3 posts in this topic

Hello, so I can't seem to find helpful information about this topic. To give the TLDR. My girlfriend is an Australia citizen (30F), I'm a US citizen (32M), and we are looking to close the gap but we have to look at the future. She has Kidney disease and at some point will need to be on dialysis but there is no clear timeline for that. Currently in Australia all of that would be covered while here in the states it is much different. She would be able to get on my medical insurance through my work, but when Dialysis hits the cost would be pretty bad even with insurance. I read that Green Card Holders can become eligible for Medicare ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease) after five years of being a lawful US citizen or after I had paid into medicare for 10 years. Then Medicare ESRD covers the cost of dialysis and transplant.

I am looking to see if anyone had any direct experience with this type of problem. Currently right now she is just on medications and doctors visits, nothing crazy, so I don't think she would be considered a burden to the US if she was admitted into the States. I've tried to find good information on this but it feels like there is so much information that is either plain in simple or very complex. Could someone be able to give me a better understanding of this process?

3 minutes ago, AusToUSCouple said:

Hello, so I can't seem to find helpful information about this topic. To give the TLDR. My girlfriend is an Australia citizen (30F), I'm a US citizen (32M), and we are looking to close the gap but we have to look at the future. She has Kidney disease and at some point will need to be on dialysis but there is no clear timeline for that. Currently in Australia all of that would be covered while here in the states it is much different. She would be able to get on my medical insurance through my work, but when Dialysis hits the cost would be pretty bad even with insurance. I read that Green Card Holders can become eligible for Medicare ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease) after five years of being a lawful US citizen or after I had paid into medicare for 10 years. Then Medicare ESRD covers the cost of dialysis and transplant.

I am looking to see if anyone had any direct experience with this type of problem. Currently right now she is just on medications and doctors visits, nothing crazy, so I don't think she would be considered a burden to the US if she was admitted into the States. I've tried to find good information on this but it feels like there is so much information that is either plain in simple or very complex. Could someone be able to give me a better understanding of this process?

My husband and I immigrated for a second time...  from Australia .. 4 years ago. When we left the USA the first time , he had 36 of the required 40 SS quarters. Once we returned here  22 years later ) he was working  full time and has over 40 quarters. He applied for Medicare Part A after this and  was approved even though he had not been an LPR for the 5 years preceding the application. So I think your interpretation may be correct. We got so much conflicting info ..multiple calls to SSA and Medicare infoline gave different answers each time ...  the only way we got a definitive answer was to actually apply. Check if there is a “ you must have been married for at least .....“ clause in there for non working spouses to be eligible under their working spouses SSA record. Hope this helps. I understand the reticence to give up the Aussie green Medicare card 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

People can comment on the situation now, maybe next year but that is a push, 10 years?

The general comment that the US is not a good place to be if you have major medical issues is likely to hold true.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.