Jodie876

Misspelled SS card still can be used?

5 posts in this topic

Timeline

Got my social security card today in the mail, however they left the E off the end of my middle name. Looking on the website for the local office they are closed for in person visits. Would I be able to use the number for now until the offices open and I can go in to get the name corrected? I've seen where some have mailed in their original documents. I don't feel comfortable doing that, even more so now with the elections coming up and the trouble with the postal service recently. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Not really a big deal

when married i noticed my late husband's SS card had nickname (lets say Terry)

when his real name was he told me (lets say Terrence)

and when i looked at a birth certificate it said another name entirely as Terence (only 1 r)

I thought we needed to correct this issue but you pay into SS under the # and collect the same way (they will match any claim to the paperwork sent by USCIS)

Not something that needs immediate work or worry

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

As the previous poster tried to allud...Your number will not change when it is corrected.  However, when you are using your SS Card as Identification for Driver's License, employment, bank account, etc.... then it will be an issue as your name information is not the same on other documents.  It will up to individual agencies/employer to decide if they would like for you to wait until SS Card is corrected.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline
12 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

As the previous poster tried to allud...Your number will not change when it is corrected.  However, when you are using your SS Card as Identification for Driver's License, employment, bank account, etc.... then it will be an issue as your name information is not the same on other documents.  It will up to individual agencies/employer to decide if they would like for you to wait until SS Card is corrected.  

If anyone else encounters this problem I found this on the social security website. Thankfully it was my middle name they misspelt, so I won't have to risk sending in my only form of documentation through the mail. 

RM 10205.120 How the Number Holder’s Name is Shown on SSN Card

The number holder’s (NH) first and last name on his or her SSN card must agree with the first and last name shown on the document submitted as evidence of identity or legal name. A middle name or suffix is not considered part of the legal name. It does not matter if the middle name or suffix is included, omitted, or incorrectly shown on an SSN card.

For SSN purposes, a NH’s legal name consists of the first (or given name) and last (or family name or surname) that is used to sign legal documents, deeds, or contracts.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Middle names are not an issue for SSN only first and last are considered the official name. Mine was similar I guess my middle was too long. Just make sure your first and last are correct. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.