H.Angy

Form I 407

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Since there is no exit passport control in the US, this may be difficult.  Here is what I found.  Mostly I hear about submitting the I407 at the consulate in the country one will be residing in.

Good Luck!

Procedures for Giving Up U.S. Permanent Residence

The procedure to surrender a green card/LPR status is fairly straightforward. The LPR simply needs to fill out and mail USCIS Form I-407, Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status.

The I-407 is a three-page document that requires basic biographical information, date of most recent departure from the United States, and reason for abandoning LPR status.

Along with the form, you will need to send in your green card, or provide a reason why you cannot (for example, that it has been lost).

Make a copy of the completed I-407 and green card, for future reference. Then send the whole package to:

USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 Unit
124 Leroy Road
P.O. Box 567
Williston, VT 05495

In rare cases, if you need immediate proof that you have abandoned LPR status, the local embassy or consulate might allow you come in person to surrender your green card and submit the form.

Assuming you've sent it by mail, expect a turnaround time for USCIS's response of about two months.

If your purpose is to avoid U.S. taxation, also talk with a U.S. tax adviser about appropriate procedures to show the IRS that you are no longer a permanent resident. You will likely need to include a copy of your I-407 with your next U.S. tax return.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-voluntarily-abandon-lawful-permanent-residence-green-card.html

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You could mail it from the Airport at either end.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Not really.  You need to go to the nearest US consulate.  Or you can mail it. 

Your post history is all over the place. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We do have many posters on here who have friends, important to remember not all of us are so fortunate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 12/1/2020 at 2:22 PM, Boiler said:

We do have many posters on here who have friends, important to remember not all of us are so fortunate.

Yeah I have one friend. She’s a USC so nothing in immigration applies to her. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.