midsummer

AFP National Police Check - change of wording

17 posts in this topic

Just a head's up for anyone requesting a national police check from the Australian Federal Police. From December 15th 2020, code number 33 Immigration/Citizenship – for Supply to the Department of Home Affairs, will result in a certificate, that shows 'Immigration / Citizenship - Australia'. It used to say, 'Complete Disclosure All recorded offences released'. So if you've read the forum here or requested one previously and wondered if you've ordered the right one, this post is for you. 

The change was published here: https://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/services/criminal-records/national-police-checks 

Edited by midsummer

Just now, HRQX said:

Is code 33 still the correct one? Is NVC aware of the change?

I explained to the AFP why I wanted it when I called last month and was told this is the correct one. They did tell me to refer the Consulate to the notice if any questions were asked. I don't know if NVC is aware of the change.

6 minutes ago, midsummer said:

I don't know if NVC is aware of the change.

Looks like Sydney consulate is doing a major error by either not noticing the change or not notifying DOS about the change: https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050404.html "Reporting Availability of Police Certificates to the Department: Consular officers should periodically discuss with the host government the availability and quality of police clearance information, as well as the procedures to be followed for visa applicants to obtain clearances both within and outside the country. Posts should provide information concerning the degree of automation and centralization of records, as well as any purge procedures followed by the host country. Posts should also determine how criminal records are indexed in their nation. The use of a unique national identification number as opposed to nonstandard spellings of names is also significant. Posts should provide background to the Department’s Immigration and Employment Division (CA/VO/F/IE), as well as draft language for inclusion in the Reciprocity Schedule. Posts should clear information among all Department of State consular operations within their country and with the regional security officers (RSOs) and coordinate with like-minded foreign embassies as appropriate."

I really couldn't say if they are aware and have informed NVC or not. My interview is scheduled for next week and the process is different for K-1. I expect the AFP staffer I spoke to was just being cautious and all being well, the AFP, the Consulate and the NVC are already across this. I'll update when I've had my interview. 

I re-checked the Australia specific advice https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/australia.html

This is a match for the advice I received by the AFP. To reiterate it is only the wording on the certificate that you receive that has changed. In all other respects it is the same.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

its weird because we got 33 and 35, 35 listed things that 33 did not and we had to submit additional docs for these things and now we are awaiting in limbo land... 

• 2 weeks later...

The updated AFP police check was accepted without issue and no questions were asked about the change to the wording of the certificate. The system is working :)

On 2/3/2021 at 10:54 AM, jessicamolley said:

its weird because we got 33 and 35, 35 listed things that 33 did not and we had to submit additional docs for these things and now we are awaiting in limbo land... 

I wonder if that's why they changed the wording? I guess it has something to do with the reciprocal agreements between countries as to what does and what does not show but I'm surprised they differ between the 33 and the 35 in particular. 

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately my Australian Police Certificate has just been rejected (April 2022). I called NVC and they said it was most likely because it didn't have the words "complete disclosure'. I am now submitting for one with a fingerprint check because I do not know what else to do... 

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2022 at 8:28 AM, haiku said:

Unfortunately my Australian Police Certificate has just been rejected (April 2022). I called NVC and they said it was most likely because it didn't have the words "complete disclosure'. I am now submitting for one with a fingerprint check because I do not know what else to do... 

On April 20, 2022, we submitted to NVC the AFP document received after choosing for reason code #33.  It has the wording “no disclosable court outcomes” rather than “complete disclosure” which apparently the previous AFP certificate read. Basically, the meaning is exactly the same but the NVC clerk may be looking for the previous version’s wording which is “complete disclosure” 

Immigration/Citizenship - Australia Name Check Only.  This is to certify that there are no disclosable court outcomes”. 

Fingers crossed it’s okay but still waiting for result after  submitting this June 20. 

I got dq today. Submitted may 19th 

I submitted the code 33 police check. Front and back scanned. 

I honestly think some people just get unlucky with the person who looks at it. 

• 2 weeks later...

We've submitted both 33 and 35 and gotten both rejected. We've contacted the AFP to make sure we had the right certificate following the directions on travel.state.gov

They said we did. Not sure what else to do now beside reupload it with the emails from AFP saying that these are the certificates they issue and that there's been a wording change. 

Resubmitted the emails and the police certificate on 11 July - now the wait begins again

Edited by mekbus

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mebus and all,

I ended up getting the fingerprint check done, as well as the name check putting both the Australian and German Spelling of my name. Finally got approved when I brought it to the interview. 

We called NVC several times and they could not tell us why they were wrong. I think we were just unlucky, which set us back almost 6 months...

When the consular official looked at them during the interview there was no problem at all and both were accepted. 

Good Luck!

Heike 

On 9/3/2022 at 1:02 AM, haiku said:

Hi Mebus and all,

I ended up getting the fingerprint check done, as well as the name check putting both the Australian and German Spelling of my name. Finally got approved when I brought it to the interview. 

We called NVC several times and they could not tell us why they were wrong. I think we were just unlucky, which set us back almost 6 months...

When the consular official looked at them during the interview there was no problem at all and both were accepted. 

Good Luck!

Heike 

Congrats! Btw, I am guessing your interview / location is not in Australia? (and you just happened to be living in Australia for a while so you'd need a police clearance) The Sydney consulate has a ridiculous backup.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.