ram_im

Second interview after decision can not be made

19 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I got a call yesterday from the USCIS office about an interview next week, and they were calling to make sure that I can do it next week. However, I told the agent that I did my interview, and we're waiting for a decision for more than a year and we're told couple of times that they were doing background check. She was surprised at the beginning; then she said that it is another interview. I didn't get any paper yet related to the next interview but today myuscis website changed from interview was scheduled to invalid interview date.
Is this common? Anyone has experience with that? Should I take a lawyer even though i’m 1000% sure I have any legal or background problem? 
Please help.
Thanks

Lawyer cannot do anything. If your marriage is legit, you have nothing to worry about. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
2 hours ago, ram_im said:

Hi everyone, I got a call yesterday from the USCIS office about an interview next week, and they were calling to make sure that I can do it next week. However, I told the agent that I did my interview, and we're waiting for a decision for more than a year and we're told couple of times that they were doing background check. She was surprised at the beginning; then she said that it is another interview. I didn't get any paper yet related to the next interview but today myuscis website changed from interview was scheduled to invalid interview date.
Is this common? Anyone has experience with that? Should I take a lawyer even though i’m 1000% sure I have any legal or background problem? 
Please help.
Thanks

More than a year you have waited. Now they want to do another second interview which is not uncommon. They might have found something which you have forgotten to disclose. Good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the Case Progress subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

5 hours ago, bing10 said:

I would 100% take a lawyer.

Yes, it's likely just something small that they want to clarify, but that length of delay is not normal.

What can lawyer do for you at interview? It is not a trial.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

38 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

What can lawyer do for you at interview? It is not a trial.

They can clarify any misleading questions, and step in if the interview starts to go off-track. There will be a reason why they are conducting a second interview.

It's totally up to you, but in that situation I wouldn't be going anywhere near that interview without a lawyer.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:14 PM, ram_im said:

Please help.
Thanks

At this point you do not know what this is about. You can get some input from a lawyer before you go if you want and ask if this is normal and maybe what to expect, but actually hiring a lawyer to go with you would probably not be necessary and possibly he/she wouldn't even be allowed in with you. Depending on the outcome, then you would have to hire a lawyer if there is an issue, but it's probably just a minor thing you may not have mentioned that they may ask you. But if there is a problem, then they give you time to appeal or take other steps. That's when you would really consider hiring a lawyer.

12 hours ago, ram_im said:

Update:

I received the letter, and it says that I have an interview next week. It doesn't mention that this is a second interview. Also, it says I should prepare for a language and history test.

Is this normal? Can they redo the exams if you passed them? 

Thanks.

I wouldn't think you'd be required to take those tests again if you already passed them, I'm guessing it's just a standard interview letter they send out.

What day is your interview? Please report back here and let us know what they ask.

Timeline
3 hours ago, bing10 said:

I wouldn't think you'd be required to take those tests again if you already passed them, I'm guessing it's just a standard interview letter they send out.

What day is your interview? Please report back here and let us know what they ask.

I remember you are still waiting on the interview result did you recieve anything from them or still waiting. 

6 minutes ago, Fahad86 said:

I remember you are still waiting on the interview result did you recieve anything from them or still waiting. 

Good memory! Yes, I'm still waiting, almost 10 months now since the interview.

That's why I'm very interested to see what happens with this second interview, as I'm guessing I could end up getting one of these too.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, bing10 said:

Good memory! Yes, I'm still waiting, almost 10 months now since the interview.

That's why I'm very interested to see what happens with this second interview, as I'm guessing I could end up getting one of these too.

yeah i remember about filing suit against the uscis. This whole process is soo frustrating. Needless to say contact your congressman and senator since i know you would have already contacted them. So what is your next course action?

4 minutes ago, Fahad86 said:

yeah i remember about filing suit against the uscis. This whole process is soo frustrating. Needless to say contact your congressman and senator since i know you would have already contacted them. So what is your next course action?

Yes, I contacted congressman and senators back when it was 120 days after the interview, and I'm still pushing them every few weeks.

My lawyer wants to wait to file a suit until 12 months after the interview, so right now I'm just waiting.

I'm also hoping the wait times come down, as once I'm over the processing times, I'll be able to get the ombudsman to assist too.

Timeline
1 minute ago, bing10 said:

Yes, I contacted congressman and senators back when it was 120 days after the interview, and I'm still pushing them every few weeks.

My lawyer wants to wait to file a suit until 12 months after the interview, so right now I'm just waiting.

I'm also hoping the wait times come down, as once I'm over the processing times, I'll be able to get the ombudsman to assist too.

Good luck to you, hopefully all this wait will bring good news for you. I am just waiting for my interview. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.