BarnacleBill

I-944 - Medical Debt. Is it an issue for AOS?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking the VJ forums for about a year now. I'm an ESTA overstay who hasn't been able to file for AOS yet because of my USC wife losing her job as Corona hit.

I have a question that I've not been able to find a clear answer for.

I have a minor medical issue that may likely need treatment in the next week or two. As I mentioned, my wife lost her job when COVID-19 blew up and she's been looking ever since. As a result, we don't have a lot of money and we don't have insurance.

I can't afford to go to the urgent care to have treatment. I had the same thing happen to me last year and it cost around $700 in total which doesn't sound like much compared to some medical bills I've seen, but it's a lot to pay up front.

My wife tells me that I could go to the ER once it gets bad and they would treat me, but I am concerned that I would incur medical debt then and that this would go against my future AOS application.

Does anyone know if medical debt would rule me inadmissable on public charge grounds if I filed for AOS? Or if it wouldn't be held against me. For the record, I have no other debt to my name in the USA and have not claimed any public benefits.

Thank you very much for your time.

- BB

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

If you go to the ER expect a bill at least double $700 probably a lot lot more... I’m not sure why she would suggest an ER over urgent care. Yes, debt, whether medical or not, is a negative factor in you being a public charge. That’s not to say you should let yourself die because you can’t afford treatment...there are always payment plans. Have your wife look for work at grocery stores which Have been hiring during the pandemic or Amazon/FedEx. Too bad she didn’t enroll in a Cobra plan. There are seasonal positions opening up as well.  There is no one willing to be a joint sponsor? If all else fails open enrollment starts Nov 1 but I’m not sure if you can get health insurance being illegal. I wish you luck 

You can review this form where you will have to list your debts/assets https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-944-pc.pdf

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline

Hi there,

The idea behind the ER versus Urgent Care as far as I'm aware was that, at the ER we wouldn't have to pay anything up front or we'd be able to pay an amount towards it. Whereas Urgent Care would involve paying the amount in full up front. I'm happy to be wrong about that and may well be misinformed though.

Thanks for answering my question.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I don't know what the issue with medical debt may be. Having some debt is not an issue for I-944 as long as you can prove that you are not likely to rely on public benefits in the future. I don't have medical debt but have over $100k in student loans and about $10k in credit cards. My lawyer told me not to worry about that because I am still in school. I am not sure how things will be with medical debt but I would assume some medical debt will not be an issue. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge

Certain Medicaid benefits. DHS will not consider the Medicaid benefits received:  

• For the treatment of an “emergency medical condition;”  

• As services or benefits provided in connection with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act; 

• As school-based services or benefits provided to individuals who are at or below the oldest age eligible for secondary education as determined under State or local law; 

• By aliens under the age of 21; and  

• By pregnant women and by women within the 60-day period beginning on the last day of the pregnancy.  

You can go to the ER and most will try to see if you qualify for Medicaid. If you do, the emergency services will be covered. 

My wife received Medicaid as she was pregnant with my daughter and I filed the I-485 for her with I-944. I sent proof that the medical treatment she received was related to pregnancy. 

Edited by E_pluribus_unum

My current Timeline:

June 9, 2020 - Form I-130 filed electronically through USCIS.gov

June 10, 2020 - Form I-130 Accepted

June 11, 2020 - Form I-130 I-797 PDF available for download with priority date of June 9, 2020

June 16, 2020 - Mailed I-485 packet* along with I-131 and I-765

June 18, 2020 - USPS confirms packet delivered

July 20, 2020 - Credit Card charged

July 27, 2020 - I-797 letters received for I-485, I-765, and I-131 with a received date of June 18, 2020

August 10, 2020 - Notice of RFE for I-485 mailed. 

August 13, 2020 -  Red RFE notice received via mail. Notice requested proof of residence for 864A sponsor. 

August 13, 2020 - Mailed RFE response to USCIS**

August 17, 2020 - USPS confirms that RFE response was delivered

August 18, 2020 - USCIS Notification confirming receipt of response for RFE

September 24, 2020 - Received I-693 Deficiency Notice

January 19, 2021 - Form I-130 Approved and notice sent to beneficiary with notice available immediately online

January 22, 2021 - Form I-130 Approval Notice received by mail

January 29, 2021 - Biometrics notice received for the I-485 and I-765 dated for February 17. 2020 at 1pm

February 17, 2021 - Code 3 Biometrics taken for I-485 and I-765. Case updated to show biometrics applied to both I-485 and I-765 the same night. 

February 18, 2021 - I-485 case status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for interview" 

April 19, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "New Card is Being Produced"

April 20, 2021 - I-765 and I-131 case status changed to "Case was approved"  

April 22, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

April 23, 2021 - Approval notices received for I-131 and I-765 via mail

April 23, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service" with a delivery date set to Monday, April 26, 2021, by 9:00 PM

April 26, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office" and card picked up in mail box

April 29, 2021 - Visit to Social Security Administration for SSN Card

May 4, 2021 - SSN Card arrives in the mail 

December 20, 2021 - Send I-765 and I-131 Renewal via FedEx

December 22, 2021 - I-765 and I-131 Renewal received in Chicago

December 30, 2021 - I-797 notice received for I-765 and I-131

May 24, 2022 - AOS Interview Sacramento

May 26, 2022 - Status updated to "New Card is being produced" Green Card Approved. 

*Packet was mailed without I-693 medical. Will wait for an RFE and take it to the interview. Also, tax transcripts were not available at the time so copies of the tax returns were sent and a cover letter explaining why. 

**Included tax transcripts in RFE response since I was now able to gain access since sending the application. 

Timeline

Thank you so much for your responses everyone. This has been very helpful.

Luckily, the issue I was having is settling (it comes and goes but when it gets bad, it does warrant medical intervention because it can lead to sepsis). Unfortunately, it means that if I don't want the public charge rule to affect me, I need to make sure it's quite bad before I do visit the ER to make sure that they cannot say it wasn't an emergency medical condition.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.