JEulian

SSN application and RM 00203.500

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi

I've seen in different inmigration web pages and forums that you can use RM 00203.500 as evidence you are allowed to get a SSN. I really want to get a SSN so I can start getting some bank accouts, credit cards. Is there any information available because I just can find anything updated on this topic. Is a K1 really allowed to work on the first 90 days, there are a lot of mixing comments out there in the internet. 

thanks! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

No work without a work permit. A K1 isn't allowed to work without it but a K1 is allowed to get a SSN though you have to get it in your first 76 days after entry.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
26 minutes ago, JEulian said:

Hi

I've seen in different inmigration web pages and forums that you can use RM 00203.500 as evidence you are allowed to get a SSN. I really want to get a SSN so I can start getting some bank accouts, credit cards. Is there any information available because I just can find anything updated on this topic. Is a K1 really allowed to work on the first 90 days, there are a lot of mixing comments out there in the internet. 

thanks! 

K1 is only allowed to work when EAD or GC is approved. 

K1 can get SSN if filed within the first 75 days of the I-94, after that, it's only possible after EAD or GC is approved. 

You don't need SSN to open a bank account in quite a lot of banks. You can also be added as an authorized user on your spouse's credit card without SSN.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Letspaintcookies said:

No work without a work permit. A K1 isn't allowed to work without it but a K1 is allowed to get a SSN though you have to get it in your first 76 days after entry.

What do you put in form SS-5 under citizenship?? What evidence do you give to state you can get a SSN ??

1 minute ago, Ayrton said:

K1 is only allowed to work when EAD or GC is approved. 

K1 can get SSN if filed within the first 75 days of the I-94, after that, it's only possible after EAD or GC is approved. 

You don't need SSN to open a bank account in quite a lot of banks. You can also be added as an authorized user on your spouse's credit card without SSN.

What do you put in form SS-5 under citizenship?? What evidence do you give to state you can get a SSN ??

Timeline
8 minutes ago, JEulian said:

You're a legal alien allowed to work and the proof is your K1 Visa in your passport.

Your card will have a little text on it saying only allowed to work with DHS approval or something like that. That refers to the EAD.

Edited by Letspaintcookies

3 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

You're a legal alien allowed to work and the proof is your K1 Visa in your passport.

Your card will have a little text on it saying only allowed to work with DHS approval or something like that. That refers to the EAD.

I did this recently. NO you are not to select 'Legal alien allowed to work'. You need to provide your I-94 which tells your story basically. I also attached a cover letter because they denied my application the first time when I selected legal alien allowed to work. You can also always call your local SS Office. 

This is how it is done before EAD.

Edited by bebifa

Timeline
1 hour ago, bebifa said:

I did this recently. NO you are not to select 'Legal alien allowed to work'. You need to provide your I-94 which tells your story basically. I also attached a cover letter because they denied my application the first time when I selected legal alien allowed to work. You can also always call your local SS Office. 

Incorrect. According to the SSA guideline, K1 is within the categories of Alien Allowed to Work, even when you apply within the first 75 days, so that's what you must select. When I applied for mine I selected "allowed to work" and everything went through perfectly.

Edited by Ayrton

Timeline
5 hours ago, bebifa said:

Very much yes. https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Unfortunately there are some SSA employees that don't know how to deal with K1's that's why your application probably got rejected but as you can clearly see in my screenshot taken from the linked page I'm not lying. 

Screenshot_20210316-210453_Samsung Internet.jpg

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Very much yes. https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Unfortunately there are some SSA employees that don't know how to deal with K1's that's why your application probably got rejected but as you can clearly see in my screenshot taken from the linked page I'm not lying. 

Screenshot_20210316-210453_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thank you so much, this is exactly what i was looking for. The actual document that said that we could work. thanks! 

Timeline
53 minutes ago, JEulian said:

Thank you so much, this is exactly what i was looking for. The actual document that said that we could work. thanks! 

You can't work, you're an alien that with the proper DHS authorization is allowed to work. This POMS is just for the purpose of issuing a SSC.

Edited by Ayrton

Timeline
10 hours ago, Ayrton said:

You can't work, you're an alien that with the proper DHS authorization is allowed to work. This POMS is just for the purpose of issuing a SSC.

This ^^^^

11 hours ago, JEulian said:

You can't work unless you have a work authorization and that's the EAD or Greencard. Your classification for SSA is legal alien allowed to work but only with the DHS authorization you'll be legally able to do it.

Edited by Letspaintcookies

13 hours ago, Ayrton said:

Exactly.

Do whatever you choose to do, but I just got my SS Card in my mail today. Here to share the experience. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, bebifa said:

Exactly.

Do whatever you choose to do, but I just got my SS Card in my mail today. Here to share the experience. 

How long did it take to arrive? I am worried that it does not get in time when i will file for AOS , will that be an issue ? 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, JEulian said:

How long did it take to arrive? I am worried that it does not get in time when i will file for AOS , will that be an issue ? 

You don't need it to file for AOS.

Timeline
2 hours ago, JEulian said:

You should never delay AOS. You don't a SSN for it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.