stillirise

Misplaced original wedding certificate

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 minutes ago, stillirise said:

Please I misplaced my original wedding certificate am worried what to present at the interview day.please what is the solution am living in Lagos Nigeria.

Go back to the marriage registry and get another 

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Go back to the marriage registry and get another 

Thank you for your response hope it’s also recognized as the one on our wedding day

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, stillirise said:

Thank you for your response hope it’s also recognized as the one on our wedding day

The registry holds the "true " original,  what they will provide is a certified copy, which is as good  as having the original 

YMMV

Timeline
17 hours ago, payxibka said:

The registry holds the "true " original,  what they will provide is a certified copy, which is as good  as having the original 

This is good advice as @payxibka has given. You have uploaded a copy with USCIS and I'm sure with NVC as well. Getting a certified copy from the registry is the best way to go. My husband didn't have to show ours at his interview; but you are thinking ahead. All cases are not the same and they probably will not ask for it. 

You may even find it later on after time have passed. 

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Rosemichelle said:

This is good advice as @payxibka has given. You have uploaded a copy with USCIS and I'm sure with NVC as well. Getting a certified copy from the registry is the best way to go. My husband didn't have to show ours at his interview; but you are thinking ahead. All cases are not the same and they probably will not ask for it. 

You may even find it later on after time have passed. 

I really appreciate your advice,yes I pray I get the original back am just think ahead of time cause my wife took our wedding certificate with her back to the states and she mailed it to me since two months now and haven’t gotten it from the post office so I assume it’s misplaced cause this is how they misplace things there that makes me think about solutions to that with all this advice I feel relieved...God bless us all.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, stillirise said:

I really appreciate your advice,yes I pray I get the original back am just think ahead of time cause my wife took our wedding certificate with her back to the states and she mailed it to me since two months now and haven’t gotten it from the post office so I assume it’s misplaced cause this is how they misplace things there that makes me think about solutions to that with all this advice I feel relieved...God bless us all.

I was fortunate enough to visit my husband back in February. Therefore, I was able to carry all of the original with me. We do need the original marriage certificate here in the United States in order to change our names at the Social Security administration. The representative that waited on me had problems scanning it, because it was big. So the supervisor had to teach her. I believe with all of the front loading, making certain to scan the marriage certificate and all other civil documents; you will be ok. 

It cost alot to send things there as well as there is no guarantee that you will receive it. I know people that have used business addresses in order to send things to Nigeria. Some were successful and some were not. I pray all goes well with you and your family... keep the faith.  

We are all in this together.  I'm learning everyday by coming here. I sit quietly sometimes and read. I pray for a fast turn around for all in Nigeria. My husband and my family are there. Goodluck....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.