SNAVegas

Joint Sponsor i-864 requirements

14 posts in this topic

I have a joint sponsor who is married & files a joint return with his wife. His Income ALONE from his job ( w2's available) is way above the 125% Poverty Guidelines. Can he file the I-864 alone without having his wife provide the I-864 A. 

In other words her Income is excluded & not needed to meet the Required Minimum Poverty Guideline. His Tax Return/Transcript will show married filing jointly & the w2's of both will be shown.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
9 minutes ago, SNAVegas said:

Thanks....Do you have personal experience of a situation such as this ? 

Over and over again, this same question gets asked.  The answer is always that the best practice is to provide an I-864a from the joint filing spouse.  If the Consular Officer asks for it, not having provided it, will delay visa issue for several weeks, at best.  If the spouse is not willing, find another joint sponsor.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

28 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Over and over again, this same question gets asked.  The answer is always that the best practice is to provide an I-864a from the joint filing spouse.  If the Consular Officer asks for it, not having provided it, will delay visa issue for several weeks, at best.  If the spouse is not willing, find another joint sponsor.

Thanks for your prompt reply.  There seem to be conflicting answers on this subject on various forums on FB etc. hence the question.  Others have shared their experience of being succesful doing so. 

7 minutes ago, SNAVegas said:

There seem to be conflicting answers on this subject on various forums on FB etc. hence the question.  Others have shared their experience of being succesful doing so. 

Technically, the I-864A is not required if the joint sponsor's income alone is sufficient to qualify.  But I and many others here highly recommend preparing the I-864A from the spouse anyway to avoid delays because the consul officer may ask for it.

1 hour ago, Chancy said:

Technically, the I-864A is not required if the joint sponsor's income alone is sufficient to qualify.  But I and many others here highly recommend preparing the I-864A from the spouse anyway to avoid delays because the consul officer may ask for it.

Thank you so much for your reply to my question. Hope to be able to find a Joint Sponsor ( if Married) & the spouse would be willing to sign off on i-864A or Find one who is single tax filer. As a last resort i may submit one with only the Joint Sponsor who has qualifying Income but not providing I-864a from spouse. Our situation is that the Visa Interview is over & the Consular Officer was extremely helpful & kind.

He told my wife provide : 1)  I-864 of Joint Sponsor 2)  proof of income of Joint Sponsor submitting one of the following   Tax Transcript OR W2's .3) Proof of US Citizenship. He asked her to send these alogwith her passport to the US Embassy via their designated Courier. And if accepted they will mail back her passport with the Visa Stamp.

Timeline
3 hours ago, SNAVegas said:

Thank you so much for your reply to my question. Hope to be able to find a Joint Sponsor ( if Married) & the spouse would be willing to sign off on i-864A or Find one who is single tax filer. As a last resort i may submit one with only the Joint Sponsor who has qualifying Income but not providing I-864a from spouse. Our situation is that the Visa Interview is over & the Consular Officer was extremely helpful & kind.

He told my wife provide : 1)  I-864 of Joint Sponsor 2)  proof of income of Joint Sponsor submitting one of the following   Tax Transcript OR W2's .3) Proof of US Citizenship. He asked her to send these alogwith her passport to the US Embassy via their designated Courier. And if accepted they will mail back her passport with the Visa Stamp.

Which country?  Why are you resisting the I-864a advice?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

Which country?  Why are you resisting the I-864a advice?

The US Embassy in Hong Kong.  I am not sure what makes you think that i am trying to resist any advice because that would be counter productive. However, IF i am unable to find another Joint sponsor & the only one available to be a Joint Sponsor has an unwilling spouse ( but has more than sufficient individual Income)  then i may not have a choice but proceed & see if will get approved as submitted. Several people has said that they were succesful in doing so & pointed me to the attached !!! There is no ego involved here i am just trying to find answers with help from people who have personal experience in a case such as mine. God willing it will work otherwise let the chips fall where they may & i will deal with whatever comes my way. Thank you

Qualifying alone on Joint Sponsor Instructions.jpg

12 hours ago, SNAVegas said:

The US Embassy in Hong Kong.  I am not sure what makes you think that i am trying to resist any advice because that would be counter productive. However, IF i am unable to find another Joint sponsor & the only one available to be a Joint Sponsor has an unwilling spouse ( but has more than sufficient individual Income)  then i may not have a choice but proceed & see if will get approved as submitted. Several people has said that they were succesful in doing so & pointed me to the attached !!! There is no ego involved here i am just trying to find answers with help from people who have personal experience in a case such as mine. God willing it will work otherwise let the chips fall where they may & i will deal with whatever comes my way. Thank you

"Unwilling spouse"?  Good luck with that.  Being a joint sponsor is a huge commitment which involves household (marital) income.  I can't see someone willing to go against their spouse's wishes to do this.

Might be easier in your case to look for a better paying job, or a second or third job to satisfy the financial requirements, which are quite low to begin with.

Timeline
15 hours ago, SNAVegas said:

Note that those are USCIS instructions for a USCIS form.  However, USCIS policies don't apply here.  A Consular Officer (Dept. of State) makes the public charge decision in immigrant visa cases.  Rather than asking us a bunch of what ifs, why not just ask if the spouse is willing.  If she is, problem solved.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

23 hours ago, SNAVegas said:

He told my wife provide : 1)  I-864 of Joint Sponsor 2)  proof of income of Joint Sponsor submitting one of the following   Tax Transcript OR W2's .3) Proof of US Citizenship. He asked her to send these alogwith her passport to the US Embassy via their designated Courier.

I'm guessing these were asked for in a 221g letter after your wife's interview?  When you do find a joint sponsor, you may provide only what is asked (i.e. no I-864A).  Still, if your joint sponsor files taxes jointly with their spouse, I highly recommend you request the spouse to sign an I-864A anyway so you'll have it ready in case the consul officer makes a follow-up request after seeing your joint sponsor's tax filing.  You may get lucky with the consul officer not asking for it after sending your 221g response, but I wouldn't rely on this happening if I were you.

15 minutes ago, Chancy said:

I'm guessing these were asked for in a 221g letter after your wife's interview?  When you do find a joint sponsor, you may provide only what is asked (i.e. no I-864A).  Still, if your joint sponsor files taxes jointly with their spouse, I highly recommend you request the spouse to sign an I-864A anyway so you'll have it ready in case the consul officer makes a follow-up request after seeing your joint sponsor's tax filing.  You may get lucky with the consul officer not asking for it after sending your 221g response, but I wouldn't rely on this happening if I were you.

Thank you for your kind reply & you are correct. That is exactly what happened.  I am hoping to find a Joint Sponsor whose spouse would be willing to sign the i-864A & that would take care of it all. Currently I have a Joint Sponsor whose wife is not willing to sign the I-864A BUT has no objection for her husband to use his solo income & send in the I-864 relying only on his Income. The attached image shows exactly what the Consular Officer gave to my wife. The Officer was actually very helpful & pleasant to deal with & gave her good direction as to what is required. Life has a way of working out & i am hopeful & cautiously optimistic.

221 G Nov 30th Text Only.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.