cndrbk

Petitioner’s nationality on marriage certificate

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

my partner and I are planning on getting married (most likely in Mexico), and start the CR-1 process. 

I’m a US citizen but also have another citizenship. I was wondering, on the marriage certificate, if my nationality is not the US, it’ll be a problem to use it in the visa process?

thank you 

3 hours ago, cndrbk said:

I’m a US citizen but also have another citizenship. I was wondering, on the marriage certificate, if my nationality is not the US, it’ll be a problem to use it in the visa process?

I have a hard time to follow.

Which marriage certificate? The one that does not exist yet (since you are planning to get married)? Or a previous one?

In the former case, why would your nationality not be US?

Hi thanks for the comment. 
Yes, I was talking about the future certificate. 
Because to register the marriage in my home country, it’ll be better if the certificate states that I’m from there, and not US. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, cndrbk said:

Hi thanks for the comment. 
Yes, I was talking about the future certificate. 
Because to register the marriage in my home country, it’ll be better if the certificate states that I’m from there, and not US. 

Why be cryptic about your home country?  Sounds like you plan to marry in your home country.  Anyway, it's not a problem.  The US recognizes dual citizenship/nationality.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for those who responded.

Just fyi..
i've spoken with a few lawyers and more lawyers recommended NOT to put a nationality other than US for this kind of situation. 

Thanks again!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Based on this logic,, I guess that means people who obtain US citizenship after their marriage are SOL, because their marital certificate will have a nationality other than US.

YMMV

12 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Based on this logic,, I guess that means people who obtain US citizenship after their marriage are SOL, because their marital certificate will have a nationality other than US.

No. Those lawyers were just saying that if I have US citizenship, it'd be better to say that I'm a US citizen on the marriage certificate when I try to bring my family here as a US citizen. They are aware that US allows dual citizenship and there's no rule about this, but they were just recommending me not to complicate the case.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, cndrbk said:

No. Those lawyers were just saying that if I have US citizenship, it'd be better to say that I'm a US citizen on the marriage certificate when I try to bring my family here as a US citizen. They are aware that US allows dual citizenship and there's no rule about this, but they were just recommending me not to complicate the case.

It's not the first time I've disagreed with lawyers. LOL  Did they identify what they think the complication can be?  I don't see one.  Is it really more complicated to state your US Citizenship/Nationality when marrying in your home country, Mexico?  If it is, then maybe THAT is the complication to avoid.  It's no secret to USCIS that you have two citizenships.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.