Kdd1214

CR-1 4 weeks no SSN, Work while waiting possible?

3 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

Little bit of background: My husband's CR-1 visa was approved December 16th, 2020, paid the immigration fee December 23, arrived in the US January 16th. When we submitted the DS-260, we selected the create a social security number option and were told by our lawyer that we should receive the SSN within 1-3 weeks of arriving in the USA. Since we hadn't received it yet (and our lawyer has often told us the wrong information) I called the Social Security office on Friday and the person said that there was no evidence that he was even in the system yet. She said that he would need to wait 2-3 months due to COVID to begin the process of applying from the beginning because they don't want there to be a duplicate number. This is the part that we are both confused/frustrated by, with the CR-1 visa and the stamp, technically he is eligible to work in the US but how can he work if he doesn't have a SSN yet for payroll? Has anyone successfully been able to secure employment without a SSN to provide right away? 

Any advice on SSN problems, possibilities to work w/o having the actual SSN yet or pretty much anything would be amazing! 

11 minutes ago, Kdd1214 said:

Has anyone successfully been able to secure employment without a SSN to provide right away?

Yes, JFH's case is an example:

https://www.twc.texas.gov/news/efte/employees_without_ssns.html "It is certainly legal to hire someone who is authorized to work in this country, but who does not have a social security number or who chooses not to disclose it."

For employers that use E-Verify, the employer can select "Awaiting Social Security number." https://www.e-verify.gov/faq/my-employee-applied-for-a-social-security-number-ssn-but-has-not-yet-received-it-what-should-i "If a newly hired employee has applied for, but has not yet received his or her SSN (e.g., the employee is a newly arrived immigrant), attach an explanation to the employee’s Form I-9 and set it aside. Then create a case in E-Verify using the employee’s SSN as soon as it is available. If you are unable to create a case by the third business day after the employee’s first day of employment, select Awaiting Social Security number when prompted by E-Verify."

On 2/14/2021 at 4:34 PM, HRQX said:

Yes, JFH's case is an example:

https://www.twc.texas.gov/news/efte/employees_without_ssns.html "It is certainly legal to hire someone who is authorized to work in this country, but who does not have a social security number or who chooses not to disclose it."

For employers that use E-Verify, the employer can select "Awaiting Social Security number." https://www.e-verify.gov/faq/my-employee-applied-for-a-social-security-number-ssn-but-has-not-yet-received-it-what-should-i "If a newly hired employee has applied for, but has not yet received his or her SSN (e.g., the employee is a newly arrived immigrant), attach an explanation to the employee’s Form I-9 and set it aside. Then create a case in E-Verify using the employee’s SSN as soon as it is available. If you are unable to create a case by the third business day after the employee’s first day of employment, select Awaiting Social Security number when prompted by E-Verify."

Awesome, thank you for the information and super helpful links! :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.