Elisa*

Dual citizenship american german

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey everyone!

I got alot of question. I googled some stuff already but it seems that on every website they say something else.

So i want to get the dual citizenship. My father is an American and my mom is German. They never got married. My mother married an american few years later. He also adopted me. I was born and raised in Germany.

I read that i should get the dual citizenship with no problems.

But how do i get started? I know this sounds dumb.

Do i call the embassy or the federal foreign office?

If someone could help me please

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

I would call the embassy and ask if you meet the age requirement to file period. There are restrictions if you are over 18.

I would note 5:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

The laws are the same for adopted children. Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I would call the embassy and ask if you meet the age requirement to file period. There are restrictions if you are over 18.

I would note 5:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

The laws are the same for adopted children. Good luck.

I. am canadien residance german citizen , and what wacken said counts for canada as well , here if your under 18 your adoptive dad can aply for you , but if your over 18 and live in the country ( other then germany ) for a period of I belive 3 years with a permanent residance card ( green card in the states ) you can aply for your self , call the uscis for informations , the phonenumber is on www.uscis.gov if you dont have it already ,

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi!

If I were you I would call the uscis and ask them. If you were born a citizen depens on the legislation when you were born. It is always easier to maintain a dual citizenship when you are born with them. As soon as one is acquired after the other one there is a risk that the first one can be revoked.

I´ve seen a lot of people on this forum saying that it´s easier if your not over 18, but I believe that´s a truth with modification. If you are under 18 you must get your american parent to recognize not only paternity, but that he will pay for you and be responsible. But if you are over 18 he just has to accept paternity nothing else.

Good luck

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi!

If I were you I would call the uscis and ask them. If you were born a citizen depens on the legislation when you were born. It is always easier to maintain a dual citizenship when you are born with them. As soon as one is acquired after the other one there is a risk that the first one can be revoked.

I´ve seen a lot of people on this forum saying that it´s easier if your not over 18, but I believe that´s a truth with modification. If you are under 18 you must get your american parent to recognize not only paternity, but that he will pay for you and be responsible. But if you are over 18 he just has to accept paternity nothing else.

Good luck

Whether or not you are over 18 is relevant, however, you need to do further research. As mentioned earlier, it depends on when you were born. Visit: http://www.shusterman.com/citz-chart1.html - to see which rules apply to you.

It's best to do your own research, it won't hurt to call USCIS, however, remember that the person you are speaking to may not be an expert on the subject.

As for dual citizenship, I'm not familiar with Germany's view on it.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry but no... I don't think you're eligible for dual citizenship...

If your American father never married your mother or somehow legitimated his parentage to you (payment of Child Support for example) before you turned 16, you do not derive US CItizenship from him.

For your adoptive US Citizen father, you could have gotten US Citizenship if he would have applied for Permanent Residency for you and you subsequently entered the US on that visa before you turned 18. If that didn't happen, you don't get US Citizenship from him either.

This is somewhat complicated and I suggest that you consulat with an Immigration Attorney who specialized in Citizenship issues (Bub Schusterman for instance) for a more formal consultation.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Is your American father on your birth certificate? If yes, you might be eligible for citizenship by blood relation.

Call the embassy in Frankfurt to figure out more. Or visit their website, you might find something there as well.

Angelika (Schweinfurt, Germany) and Chris (Tulsa, USA)

I-130

Aug 23 2005 - sent to TSC

Aug 25 2005 - received at CSC

Aug 29 2005 - NOA1 in mail

Jan 25 2006 - NOA 2 per email

Jan 31 2006 - Case # assigned

Feb 13 2006 - AOS Bill and DS 3032 received

Feb 14 2006 - AOS Bill paid and DS 3032 sent to NVC

Feb 27 2006 - AOS form and IV Bill issued

Mar 23 2006 - AOS and IV Bill sent to NVC

Apr 10 2006 - DS230 received and sent right back

Apr 28 2006 - case complete

May 2 2006 - sent to Consulate

May 4 2006 - received at Consulate

July 17 2006 - Interview in Germany

Aug 02 2006 - Flying back to Tulsa with my CR1 in passport

Removal of Conditions - I-751

May 2 2008 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

May 21 2008 - Received NOA 1 (extension letter) from VSC

May 27 2008 - Biometrics Appointment in OKC

July 22 2008 - touched

August 6 2008 - touched

February 22, 2009 - touched

March 24, 2009 - card production ordered

April 4, 2009 - Green Card in mail

I-129F

Aug 31 - Oct 20 2005at NBC

Oct 26 - Nov 3 2005 at NVC

Jan 10 2006- Visa interview

Feb 09 2006- Flying to Tulsa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Thank you everyone for your fast replies!

I was born in Germany and my father is on my birth certificate.

US does not have regulations limiting dual nationality, Germany does. SO unless you want to forgoe German Citizenship I would check that aspect out first.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.