justmarriedusciti

GC Interview scheduled in older Field Office despite address change confirmation

8 posts in this topic

My Marriage based AoS interview has been scheduled, but I moved to a different state almost 5 months ago. I had submitted paperwork from both my side and my USC sponsor wife's side to USCIS about our address change. 

We even got a confirmation from USCIS that they had changed the address and then I also called them to confirm and they said they had the newest address on file. 

However, when the interview letter came in, it has the older FO listed there. 

I'm just concerned that their systems - as usual - might mess up something when we go there for the interview. Would the interviewing officer say that we are not supposed to interview at that office and that we now have a newer FO? 

Does it matter where the interview is even conducted after change of address?

Thank you 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, justmarriedusciti said:

My Marriage based AoS interview has been scheduled, but I moved to a different state almost 5 months ago. I had submitted paperwork from both my side and my USC sponsor wife's side to USCIS about our address change. 

We even got a confirmation from USCIS that they had changed the address and then I also called them to confirm and they said they had the newest address on file. 

However, when the interview letter came in, it has the older FO listed there. 

I'm just concerned that their systems - as usual - might mess up something when we go there for the interview. Would the interviewing officer say that we are not supposed to interview at that office and that we now have a newer FO? 

Does it matter where the interview is even conducted after change of address?

Thank you 

Stop worrying 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

This has happened many times I have seen on here. You have two options, notify USCIS and wait for them to reschedule you a new interview at the correct location ( not a good idea, will take even longer). Or if possible show up at the interview as scheduled and let them know about your moving. This is what I would do if possible. Don't risk waiting for a newly scheduled interview, especially as they are not happening fast at all recently.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

On 11/14/2020 at 5:18 PM, Loren Y said:

This has happened many times I have seen on here. You have two options, notify USCIS and wait for them to reschedule you a new interview at the correct location ( not a good idea, will take even longer). Or if possible show up at the interview as scheduled and let them know about your moving. This is what I would do if possible. Don't risk waiting for a newly scheduled interview, especially as they are not happening fast at all recently.

If I show up there, would they say that since we have Drivers Licenses from new state, that they don't have jurisdiction over our case and tell us to go back? We don't want to travel 8+ hours to and from Washington DC if that's what they do for out of state applicants.  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 11/16/2020 at 8:55 AM, justmarriedusciti said:

If I show up there, would they say that since we have Drivers Licenses from new state, that they don't have jurisdiction over our case and tell us to go back? We don't want to travel 8+ hours to and from Washington DC if that's what they do for out of state applicants.  

Hello! This happened to us. We did a change of address online and got that confirmation, then we got our interview confirmation for back in Virginia so we called USCIS, and got confirmation that we needed to have our interview here in Texas. 

They canceled the Virginia interview and scheduled one here in Texas. It set us back a few weeks (like maybe a month and a half), but we figured it was better to have our interview where we were supposed to instead of flying back to Virginia. 

This was also confirmed when USCIS told us we needed to have our interview at the location closest to our new home. 

1 hour ago, Chi_Rinze said:

Hello! This happened to us. We did a change of address online and got that confirmation, then we got our interview confirmation for back in Virginia so we called USCIS, and got confirmation that we needed to have our interview here in Texas. 

They canceled the Virginia interview and scheduled one here in Texas. It set us back a few weeks (like maybe a month and a half), but we figured it was better to have our interview where we were supposed to instead of flying back to Virginia. 

This was also confirmed when USCIS told us we needed to have our interview at the location closest to our new home. 

I have called them and got them to reschedule my interview. 

I have a few questions from you: 

- Did your new TX Field Office have longer wait times compared to the older VA Field Office? 

- Did you get separate NoA from each of the two Field offices at your new address?

- Did you receive a notification from the older office before your interview date or after? I ask this last one because the agent told me to still go to the interview in case notification from old FO doesn't arrive OR if they say they can't reschedule my interview before the given interview date.  

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 11/20/2020 at 3:42 PM, justmarriedusciti said:

- Did your new TX Field Office have longer wait times compared to the older VA Field Office? 

- Did you get separate NoA from each of the two Field offices at your new address?

- Did you receive a notification from the older office before your interview date or after? I ask this last one because the agent told me to still go to the interview in case notification from old FO doesn't arrive OR if they say they can't reschedule my interview before the given interview date.  

• I did not check on the wait times, as that just gave me anxiety. I will say that the field office I went to was AMAZING and super quick and transparent. 

• We received separate NOAs, but were advised to go to the interview here in Texas as that is where we live. So we sent a letter into the field office in VA letting them know that we no longer lived in VA. However, USCIS had handled the transfer before the letter was received. 

• I’m unsure about the last question? We received our interview cancellation letter to our new address shortly before our Texas interview letter came. 

Hope this helps!

Timeline
On 11/20/2020 at 3:42 PM, justmarriedusciti said:

Also, our interview in Texas was scheduled for a later date than the Virginia interview but not by much so it didn’t bother us as we were just grateful we could get an interview for this year. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.