Montreal F2B Immigrant Visa Wait Time

50 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

So glad that P.P. 10014 has been lifted! 

I’m an immigrant visa applicant for F2B or visa class F24 and will be assigned to have an interview at the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal, Canada. My priority date is Jun. 16, 2015 and D.Q. on Aug. 28, 2020.

Could anyone advise what’s the estimated wait time for an interview letter from the Montreal Consulate? Also is there anyone will be having interviews in Montreal, Canada?

Any input is appreciated.

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am an F3 and our priority date is November 30 2006. We had an interview booked in Montreal for March 23 2020 but it was canceled just 5 days before it cause of pandemic restrictions and then the 10014 proclamation. 

I am now hoping we get rescheduled soon. I have no idea what the wait time is in Montreal or if they are even booking family visas yet but I assume they will have to reschedule interviews that were canceled 1st. 

I read on the US government website they want to start having consulates book visas affected by the proclamation 10014 starting in April. But each consulate will be deciding how they process visas right now in their own area based on their current covid conditions. Montreal hasn't given an update since the proclamation was lifted to say they were going to book those interviews yet. 

Initially before the pandemic we were documentarily qualified July 26 2019 and waited till March 2020 for our appointment date. So no idea how wait times will be now with the backlog. 

Edited by MovingToFlorida

Timeline
27 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

I am an F3 and our priority date is November 30 2006. We had an interview booked in Montreal for March 23 2020 but it was canceled just 5 days before it cause of pandemic restrictions and then the 10014 proclamation. 

I am now hoping we get rescheduled soon. I have no idea what the wait time is in Montreal or if they are even booking family visas yet but I assume they will have to reschedule interviews that were canceled 1st. 

I read on the US government website they want to start having consulates book visas affected by the proclamation 10014 starting in April. But each consulate will be deciding how they process visas right now in their own area based on their current covid conditions. Montreal hasn't given an update since the proclamation was lifted to say they were going to book those interviews yet. 

Initially before the pandemic we were documentarily qualified July 26 2019 and waited till March 2020 for our appointment date. So no idea how wait times will be now with the backlog. 

Thanks for your input. 

It's so frustrating that your interview got cancelled just five days before... I totally agree with you Montreal Consulate will be holding the cancelled interviews first. I guess after the cancelled ones are done, they probably start to interview backlog cases of IR1/CR1 because IR1/CR1 has higher priority than F-base immigrant visa. I hope Montreal Consulate can give us an update about what's going on at least; so that visa applicants can be prepared.

Also, I'm very surprised to see your case, which is DQed on Jul. 26, 2019, still hasn't been interviewed; that means F-base immigrant visa in Montreal has been backlogged since at least Jul. 2019. 

I found an official link listed below will summarize immigrant visa issuance by post. With this link, we can see if Montreal Consulate starts to interview F-base immigrant visa. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/immigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-immigrant-visa-issuances.html

Cheers,

Timeline
4 minutes ago, andy@wpg said:

Thanks for your input. 

It's so frustrating that your interview got cancelled just five days before... I totally agree with you Montreal Consulate will be holding the cancelled interviews first. I guess after the cancelled ones are done, they probably start to interview backlog cases of IR1/CR1 because IR1/CR1 has higher priority than F-base immigrant visa. I hope Montreal Consulate can give us an update about what's going on at least; so that visa applicants can be prepared.

Also, I'm very surprised to see your case, which is DQed on Jul. 26, 2019, still hasn't been interviewed; that means F-base immigrant visa in Montreal has been backlogged since at least Jul. 2019. 

I found an official link listed below will summarize immigrant visa issuance by post. With this link, we can see if Montreal Consulate starts to interview F-base immigrant visa. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/immigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-immigrant-visa-issuances.html

Cheers,

Technically yes I guess that backlog is true. We woukd have had our interview otherwise. Not sure how many people are in front or behind us as far as canceled interviews. But I do think they should at least tell us if they are even starting to interview Family visas yet so we know. 

We had to get our criminal check done again as it expired and will have to go for our medical exams again as they are also expired. We can't do that again till we get another interview letter. There are 4 uf us and that cost us over $1200. All that money spent for nothing. 😕

Thanks I'll check out that link 🙂.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

Technically yes I guess that backlog is true. We woukd have had our interview otherwise. Not sure how many people are in front or behind us as far as canceled interviews. But I do think they should at least tell us if they are even starting to interview Family visas yet so we know. 

We had to get our criminal check done again as it expired and will have to go for our medical exams again as they are also expired. We can't do that again till we get another interview letter. There are 4 uf us and that cost us over $1200. All that money spent for nothing. 😕

Thanks I'll check out that link 🙂.

Wow, that's really costly. 

I only have to redo my RCMP criminal check, which expire at the end of this month, and would like to re-do it at the end of this year because I expect to receive interview letter next year with fingers crossed. 

Cheers, 

Timeline
Just now, andy@wpg said:

Wow, that's really costly. 

I only have to redo my RCMP criminal check, which expire at the end of this month, and would like to re-do it at the end of this year because I expect to receive interview letter next year with fingers crossed. 

Cheers, 

I hope you don't have to wait too long. 

I looked at your link and looked at FY January 2021 under Montreal and don't see and F visas listed. Hopefully they'll start showing up on there. I didn't know about that so thanks! 

Here is the link I was referring to talking about interviews being booked in April

https://www.state.gov/briefing-with-consular-affairs-acting-deputy-assistant-secretary-for-visa-services-julie-m-stufft-on-the-current-status-of-immigrant-visa-processing-at-embassies-and-consulates/

Timeline
4 hours ago, MovingToFlorida said:

I hope you don't have to wait too long. 

I looked at your link and looked at FY January 2021 under Montreal and don't see and F visas listed. Hopefully they'll start showing up on there. I didn't know about that so thanks! 

Here is the link I was referring to talking about interviews being booked in April

https://www.state.gov/briefing-with-consular-affairs-acting-deputy-assistant-secretary-for-visa-services-julie-m-stufft-on-the-current-status-of-immigrant-visa-processing-at-embassies-and-consulates/

Thanks for the useful link! Hope you'll have your interview soon, too! 

I don't believe there were any F-base visas issued from Montreal Consulate in Jan. 2020.

P.P. 10014 was lifted on Feb. 24, 2021 and I would expect some F-base visas were issued from Montreal Consulate for the month of Feb. I currently pay close attention to the release of Feb. visa stats report from Montreal Consulate. If we can see some F-base visas issued on Feb. visa stats report, Montreal Consulate starts to process F-base visas. 

Good luck! 

Timeline
1 minute ago, andy@wpg said:

Thanks for the useful link! Hope you'll have your interview soon, too! 

I don't believe there were any F-base visas issued from Montreal Consulate in Jan. 2020.

P.P. 10014 was lifted on Feb. 24, 2021 and I would expect some F-base visas were issued from Montreal Consulate for the month of Feb. I currently pay close attention to the release of Feb. visa stats report from Montreal Consulate. If we can see some F-base visas issued on Feb. visa stats report, Montreal Consulate starts to process F-base visas. 

Good luck! 

I wouldn't have thought there would be any F based visas for February in Montreal since the proclamation wasn't lifted until the end of the month. They need to give people notice to get their medicals done, book flights etc. They usually give about a months notice (from time they send an interview letter until the actual appointment date). Plus Montreal hasn't updated their site on how they're processing visas with the pandemic since Jan 19th and they were only doing spousal, young  children of US citizens and mission critical visas. No family based. 

Where do you find the Montreal visa stats? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, MovingToFlorida said:

I wouldn't have thought there would be any F based visas for February in Montreal since the proclamation wasn't lifted until the end of the month. They need to give people notice to get their medicals done, book flights etc. They usually give about a months notice (from time they send an interview letter until the actual appointment date). Plus Montreal hasn't updated their site on how they're processing visas with the pandemic since Jan 19th and they were only doing spousal, young  children of US citizens and mission critical visas. No family based. 

Where do you find the Montreal visa stats? 

That makes sense. At least we have to wait for one month. 

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the link you looked at before https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/immigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-immigrant-visa-issuances.html. We can see monthly IV issuance by post; in our case, we can search for Montreal to see if they've issued any F-base visas. 

Cheers,

Timeline
1 minute ago, andy@wpg said:

That makes sense. At least we have to wait for one month. 

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the link you looked at before https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/immigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-immigrant-visa-issuances.html. We can see monthly IV issuance by post; in our case, we can search for Montreal to see if they've issued any F-base visas. 

Cheers,

Oh gotcha. I'll definitely be watching this link closely too to see when F visas start to show up. Hopefully they send an update soon! 

Thanks! 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

Oh gotcha. I'll definitely be watching this link closely too to see when F visas start to show up. Hopefully they send an update soon! 

Thanks! 

Yeah, I hope backlog can be cleared ASAP with fingers crossed! :D

Timeline

F2b category...F24 class visa

DQ on September 25,2020...

waiting for interview at Montreal 

any idea what’s the estimated wait time for an interview letter from the Montreal Consulate?

bit disappointed....read an article that

The number of immigrant visa cases pending interviews at the National Visa Center (NVC) increased to 473,000 in February, from 75,000 in January 2020.”

does it means wait time has increased by 5 times? In normal times it used to take 6-9 months

Will they do something about backlog....

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Waiting_ever said:

any idea what’s the estimated wait time for an interview letter from the Montreal Consulate?

The number of immigrant visa cases pending interviews at the National Visa Center (NVC) increased to 473,000 in February, from 75,000 in January 2020.”

does it means wait time has increased by 5 times? In normal times it used to take 6-9 months

If you were DQed on Sept. 25, 2020, you won't have to wait that long because NVC fills in appointments with Consulate on first-in, first-out base. 

Also, did you receive a case update from NVC? I just received mine which said as below. From the letter, I guess they'll be taking aggressive actions to clear the backlog. 

Cheers,

Dear Sir/Madam,

This notice is to inform you that your case for an immigrant visa is documentarily complete at the National Visa Center (NVC) and has been for at least 60 days.  NVC has received all of the fees, forms and documents required prior to attending an immigrant visa interview. Your petition is awaiting an interview appointment. At this time, no further action is required.  We appreciate your patience.

Your case will remain at NVC until an appointment is scheduled, at which time we will send it to the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate General.  We will notify the applicant, petitioner, and attorney (if applicable) when an appointment is scheduled.

The U.S. Embassy or Consulate tells NVC which dates they are holding interviews. NVC fills these appointments on a first-in, first-out basis and is unable to predict when an interview will be scheduled.

Visa interviews at many U.S. Embassies and Consulates have been delayed as a result of the global COVID-19 outbreak.  For the most up-to-date information about the U.S. Embassy or Consulate's operating status, please visit their website at 
https://www.usembassy.gov.

The next communication you receive from NVC will be either a notice that your appointment is scheduled, or if an appointment is not scheduled within the next 120 days, we will send a notice confirming that your case is still in line for an interview.

Important: The applicant should not make any permanent financial commitments until they have received their immigrant visa. This includes activities such as: 
- Selling a house, car or property, 
- Resigning from a job, or;
- Making other travel arrangements.

Thank you for your continued patience. 

Regards, 
National Visa Center 
U.S. Department of State 

https://nvc.state.gov

Edited by andy@wpg

Timeline
7 hours ago, Waiting_ever said:

Hi there

We are F3 category and we already had an interview booked before the pandemic shut everything down. It was booked March 23rd 2020 and canceled 5 days before so now we need to be rescheduled. 

The newest update on the Montreal Consulate website says they are now processing immigration visas but are prioritizing immediate family and fiance visas. I believe your visa type is unmarried adult child correct? If so adult children are not considered immediate family. I'm assuming they are still processing Family based visas like ours but they won't be the priority. Their updates are so vague it's always hard to tell. 

I am hoping they reschedule those who already had interviews booked first. We were DQ in July 2019 and our interview appointment was March 23 2020 so we waited 8 months and that was before the pandemic. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, andy@wpg said:

If you were DQed on Sept. 25, 2020, you won't have to wait that long because NVC fills in appointments with Consulate on first-in, first-out base. 

Also, did you receive a case update from NVC? I just received mine which said as below. From the letter, I guess they'll be taking aggressive actions to clear the backlog. 

Cheers,

Dear Sir/Madam,

This notice is to inform you that your case for an immigrant visa is documentarily complete at the National Visa Center (NVC) and has been for at least 60 days.  NVC has received all of the fees, forms and documents required prior to attending an immigrant visa interview. Your petition is awaiting an interview appointment. At this time, no further action is required.  We appreciate your patience.

Your case will remain at NVC until an appointment is scheduled, at which time we will send it to the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate General.  We will notify the applicant, petitioner, and attorney (if applicable) when an appointment is scheduled.

The U.S. Embassy or Consulate tells NVC which dates they are holding interviews. NVC fills these appointments on a first-in, first-out basis and is unable to predict when an interview will be scheduled.

Visa interviews at many U.S. Embassies and Consulates have been delayed as a result of the global COVID-19 outbreak.  For the most up-to-date information about the U.S. Embassy or Consulate's operating status, please visit their website at 
https://www.usembassy.gov.

The next communication you receive from NVC will be either a notice that your appointment is scheduled, or if an appointment is not scheduled within the next 120 days, we will send a notice confirming that your case is still in line for an interview.

Important: The applicant should not make any permanent financial commitments until they have received their immigrant visa. This includes activities such as: 
- Selling a house, car or property, 
- Resigning from a job, or;
- Making other travel arrangements.

Thank you for your continued patience. 

Regards, 
National Visa Center 
U.S. Department of State 

https://nvc.state.gov

We are F3 and we had an interview booked in Montreal for last March 23 2020 and it was canceled 5 days before it cause of the pandemic so we need to be rescheduled now. We were DQ July 2019 so we waited 8 months for our appointment date in Montreal and that was before the pandemic. 

From the Montreal website it says they are processing immigration visas but are prioritizing immediate family and fiance visas. Immediate family is young children and parents of US citizens. 

No idea when we'll be rescheduled. I'm assuming they will reschedule canceled appointments before new visa appointments. That's what they did when they had fully canceled all appointments then started up with only specific visa types. They did get through the rescheduled appointments pretty fast in Montreal so I guess all we can do is wait and see now that the proclamation is lifted. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.