Cynthia_Aussie

K1 visa - SSN delayed, now I-94 expired

29 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I've scoured this forum for SSN info + many others. I'm hoping someone can help me with the next step. I think I know what needs to happen but am a little stressed given the rubbish experience with SSA so would appreciate advice / confirmation. Thanks all. 

• Oct 20, 2020:      Entered USA on K1 visa
  • Nov 14, 2020:     Married my US hubby.  
  • Nov 16, 2020:     Appointment for SSN with Towson office in Maryland. 
  • Nov 23, 2020:     SSA sent me a letter to say my application has been received.
    • Thereafter, I've called every 5 - 7 days, chasing my SSN. I was consistently told that it's been held up with Department of Homeland Security and waiting for DHS to approve. I don't understand why there could have been such a hold up? 

• Dec 20, 2020:     USCIS confirmed that they received my AOS bundle of paperwork.
    • I had selected NO for SSN with the I-765 (employment authorization) as I had already started the process with SSA. 

• Jan 2021:             Kept calling Towson SSA office, still being told it's been held up with DHS. 
  • Jan 17, 2021:      My I-94 expired on this date. 
  • Jan 19, 2021:      Finally got through to someone at Towson SSA. Says my application is still being held up with DHS for approval. However, as my I-94 has expired, 'it is likely that I will be rejected by DHS and therefore be rejected for SSN' (quoting the SSA agent on the phone). 

Without SSN I can't get a license in the state of Maryland + can't be on my husband's health insurance (this is the part I'm the most stressed by). 

So now I am thinking my only step is to call USCIS and see if I can resubmit my I-765 to request for SSN with it. Is this right? Any other grand ideas? 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

46 minutes ago, Cynthia_Aussie said:

Hi guys, I've scoured this forum for SSN info + many others. I'm hoping someone can help me with the next step. I think I know what needs to happen but am a little stressed given the rubbish experience with SSA so would appreciate advice / confirmation. Thanks all. 

• Nov 23, 2020:     SSA sent me a letter to say my application has been received.
    • Thereafter, I've called every 5 - 7 days, chasing my SSN. I was consistently told that it's been held up with Department of Homeland Security and waiting for DHS to approve. I don't understand why there could have been such a hold up? 

• Dec 20, 2020:     USCIS confirmed that they received my AOS bundle of paperwork.
    • I had selected NO for SSN with the I-765 (employment authorization) as I had already started the process with SSA. 

• Jan 2021:             Kept calling Towson SSA office, still being told it's been held up with DHS. 
  • Jan 19, 2021:      Finally got through to someone at Towson SSA. Says my application is still being held up with DHS for approval. However, as my I-94 has expired, 'it is likely that I will be rejected by DHS and therefore be rejected for SSN' (quoting the SSA agent on the phone). 

Without SSN I can't get a license in the state of Maryland + can't be on my husband's health insurance (this is the part I'm the most stressed by). 

So now I am thinking my only step is to call USCIS and see if I can resubmit my I-765 to request for SSN with it. Is this right? Any other grand ideas? 

We have found many of the agents at SS have no idea how a K-1 who is wanting a SSN is to be processed. There is a forum here on VJ that outlines and has discussion. You may want to check that out and see what others are experiencing. We recommend that you get a SSN just after you arrive in the states; first week or two. Then after marriage return to SS and update your marriage with a name change. I wish you luck but don't give up. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

1 hour ago, Greenbaum said:

We have found many of the agents at SS have no idea how a K-1 who is wanting a SSN is to be processed. There is a forum here on VJ that outlines and has discussion. You may want to check that out and see what others are experiencing. We recommend that you get a SSN just after you arrive in the states; first week or two. Then after marriage return to SS and update your marriage with a name change. I wish you luck but don't give up. 

Thank you for commenting. I followed all the advice on the forum here: calling non-stop, bringing the SSA POMS with me to the interview etc. All of those tips worked wonderfully.

However, the part that tripped me up is the long hold with DHS to approve my status (so that SSA can issue me a SSN). I noticed several people with green cards had that issue, but that was fixed by contacting USCIS. I'm on a K1 and now my I-94 has expired... I don't know where to go from here? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Cynthia_Aussie said:

can't be on my husband's health insurance (this is the part I'm the most stressed by). 

SsN is not a requirement for health insurance,  if they insist,  give them a placeholder SSN

YMMV

2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

SsN is not a requirement for health insurance,  if they insist,  give them a placeholder SSN

Thank you! We are trying to contact the HR department of my husband's company so that they can assist. So far Blue Shield (his insurer) won't accept it without a genuine SSN. I'll raise this possibility of a placeholder SSN with the HR department and see what they say. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cynthia_Aussie said:

Thank you! We are trying to contact the HR department of my husband's company so that they can assist. So far Blue Shield (his insurer) won't accept it without a genuine SSN. I'll raise this possibility of a placeholder SSN with the HR department and see what they say. 

I gave BCBS a placeholder,

YMMV

Timeline
38 minutes ago, AlaMike said:

Might I ask, what is a "placeholder"

Exactly as it sounds.   A number to hold a "place" until the actual number is issued. 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Exactly as it sounds.   A number to hold a "place" until the actual number is issued. 

Thanks, just never heard of it. At least if things don't go as planned, there are options.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I entered the U.S. on a K-1, I didn't know you could request a SSN. I am still waiting for a biometrics, for both I-485 and I-765. Came in on a K-1 back on March 16, got married April 11. My I-94 expired on June 16. I still have legal status in the U.S., said the agent over the phone, the one time I actually got through to someone from USCIS. She just said carry my passport with me everywhere, along with a photocopy of the marriage certificate, in case I get pulled over for any reason... most municipal police won't know what a K-1 visa is and how it works. Just keep as much info on you as is reasonably possible.

30 minutes ago, ifyU said:

you should be able to get health insurance without an SSN. I got health insurance, driver's license, rented a house, bought a car before my SSN came as the SSN office was closed.

Thanks for that. I'll try the previous suggestion of asking them to use a placeholder SSN until I get a real one. 

Which state are you in pretty please? In the state of Maryland, I can't get a license without a SSN. The DMV won't even give me an appointment for my driver's knowledge test without one. I know it varies state to state. 

Filed: Timeline
22 hours ago, Cynthia_Aussie said:

I wish you would have posted about this as it was occurring- most likely we could have helped you but unfortunately at this point in time you are going to have to wait for the EAD to be issued to get a SSN. 

I wouldnt bother attempting to amend the 765 you already filed to check the box you need a SSN. I mean you can try but I personally dont think its worth the hassle and it has low odds of actually working. FYI when you check that box it simply generates your info in the SS system after the EAD is approved. You would be doing the same thing once its approved and because you wont get any confirmation they amended your 765 once the EAD is approved you are going to end up needing to contact SSA to see if they got the info from USCIS so why bother trying to amend it when you are going to have to follow up anyway>?

Did you apply for the SSN with the maiden name? Did you use your new married name on the AOS?

1 hour ago, Villanelle said:

I wish you would have posted about this as it was occurring- most likely we could have helped you but unfortunately at this point in time you are going to have to wait for the EAD to be issued to get a SSN. 

I wouldnt bother attempting to amend the 765 you already filed to check the box you need a SSN. I mean you can try but I personally dont think its worth the hassle and it has low odds of actually working. FYI when you check that box it simply generates your info in the SS system after the EAD is approved. You would be doing the same thing once its approved and because you wont get any confirmation they amended your 765 once the EAD is approved you are going to end up needing to contact SSA to see if they got the info from USCIS so why bother trying to amend it when you are going to have to follow up anyway>?

Did you apply for the SSN with the maiden name? Did you use your new married name on the AOS?

Thanks for this. I used my maiden name for all of the paperwork. 

I might still try following up with the I-765 anyway. Based on your info: if it works - then it's saved me a step (info already in the system for SSA, much easier when dealing with SSA agents over the phone who just want to deflect); if it's not worked - it's no different to my situation now. 

Ah the joys of the process. Need the patience of a saint. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.