oscar_pal

Quick Marriage for K-1, Red Flag??

6 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

So the quick and dirty is that I met my fiance online around mid-may and we talked for a couple of months until I went to her country to meet her. I spent 2 weeks with her and we fell absolutely in love. I came back to the US mid august and I just recently sent the I-129F application for the k-1 visa. Are we doing this too quick that the USCIS will deny our application? We are meeting again in November in another country and another time sometime in March/April, but I am just worried USCIS will be mad at how fast we applied. What do you guys think?

ty

USCIS won't care...they don't evaluate the bona fides of the relationship for an I-129F. The embassy or consulate where the K-1 interview happens is the one who will evaluate that.

What country is the beneficiary from? Any red flags (large age gap, differences of religion, don't speak a common language, past attempts to immigrate via a spouse or fiancé, etc.)?

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

USCIS won't care...they don't evaluate the bona fides of the relationship for an I-129F. The embassy or consulate where the K-1 interview happens is the one who will evaluate that.

What country is the beneficiary from? Any red flags (large age gap, differences of religion, don't speak a common language, past attempts to immigrate via a spouse or fiancé, etc.)?

Ahhhh thats actually good to hear. We hung out for 2 weeks in Ukraine (where she is from), then in November we are going to Turkey, then March/April we are going to western Europe if the EU eases their Covid-19 traveling restrictions. So I am not worried about the interview because by that time we will have met several times and she will easily prove our love. Thats good to hear.

She is 34, I am 27...thats about it. Not too big of a gap I dont think....

But on second thought, if they dont evaluate the bonda fide of the relationship why do we have to show proof of on going relationship such as pictures together and other evidence?

2 minutes ago, oscar_pal said:

Ahhhh thats actually good to hear. We hung out for 2 weeks in Ukraine (where she is from), then in November we are going to Turkey, then March/April we are going to western Europe if the EU eases their Covid-19 traveling restrictions. So I am not worried about the interview because by that time we will have met several times and she will easily prove our love. Thats good to hear.

The more time together, the better.

I'm not familiar with Ukrainian local customs, but that doesn't jump out as unusual to me. If I'm incorrect, I'm sure somebody will point it out.

But on second thought, if they dont evaluate the bonda fide of the relationship why do we have to show proof of on going relationship such as pictures together and other evidence?

Where does it say that is a requirement with the I-129F? https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-129finstr.pdf

One of the main I-129F requirements is to demonstrate that you met at least once within the past 2 years. Photos are secondary here (placing a verifiable date with a photo is very difficult).

It is sometimes suggested to include evidence of a bona fide relationship with the I-129F so that the CO will see the evidence before the interview (plus you should bring more since filing). But USCIS won't look at it.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

6 minutes ago, oscar_pal said:

But on second thought, if they dont evaluate the bonda fide of the relationship why do we have to show proof of on going relationship such as pictures together and other evidence?  They don't.  Did you read the official instructions?  The requirement is to have met in person one time during the immediate two years prior to filing the petition.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, oscar_pal said:

An urban legend that simply won't die.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.