11 posts in this topic

Does anyone have experience getting police records from Argentina while being outside of Argentina??

I am getting together all the papers for NVC for my husband who lived in Argentina after he turned 16, but it has been impossible. We are in Colombia and we are not getting any straight answers from the argentinian embassy in Colombia. It seems as if he will have to travel to Argentina for this 1 document.

Anyone has any ideas?? Thanks!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sabina Acosta said:

Does anyone have experience getting police records from Argentina while being outside of Argentina??

I am getting together all the papers for NVC for my husband who lived in Argentina after he turned 16, but it has been impossible. We are in Colombia and we are not getting any straight answers from the argentinian embassy in Colombia. It seems as if he will have to travel to Argentina for this 1 document.

Anyone has any ideas?? Thanks!!

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Argentina.html

Follow the link, scroll down to the correct category.   Outside of Argentina you enlist the assistance of a local Argentina embassy or Consulate nearest to him

YMMV

Hi @Sabina Acosta!

According to the instructions posted above, the Argentinian embassy in Colombia should help, but this might be another option:

Does your husband have an Argentinian DNI?

If he does, he can get the police certificate online here: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/justicia/reincidencia/antecedentespenales

Your husband needs a DNI and a "clave fiscal nivel 2". In that link are the instructions for getting that "clave fiscal" online, as well. 

I got that clave fiscal in person years ago so I don't know much about the online procedure, but I hope this helps.

Edit: Also, if he's successful in getting the police certificate online, there's another extra step he must do to get the art. 51 exception written in the .pdf. I explained it here: 

Hope it helps!

Edited by peony

IR-1/CR-1 

Argentina

Spoiler

Potomac Service Center
I-130 Priority Date: 2019-09-27
I-130 NOA1: 2019-10-02

I-130 NOA2: 2020-06-09 (251 days)

NVC received: 2020-06-10

NVC uploaded AOS and IV docs to CEAC: 2020-06-29

NVC case completed: 2020-07-09

Interview appointment e-mail received: 2020-08-06

Interview: 2020-09-17 (351 days)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 9:28 AM, peony said:

Hi @Sabina Acosta!

According to the instructions posted above, the Argentinian embassy in Colombia should help, but this might be another option:

Does your husband have an Argentinian DNI?

If he does, he can get the police certificate online here: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/justicia/reincidencia/antecedentespenales

Your husband needs a DNI and a "clave fiscal nivel 2". In that link are the instructions for getting that "clave fiscal" online, as well. 

I got that clave fiscal in person years ago so I don't know much about the online procedure, but I hope this helps.

Edit: Also, if he's successful in getting the police certificate online, there's another extra step he must do to get the art. 51 exception written in the .pdf. I explained it here: 

Hope it helps!

Hi Peony! you are the best. thank you for this, I had this big doubt about this requirement since the consulate says this is not a thing that can be specified on the certificate. You have saved me a lot of trouble.

1 minute ago, Sabina Acosta said:

Hi Peony! you are the best. thank you for this, I had this big doubt about this requirement since the consulate says this is not a thing that can be specified on the certificate. You have saved me a lot of trouble.

Aww I'm so glad! 🤗

If you need help with anything else Argentina related, let me know in case I can help!

IR-1/CR-1 

Argentina

Spoiler

Potomac Service Center

4 minutes ago, peony said:

Aww I'm so glad! 🤗

If you need help with anything else Argentina related, let me know in case I can help!

Hi! thank you, that is very nice of you. Actually yes, I do have a question.

So my husband has an appointment on friday at the Argentinian consulate to get his fingerprints taken for the "certificado de antecedentes penales" that will then be available online as a PDF. Should I get a certificación consular, or an apostilla? or both?

I believe an apostille/certificación si not neccessary at the NVC stage, unless it's requested. Searched around the site and it seems to be the case. Maybe at time of interview double check with the US embassy in Colombia just to be sure? (assuming that'd be where the interview will take place).

(If required after all; Colombia, United States and Argentina are all part of the apostille convention, so I would think having an apostille is the way to go, more than a certificación consular. )

___

Also, I found this information on the Miami, Canada and Perú argentinian embassies, regarding the Art. 51 (while abroad, it seems?):

https://cmiam.cancilleria.gob.ar/es/content/solicitud-de-antecedentes-penales

https://ctoro.cancilleria.gob.ar/en/node/669

https://clima.cancilleria.gob.ar/es/tramitados-en-este-consulado-general

In short, even if the procedures vary greatly, they all seem to indicate one should put/write "[Autoridades estadounidenses] con excepción al Art. 51 del código penal" on the "para ser presentado en:/para ser presentado ante:".

"En dicho sitio se indica que deberán solicitar este certificado de antecedentes penales mencionando específicamente "con excepción al artículo 51 del Código Penal". Aquellos que incluyan esta mención podrán hacerlo en el formulario de solicitud de antecedentes en el campo "PARA SER PRESENTADO ANTE.......".

If that works, then it might not even be needed to do the "correction" after getting it in .pdf form since it'll say the phrase already? 🤔 

Edited by peony

IR-1/CR-1 

Argentina

Spoiler

Potomac Service Center

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Sabina Acosta said:

Hi! thank you, that is very nice of you. Actually yes, I do have a question.

So my husband has an appointment on friday at the Argentinian consulate to get his fingerprints taken for the "certificado de antecedentes penales" that will then be available online as a PDF. Should I get a certificación consular, or an apostilla? or both?

Neither.  If it was required there would be specific instructions to do so 

YMMV

2 hours ago, peony said:

I believe an apostille/certificación si not neccessary at the NVC stage, unless it's requested. Searched around the site and it seems to be the case. Maybe at time of interview double check with the US embassy in Colombia just to be sure? (assuming that'd be where the interview will take place).

(If required after all; Colombia, United States and Argentina are all part of the apostille convention, so I would think having an apostille is the way to go, more than a certificación consular. )

___

Also, I found this information on the Miami, Canada and Perú argentinian embassies, regarding the Art. 51 (while abroad, it seems?):

https://cmiam.cancilleria.gob.ar/es/content/solicitud-de-antecedentes-penales

https://ctoro.cancilleria.gob.ar/en/node/669

https://clima.cancilleria.gob.ar/es/tramitados-en-este-consulado-general

In short, even if the procedures vary greatly, they all seem to indicate one should put/write "[Autoridades estadounidenses] con excepción al Art. 51 del código penal" on the "para ser presentado en:/para ser presentado ante:".

"En dicho sitio se indica que deberán solicitar este certificado de antecedentes penales mencionando específicamente "con excepción al artículo 51 del Código Penal". Aquellos que incluyan esta mención podrán hacerlo en el formulario de solicitud de antecedentes en el campo "PARA SER PRESENTADO ANTE.......".

If that works, then it might not even be needed to do the "correction" after getting it in .pdf form since it'll say the phrase already? 🤔 

Thank you this is super helpful. I requested the certificate to be presented to "The National Visa Center con excepción al art. 51 del Código Penal argentino". Do you think this exact certificate can be presented at the interview or for the interview it should be specified that it is to be presented to "U.S.IMMIGRATION"??  will it matter that it says "National Visa Center". 

I know it sounds like I am obsessing over the small details but this is my only chance at getting this certificate since they are doing a huge exception for my husband to issue the certificate as a Colombian even though he is also Argentinian because his DNI and argentinian passport are both expired and can't renew now due to the pandemic.

11 minutes ago, Sabina Acosta said:

Thank you this is super helpful. I requested the certificate to be presented to "The National Visa Center con excepción al art. 51 del Código Penal argentino". Do you think this exact certificate can be presented at the interview or for the interview it should be specified that it is to be presented to "U.S.IMMIGRATION"??  will it matter that it says "National Visa Center". 

I know it sounds like I am obsessing over the small details but this is my only chance at getting this certificate since they are doing a huge exception for my husband to issue the certificate as a Colombian even though he is also Argentinian because his DNI and argentinian passport are both expired and can't renew now due to the pandemic.

The instructions make no mention of that so it doesn't matter, and what matters is having the certificate itself, so don't worry!

And I completely understand, it must be so stressful.

In case it helps, this is the (argentinian) phone number of the Registro Nacional de Reincidencia (the issuing authority) -> (+54) 0800-666-0055.

If the .pdf doesn't say anything about the exception to art. 51, and doing a "reclamo" online doesn't work for some reason, as a last resort you can try and call and see if they can help somehow.

If I manage to find more info, I'll message you!

IR-1/CR-1 

Argentina

Spoiler

Potomac Service Center

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.