Mydy

Selective Services - Worried Mom

26 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Witha K the very first thing you get is a SSN.

K-1 is the only K status that has a chance for SSN before receiving EAD or GC. He entered with K-2 so not eligible at all for SSN before he received the EAD or GC: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530 "Legal alien not allowed to work" "NOTE: When an alien listed below has an (*) next to the description, he/she may work only when DHS grants employment authorization and issues an EAD. When the alien presents an EAD, check the CITIZENSHIP FIELD “Legal alien allowed to work” and code the PRA with an N."

https://www.visajourney.com/guides/social-security-number/ "For K2, K3, K4 Visa Holders"

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

The very first thing some K visa holders including my wife  do  is get an SSN.  As we have noticed on the web site, some don’t. Some come to VJ after the mistake instead of before the mistake.

Yup, looks like he didn't have SSN when filing I-485. See above links about K-2 and SSN.

Definitely call selective service to ensure he wasn't already registered. 

Similar situation happened to my husband. He was registered before being issued ssn and status check on the website came back negative. Only after calling we were able to confirm he was actually registered at 19 years old. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Boiler said:

Witha K the very first thing you get is a SSN.

It  is his responsibility to ensure he registered.

I understand where you are coming from. We know it is his responsibility to ensure he is registered. But just like what Mike E said, “There was no willful attempt to evade the military draft. 

I read this from SSS website:

“Driver’s License: There are two forms of DLL, optional and automatic. States with optional DLL allow men 18-25 to opt in or out of having their information transferred to Selective Service for registration by checking a box when applying for a state learner’s permit, driver’s license or renewal, or I.D. card. States with automatic DLL process a man’s application for a state learner’s permit, driver’s license or renewal, or I.D. card as consent to have his information automatically transferred to Selective Service for registration if he is between the ages of 18-25.”

Guam DL application form has a portion where you can choose to Opt-in or Opt-out for Selective Service Registration. He said he chose to Opt-In:

“Guam

Driver’s License: Yes, opt-in

Education & Government Employment: None

On May 3, 2004, Gov. Felix P. Camacho signed a law stipulating that men age 18 through age 25 in Guam may opt to be registered with the Selective Service System when they apply to obtain or renew a state driver’s license. This law became effective on September 1, 2004. The start date was December 9, 2004, when Selective Service began receiving electronic data transmissions.“

Shouldn’t his information be transferred to SsS then? He assumed he is registered when he opted in. His only failure is to check it with SSS.

He will be calling SSS to check.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

17 hours ago, discoverusa said:

Definitely call selective service to ensure he wasn't already registered. 

Similar situation happened to my husband. He was registered before being issued ssn and status check on the website came back negative. Only after calling we were able to confirm he was actually registered at 19 years old. 

Hi, my son called and found out the reason why he cant find his name on the SSS website: His social security number is missing. He was registered Sept 2016. They updated his info ans now we can find his registration online.

Thank you so much, guys! I have been getting mad at my boy since yesterday because I got too worried. 

Edited by Mydy
Correction

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
On 1/30/2021 at 11:16 PM, aaron2020 said:

Your son may want to wait until he turns 31 to apply for US citizenship.

When he got his green card, he also received information that he was required to register with selective service.  Hard to claim ignorance of the requirement when he was given the information.  

I arrived to the US as a resident when I was 2 weeks away from turning 26, and I received my letter with that information about selective service when I was already 26, so no way I could've known that information.

I sent a request to the select service offices to see if I should've had registered before, and they gave me a letter saying I didn't need to register, because I've entered the country before turning 26 as a tourist, which to me doesn't make much sense, but the letter clearly says I didn't need to, so that's what I'm taking to my interview.  🤷🏻‍♂️

So for the OP, sent a request to selective services to see what's your status and if you had to register or not.

9 hours ago, Mydy said:

Hi, my son called and found out the reason why he cant find his name on the SSS website: His social security number is missing. He was registered Sept 2016. They updated his info ans now we can find his registration online.

Thank you so much, guys! I have been getting mad at my boy since yesterday because I got too worried. 

Thanks for the update!

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

19 hours ago, wololo said:

I arrived to the US as a resident when I was 2 weeks away from turning 26, and I received my letter with that information about selective service when I was already 26, so no way I could've known that information.

I sent a request to the select service offices to see if I should've had registered before, and they gave me a letter saying I didn't need to register, because I've entered the country before turning 26 as a tourist, which to me doesn't make much sense, but the letter clearly says I didn't need to, so that's what I'm taking to my interview.  🤷🏻‍♂️

So for the OP, sent a request to selective services to see what's your status and if you had to register or not.

When you say you entered as a resident do you mean you had a GC when you entered before the age of 26? 

People like myself, who entered on a non immigrant visa like (F1, tourist visas...) didn't have to register, at least that's how it was 20 years ago.

6 minutes ago, ThaOne said:

at least that's how it was 20 years ago.

It's still like that: https://www.sss.gov/register/immigrants/ "Non-immigrant men living in the United States on a valid visa are not required to register for as long as they remain on a valid visa up until they turn 26."

6 minutes ago, ThaOne said:

When you say you entered as a resident do you mean you had a GC when you entered before the age of 26?

Looks like SSS made a minor mistake in wololo's case. He entered with CR-1, not a B-2: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=198831

But the 2 weeks is still less than the 30-day grace period, so not an issue for him.

Edited by HRQX

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ThaOne said:

People like myself, who entered on a non immigrant visa like (F1, tourist visas...) didn't have to register, at least that's how it was 20 years ago.

No, I entered two weeks before turning 26 with the green card stamped in my passport (does that count as being resident doesn't?). Then a two or three weeks later I received my green card and the selective service pamphlet in the mail, but at that point I was already over 26 for a few days.

I think the main reason I didn't have to register (according to the letter from selective service) was because I already entered the US with a tourist visa many times. I don't really know how that works to be honest, I sent them all the evidence of all my trips before and after becoming a resident and that was their conclusion.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, HRQX said:

It's still like that: https://www.sss.gov/register/immigrants/ "Non-immigrant men living in the United States on a valid visa are not required to register for as long as they remain on a valid visa up until they turn 26."

Looks like SSS made a mistake in wololo's case. He entered with CR-1, not a B-2: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=198831

You think they made a mistake on saying I didn't need to register?

In any case, I'm already 31, it shouldn't matter at this point?

Just now, wololo said:

You think they made a mistake on saying I didn't need to register?

I edited my post to read "minor mistake."

I also added:

3 minutes ago, HRQX said:

But the 2 weeks is still less than the 30-day grace period, so not an issue for him.

https://www.sss.gov/register/immigrants/ "within 30 days of arriving in the United States." Thus not an issue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.