rye_212

EAD / AP card lost in the mail due to USCIS error

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi,

I can't' find a previous thread on this this.

In early July we applied for a renewal EAD/AP card as we are still waiting on AOS to be completed.  We moved 2 weeks after the renewal application was made and did the online address update using form AR-11.  We had an email from USCIS a few days later saying that the address change had been processed.    Correspondence on the  original 485 AOS application has come to the new address.

But the new AP/EAD card has been delivered to the old address.   We know this from the USPS tracking number on the myUSCIS website.   

So the addresses weren't updated everywhere by USCIS.   Back when the address update was done, the new address NEVER appeared on the myUscis website.   I called them to discuss this, and even went to a Tier 2 person.  She got abrupt with me and said the new address was in the system and that is where all correspondence would go.

We had a USPS redirect in place also, but from memory of a discussion on here, I think USCIS have a "do not redirect" notice on their envelopes. 

The new people in the old address weren't very helpful today, even though it was delivered only 4 days ago.  They may have just put it back in the mailbox for USPS to take away.  USPS say it would just go back to USCIS, they can't track the return and hold it. 

In my view, this is a USCIS error, we did everything asked of us, and even attempted, numerous times, to point out their error to them.  Id expect that if they took proper notes of the calls my reports should be documented in their system.    I wish I'd waited until after the move to re-apply but I thought that earlier application would mean earlier processing.  It didn't.   Now, I won't be able to visit family at Xmas that I haven't seen since December 2019. 

Has anyone had experience of this?  I will call USCIS but I want to arm myself with info on their process  before talking to them.  In my experience, many of the call center staff don't have the knowledge themselves and just report assumptions so as to get the call concluded.   I wouldn't be surprised if they have KPIs tracking call length.

first met late 2016, met 13 more times since. Filed i-129 Apr 14th. NOA2 dated Oct 11th. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

This is why you do not move, especially when you are very close to receiving a document from USCIS.

Two things I can think of:

1. You can go ASAP to your local PO distribution center and attempt to intercept. You needed to do this as of yesterday
  2. Wait and see if USPS will re-route to the new address, especially if you had changed address with them (USPS). They normally put a yellow sticker with rerouted mail. Did you change address with USPS?

I would attempt 1 above like ASAP. The more days that pass, you are less likely to find it still sitting at your local PO.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
19 hours ago, Timona said:

This is why you do not move, especially when you are very close to receiving a document from USCIS.

Two things I can think of:

1. You can go ASAP to your local PO distribution center and attempt to intercept. You needed to do this as of yesterday
  2. Wait and see if USPS will re-route to the new address, especially if you had changed address with them (USPS). They normally put a yellow sticker with rerouted mail. Did you change address with USPS?

I would attempt 1 above like ASAP. The more days that pass, you are less likely to find it still sitting at your local PO.

the EAD delivery happened on Sat and we had the actual GC interview on Tuesday, so I didn't check the myUSCIS site until Tuesday evening and then discovered the delivery notice.  On Wed morning, the new occupants said had they already put everything back in the mail, but didn't specifically recall the USCIS  letter.  We went to USPS who said it was too early/too late to intervene in the return process.    

Yes, we have USPS forwarding in place with the yellow stickers.  We got another USCIS letter forwarded.   But USPS doesn't forward all USCIS mail, I think its for security reasons.  There is a message on some USCIS envelopes saying "do not forward", and I assume that the EAD card is one of those envelopes.  

Anyway, USCIS also made an error in the spelling of the first line when they were inputting the address for the so that might disrupt the forwarding process.   

For the info of others, I found this 2018 USCIS press release saying that they were introducing "sign at delivery" for Greencards and for re-issued AP/EAD cards.   I didnt ask the occupants of the new address if they had signed for anything, but I would hope they would have told me if they had done so.  

https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-to-begin-using-more-secure-mail-delivery-service

first met late 2016, met 13 more times since. Filed i-129 Apr 14th. NOA2 dated Oct 11th. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, rye_212 said:

the EAD delivery happened on Sat and we had the actual GC interview on Tuesday, so I didn't check the myUSCIS site until Tuesday evening and then discovered the delivery notice.  On Wed morning, the new occupants said had they already put everything back in the mail, but didn't specifically recall the USCIS  letter.  We went to USPS who said it was too early/too late to intervene in the return process.    GC trumps EAD. You do not need EAD then, BUT hopefully, your GC is sent to the right address

Yes, we have USPS forwarding in place with the yellow stickers.  We got another USCIS letter forwarded.   But USPS doesn't forward all USCIS mail, I think its for security reasons.  There is a message on some USCIS envelopes saying "do not forward", and I assume that the EAD card is one of those envelopes.  

Anyway, USCIS also made an error in the spelling of the first line when they were inputting the address for the so that might disrupt the forwarding process.   

For the info of others, I found this 2018 USCIS press release saying that they were introducing "sign at delivery" for Greencards and for re-issued AP/EAD cards.   I didnt ask the occupants of the new address if they had signed for anything, but I would hope they would have told me if they had done so.  

https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-to-begin-using-more-secure-mail-delivery-service Never heard of this. I always find my cards in the mailbox. Similarly, USPS re-routed my USCIS mails after I moved. They had those yellow stickers. Anyway, things may have changed. Hopefully, you get the GC and just forget about the EAD.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Timona said:

In USCIS style, they introduced a last-minute roadblock on the greencard - they need a new medical for me.  So it will be prob Jan before the GC arrives.   i was hoping to use the AP card to travel in December.   But maybe not being able to travel is a good thing.  

Timeline

You should have headed there with the medicals on your interview date. 

Hopefully, you furnished it already and GC comes early than expected.

Timeline
Just now, Timona said:

You should have headed there with the medicals on your interview date. 

Hopefully, you furnished it already and GC comes early than expected.

No, I shouldn't.  They weren't requested in advance.   The medicals from my preceding visa were validly carried over to my AOS application automatically.  But they lost the medicals and that was only apparent to me (and to them, presumbly) on the day of the interview.  

7 hours ago, rye_212 said:

the EAD delivery happened on Sat and we had the actual GC interview on Tuesday, so I didn't check the myUSCIS site until Tuesday evening and then discovered the delivery notice.  On Wed morning, the new occupants said had they already put everything back in the mail, but didn't specifically recall the USCIS  letter.  We went to USPS who said it was too early/too late to intervene in the return process.    

https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-to-begin-using-more-secure-mail-delivery-service

you are correct. EAD/GC cards will not be forwarded by USPS 

duh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.