some people in UAE are geniunly need the expedition as we are all expats here and our stay here solely depends that we have jobs and lots of people are loosing their jobs already due to pandemic.

In this regard, what would be my chance to request my interview location to be changed to my home country? Is it possible? How long would it take? Would it make things worse?

Hello,

I just wanted yo let you know that things are not going well in Ankara embassy as well, I have been waiting for my interview to be scheduled since June 2020.

I would appreciate it if you can inform us about those Turkish forums that you mentioned, so we can try to estimate the interview time and get some hope.

One more thing to mention about the embassy in Ankara which is they are less likely to accept expedite requests, so it is not an option unless your case is extremely serious.

Finally, as I know if you file for a request to transfer your case from an embassy to another it would take around 3 months in the normal times, and I don’t have any idea if it may take more than that in the mean time.

I wish you all the best,

looking forward to reading from you soon,

Timeline
On 3/26/2021 at 4:32 AM, Maan_1980 said:

Hello,

I just wanted yo let you know that things are not going well in Ankara embassy as well, I have been waiting for my interview to be scheduled since June 2020.

I would appreciate it if you can inform us about those Turkish forums that you mentioned, so we can try to estimate the interview time and get some hope.

One more thing to mention about the embassy in Ankara which is they are less likely to accept expedite requests, so it is not an option unless your case is extremely serious.

Finally, as I know if you file for a request to transfer your case from an embassy to another it would take around 3 months in the normal times, and I don’t have any idea if it may take more than that in the mean time.

I wish you all the best,

looking forward to reading from you soon,

Hi,

I follow Yesilkartforum.com which is the most active and inclusive forum related to all types of Greencard and life in USA etc.

https://yesilkartforum.com/forum/

In this forum, the members who are waiting for their IR1/CR1 visa are getting it in very normal timing (i.e. you got DQ in Feb, IL in March and Interview in April for an example.)

I am aware changing the Embassy is a very complicated process, so probably I won't and wait for things in Abu Dhabi to recover.

Edited by Misiu

On 3/27/2021 at 7:09 AM, Misiu said:

Hi,

I follow Yesilkartforum.com which is the most active and inclusive forum related to all types of Greencard and life in USA etc.

https://yesilkartforum.com/forum/

In this forum, the members who are waiting for their IR1/CR1 visa are getting it in very normal timing (i.e. you got DQ in Feb, IL in March and Interview in April for an example.)

I am aware changing the Embassy is a very complicated process, so probably I won't and wait for things in Abu Dhabi to recover.

Hi,

Many thanks for your response,

I have visited the mentioned forum and I found that maybe like 5 to 10 members (maybe there are more members I don’t know) who have got their interview within like one month after they were DQed.

Also I have joined a WhatsApp group for IR1/CR1 visas which mentioned at the forum and I have asked about the interview letters and I have got a reply from one of the group members who informed me that he was DQed on June 2020 and his interview recently has been scheduled on April 2021.

I have understand that some of the immigrants who have a Turkish citizenship have applied for a visitor visa and they moved to the US as a visitors while they were waiting for the interview to be scheduled.

Finally, I wanted to mention a very important point, which is that the embassy at Ankara is prioritizing the Turkish citizen’s visas and the people who are residing in Turkey as they mentioned on there webpage:

Due to health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 global pandemic, as of February 4, 2021, the U.S. Embassy in Ankara is prioritizing immigrant visa services for Turkish Citizens and Turkish residents. For Third Country Nationals (“TCNs”) who have Turkish resident permits, please email AnkaraIV@state.gov with the front and back of your Turkish resident permit so we can discuss the next steps. Unless there is a genuine humanitarian or medical emergency, the U.S. Embassy in Ankara is unable to provide visa services to TCNs who do not have Turkish resident permits.”.

I hope that I have provided a useful information.

I wish you the best.

• 9 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Is Turkey still not accepting non Turkish citizen? My fiancée case was also sent to Abu Dahbi, UAE even though in the I-129f form we had it Turkey. What is the best way to change this? Through NVC or calling US embassy in Ankara directly? Thanks 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.