33 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, kris&me said:

filing separate would mean she is going to file for herself and if she doesn't have green card or SS #,  how can she?

MFJ makes sense because I assume she is either low income or no income. Do note that she is a resident alien for tax purposes because she meets the Substantial Presence test. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test

7 hours ago, VisaDonnie said:

We have given up on the K-1 and got married. Got tired of waiting for the interview. So we just started the paperwork for AOS.

Did she apply for EAD? With either EAD or GC she'll be eligible for SSN. With the SSN she can claim the $1800 "Recovery Rebate" credit: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf "Line 30"

On 1/19/2021 at 1:26 PM, davidvs said:

Is it legit? -

Legit as in, yes, they will get all your info, fill out the form for you and send it to the IRS while charging you a bunch of money for something you can do yourself? 

Sure, it seams as legit as RapidVisa.... doesn't mean someone should use them.

It took me all of about 3 minutes when I filled out the ITIN application for my wife. 

Thanks. I figured it was a service as it asked for payment. How did you apply for your wife's ITIN? I checked IRS website and it says to submit it to any of their offices/ agency partners. 

I-751

July 25, 2023 - Submitted ROC via USPS 

July 31, 2023 - Credit card charged

Aug 1, 2023 - Text confirmation with IOE number received

Aug 14, 2023 - 48-month extension letter received

Aug 23, 2023 - Biometrics appointment at Brooklyn ASC

I-485

July 2, 2020 - 1st AOS submission via USPS  | July 19, 2020 - Rejected package received due to "missing forms" | July 20, 2020 - Resubmitted AOS Package | July 26, 2020 - AOS received at Chicago lockbox via USPS

July 27, 2020 - USCIS online status: Case received

Aug 9, 2020 - Credit card was charged | Aug 13, 2020 - Received SMS confirmation from USCIS | Aug 17, 2020 - Received NOAs in the mail | Aug 21, 2020 - USCIS account updated to RFE (waiting for mail)

Aug 27, 2020 - Hard copy of RFIE received in the mail (I-864EZ rejected) | Aug 31, 2020 - Response to RFIE sent to NBC

Sept 9, 2020 - Response to RFIE received by USCIS | Sept. 22, 2020 - Received I-693 deficiency notice

Nov 21, 2020 - Date USCIS sent out biometrics appointment letter  | Nov. 28, 2020 - Received bio appointment letter

Dec 18, 2020 - Biometrics appointment completed in Brooklyn ASC | Dec. 19, 2020 - Case updated to fingerprints taken (I-485 and I-765) | Dec. 30, 2020 - Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

Feb 25, 2021 - New card is being produced (EAD) | Feb. 26, 2021 - EAD and AP have been approved

Mar 3, 2021 - Combo card received | Mar. 5, 2021 - SSN card received

Aug 31, 2021 - Case updated online to interview has been scheduled | Sept 8, 2021 - Interview schedule received in the mail via USPS

Oct 5, 2021 - Scheduled interview | Oct 6, 2021 - Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Celebi said:

Thanks. I figured it was a service as it asked for payment. How did you apply for your wife's ITIN? I checked IRS website and it says to submit it to any of their offices/ agency partners. 

We did it several years ago while we were still dating, so the process may have changed slightly, but we filled out a $0 income tax return and a W7 for her and showed up (had an appointment?) at our local IRS field office. They took the documents and verified her id against her passport. Maybe 2 months after that we got a tax id letter in the mail for her. We've been using that id for her ever since, both before and after we got married. We have even been able to open up bank accounts and credit cards in her name with the tax id.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 1/19/2021 at 8:01 PM, csh2020 said:

This might help. If you don't have an ITIN number in time, you could put NRA (Non Resident Alien) on the tax form. That is what we did before my wife arrived and IRS accepted it without a problem. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-aliens

Incorrect. You would file the return leaving her SS# field blank and attach the W7 ITIN application with the return. They will assign the ITIN while processing the return.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Celebi said:

You fill out the W-7, and then you have the option of mailing in your fiancé's passport and Visa or going to a (TAC) Taxpayer Assistance Center where you can bring your documents and they will certify seeing them for the ITIN#. Since I don't want to risk mailing off my wife's Passport and Visa (they will not take a copy) and it getting lost we are going to the TAC. But, if you live in Georgia like me every TAC is closed due to Covid-19 except one and its 2 1/2 hours away from me. It says it's at least 7 weeks for the IRS to notify you of ITIN# status.

Thanks @davidvs @VisaDonnie

I was hopeful it can just be done online and would literally take 3 minutes 😂

I-751

July 25, 2023 - Submitted ROC via USPS 

July 31, 2023 - Credit card charged

Aug 1, 2023 - Text confirmation with IOE number received

Aug 14, 2023 - 48-month extension letter received

Aug 23, 2023 - Biometrics appointment at Brooklyn ASC

I-485

July 2, 2020 - 1st AOS submission via USPS  | July 19, 2020 - Rejected package received due to "missing forms" | July 20, 2020 - Resubmitted AOS Package | July 26, 2020 - AOS received at Chicago lockbox via USPS

July 27, 2020 - USCIS online status: Case received

Aug 9, 2020 - Credit card was charged | Aug 13, 2020 - Received SMS confirmation from USCIS | Aug 17, 2020 - Received NOAs in the mail | Aug 21, 2020 - USCIS account updated to RFE (waiting for mail)

Aug 27, 2020 - Hard copy of RFIE received in the mail (I-864EZ rejected) | Aug 31, 2020 - Response to RFIE sent to NBC

Sept 9, 2020 - Response to RFIE received by USCIS | Sept. 22, 2020 - Received I-693 deficiency notice

Nov 21, 2020 - Date USCIS sent out biometrics appointment letter  | Nov. 28, 2020 - Received bio appointment letter

Dec 18, 2020 - Biometrics appointment completed in Brooklyn ASC | Dec. 19, 2020 - Case updated to fingerprints taken (I-485 and I-765) | Dec. 30, 2020 - Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

Feb 25, 2021 - New card is being produced (EAD) | Feb. 26, 2021 - EAD and AP have been approved

Mar 3, 2021 - Combo card received | Mar. 5, 2021 - SSN card received

Aug 31, 2021 - Case updated online to interview has been scheduled | Sept 8, 2021 - Interview schedule received in the mail via USPS

Oct 5, 2021 - Scheduled interview | Oct 6, 2021 - Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
On 1/21/2021 at 3:02 PM, VisaDonnie said:

You fill out the W-7, and then you have the option of mailing in your fiancé's passport and Visa or going to a (TAC) Taxpayer Assistance Center where you can bring your documents and they will certify seeing them for the ITIN#. Since I don't want to risk mailing off my wife's Passport and Visa (they will not take a copy) and it getting lost we are going to the TAC. But, if you live in Georgia like me every TAC is closed due to Covid-19 except one and its 2 1/2 hours away from me. It says it's at least 7 weeks for the IRS to notify you of ITIN# status.

Do we file but not submit. And it'll be submitted via the TAC? OR do we file and submit  electronically, and take the return to TAC for itin processing?

Timeline
38 minutes ago, BlackAfrodyte said:

Do we file but not submit. And it'll be submitted via the TAC? OR do we file and submit  electronically, and take the return to TAC for itin processing?

You are only going to the TAC for them to verify your documentation, then they (the IRS) will give you an ITIN# approx 7 weeks weeks after. Once you have your ITIN# then you can file your taxes as you normally do either electronic or mailing it in.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, VisaDonnie said:

You are only going to the TAC for them to verify your documentation, then they (the IRS) will give you an ITIN# approx 7 weeks weeks after. Once you have your ITIN# then you can file your taxes as you normally do either electronic or mailing it in.

The TAC informed me that we need our return attached to the W7 application. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, BlackAfrodyte said:

The TAC informed me that we need our return attached to the W7 application. 

That’s true, and you also cannot electronically file your tax return using an ITIN# in the calendar year the ITIN# is assigned.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, VisaDonnie said:

That’s true, and you also cannot electronically file your tax return using an ITIN# in the calendar year the ITIN# is assigned.

So I guess we prep it and print it, take it to them, and then they'll mail it off? If not, we mail it off?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
40 minutes ago, BlackAfrodyte said:

So I guess we prep it and print it, take it to them, and then they'll mail it off? If not, we mail it off?

There is a specific address to send the package to.

YMMV

Timeline
6 minutes ago, payxibka said:

There is a specific address to send the package to.

Yes but I'm asking if the TAC will mail it for us or do we have to mail it ourselves after they certify the documents. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.