parent_canada

Any IR-5 Montreal here?

66 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2021 at 11:21 AM, Lights said:

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.  My parents received their interview day for June 17.  We are June 2019 filers.    

We are working through a to-do list.  Does anyone know how long they need to stay after the interview or if we could schedule a same day flight back?  They are interviewing first thing in the AM. 

Thank you 

Hi, how did their interview go? What kind of questions were they asked ? 
also did they need original birth certificate of you (petitioner)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/11/2021 at 4:41 AM, Melody1920 said:

Hi, how did their interview go? What kind of questions were they asked ? 
also did they need original birth certificate of you (petitioner)

Yes! Bring the original... we were so consumed with covid regulations that we did a quick check and for whatever reason thought we had the originals.  Literally had a facepalm moment when they were asked for the originals and my parents only had copies.  The officer was kind and just let them know that once we sent it back that they've get approved.  We had our visa issued last week! so we only had about a 2-week delay from the interview date. 

The only questions they were asked is who sponsored them, what do they do, why are they going and where will they be living. 

My parents answered:

- My daughter sponsored me

- She owns her own business and her husband is in the medical field (we told them our actual positions/company etc)

- We are moving because we want to retire in California to watch our grandkids grow up 

- We will be living w/ our kids for the first little bit until we decide what we'd like to do 

The officer actually lived by us when he lived in the US and was super nice and even asked if they tried to convince us to move back to Canada. All in all they said it was really easy, smooth and people were kind which was nice to hear considered such a tense year. 

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

12 minutes ago, Lights said:

Yes! Bring the original... we were so consumed with covid regulations that we did a quick check and for whatever reason thought we had the originals.  Literally had a facepalm moment when they were asked for the originals and my parents only had copies.  The officer was kind and just let them know that once we sent it back that they've get approved.  We had our visa issued last week! so we only had about a 2-week delay from the interview date. 

The only questions they were asked is who sponsored them, what do they do, why are they going and where will they be living. 

My parents answered:

- My daughter sponsored me

- She owns her own business and her husband is in the medical field (we told them our actual positions/company etc)

- We are moving because we want to retire in California to watch our grandkids grow up 

- We will be living w/ our kids for the first little bit until we decide what we'd like to do 

The officer actually lived by us when he lived in the US and was super nice and even asked if they tried to convince us to move back to Canada. All in all they said it was really easy, smooth and people were kind which was nice to hear considered such a tense year. 

Thank you for your response! It seems like they had a great experience .

1. So did you send them your original birth certificate then ? What about your marriage certificate ? Did they return them right away?

2. Did you update your affidavit of support ?

3. And did you upload updated irs forms on caec or did your parents just take them to interview ?

Thank you 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Melody1920 said:

Thank you for your response! It seems like they had a great experience .

1. So did you send them your original birth certificate then ? What about your marriage certificate ? Did they return them right away?

2. Did you update your affidavit of support ?

3. And did you upload updated irs forms on caec or did your parents just take them to interview ?

Thank you 

1.  Yes - I had to overnight it to my parents who sent it off with the same courier they registered with to get their passports back.  They held their passports and did their biometrics, so their 'refusal' (which I was super nervous about initially) was just a technicality.  They had a conditional approval pending BC.  

2.  They did not ask for my marriage certificate because I am a USC.  They did ask during the interview how I got the US but they didn't ask to see my marriage cert. 

3.  We did update our Affidavit of Support when our 2020 taxes completed.  We just gave them updated info that was current at the time of their interview.  

4.  We did both.  We uploaded them for 2019 since we filed 2020 and was waiting on our IRS copy to come back.  It did come back before their interview so we gave them a copy to take with them just in case.  

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

• 3 weeks later...

My parents had their IR-5 visa interview this morning and they were approved !!!

Few questions about next steps :

1. They have a number of things to wrap up in Canada before they move . Is it possible for them to use their visa to land in USA, apply for gc and later go to Canada to wind things down? Will they be able to go to Canada before they have received green card in mail ? I.e. is this a multiple entry visa?

2. Does the health coverage end as soon as they exercise their visa and enter USA or will it expire at end of years since they have been resident of Ontario for most of 2021?

thank you 

On 7/12/2021 at 1:59 PM, Lights said:

1.  Yes - I had to overnight it to my parents who sent it off with the same courier they registered with to get their passports back.  They held their passports and did their biometrics, so their 'refusal' (which I was super nervous about initially) was just a technicality.  They had a conditional approval pending BC.  

2.  They did not ask for my marriage certificate because I am a USC.  They did ask during the interview how I got the US but they didn't ask to see my marriage cert. 

3.  We did update our Affidavit of Support when our 2020 taxes completed.  We just gave them updated info that was current at the time of their interview.  

4.  We did both.  We uploaded them for 2019 since we filed 2020 and was waiting on our IRS copy to come back.  It did come back before their interview so we gave them a copy to take with them just in case.  

Thank you for your help. My parents interview went well today and the status was updated to issued. Have your parents crossed over to US now ? What did you do with respect to health insurance ?

1 hour ago, Melody1920 said:

Thank you for your help. My parents interview went well today and the status was updated to issued. Have your parents crossed over to US now ? What did you do with respect to health insurance ?

Congratulations!!  Just curious to ask What kind of questions were they asked ?  Do we need to bring I-864 original or copy.

Did you get new police certificate? How long it takes

Edited by parent_canada

13 hours ago, parent_canada said:

Congratulations!!  Just curious to ask What kind of questions were they asked ?  Do we need to bring I-864 original or copy.

Did you get new police certificate? How long it takes

They applied for new certificate even before their interview since old one was expiring and it took 3 weeks. We did take old and nee I-865 but were not asked for it. The only questions they were asked were my position and where I live . They look at all originals for  birth certificates and their marriage certificate and updated tax info which we had uploaded before hand. Did you get an interview date yet ?

7 minutes ago, Melody1920 said:

They applied for new certificate even before their interview since old one was expiring and it took 3 weeks. We did take old and nee I-865 but were not asked for it. The only questions they were asked were my position and where I live . They look at all originals for  birth certificates and their marriage certificate and updated tax info which we had uploaded before hand. Did you get an interview date yet ?

Thanks for the details. We are still waiting for the interview date.  Did you submitted old police certificate or new one because our police certificate expired last month (1 year).

Edited by parent_canada

Timeline
23 hours ago, Melody1920 said:

My parents had their IR-5 visa interview this morning and they were approved !!!

Few questions about next steps :

1. They have a number of things to wrap up in Canada before they move . Is it possible for them to use their visa to land in USA, apply for gc and later go to Canada to wind things down? Will they be able to go to Canada before they have received green card in mail ? I.e. is this a multiple entry visa?

2. Does the health coverage end as soon as they exercise their visa and enter USA or will it expire at end of years since they have been resident of Ontario for most of 2021?

thank you 

1. Yes they can endorse their visa and turn right around to finish things up in Canada.

2. Health coverage ends the minute they endorse their visa. They are no longer residents of Ontario once that visa is endorsed. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
15 hours ago, Melody1920 said:

They have not yet, they will be here within the next 3 months!  We are just finalizing a few things (they had a business in Canada, so it's going to take a few more weeks to wrap up).  It's like we knew this day would come but there were so many things pending until we officially got our visa's issued and now it's like a rush to close up shop. 

We will be purchasing insurance out of pocket.  We are in CA so there are a few plans but roughly looking at about $1500-$1800/month for both policies.  My mom has some snowbird retirement plan that she was given after retiring from a fairly large company out in Canada...but we're unsure of coverage.  It says that it covers everything but there's no network etc.  Best cast is that it covers some and we could reduce some of the coverage on their other policy, worst case is that it covers nothing and we just have to pay out of pocket.  I've always been self employed so it's not new for me to pay out of pocket for extended health in Canada or in the US.  It's just slightly more $$ in the US, but I actually like my coverage and my doctors/health providers better.  

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

23 hours ago, Lights said:

They have not yet, they will be here within the next 3 months!  We are just finalizing a few things (they had a business in Canada, so it's going to take a few more weeks to wrap up).  It's like we knew this day would come but there were so many things pending until we officially got our visa's issued and now it's like a rush to close up shop. 

We will be purchasing insurance out of pocket.  We are in CA so there are a few plans but roughly looking at about $1500-$1800/month for both policies.  My mom has some snowbird retirement plan that she was given after retiring from a fairly large company out in Canada...but we're unsure of coverage.  It says that it covers everything but there's no network etc.  Best cast is that it covers some and we could reduce some of the coverage on their other policy, worst case is that it covers nothing and we just have to pay out of pocket.  I've always been self employed so it's not new for me to pay out of pocket for extended health in Canada or in the US.  It's just slightly more $$ in the US, but I actually like my coverage and my doctors/health providers better.  

Thanks for the info . We are getting similar estimates as well for health policy in Boston. Good luck to your parents :)

Timeline
1 hour ago, Melody1920 said:

Thanks for the info . We are getting similar estimates as well for health policy in Boston. Good luck to your parents :)

Same to you!  I LOVE Boston, btw.  Although I'm originally a Canuck so I guess our teams don't love each other... What a nice place for your parents to move to.  Wishing you and your family the very best!  

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

• 3 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.