SNAVegas

Social Security Income for I-864 Affidavit of support

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
18 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

my SSA was not taxable income and NVC did not want to accept it / until i went to a lawyer in Atlanta and he wrote a letter for me 

you will notice above that Social Security income is not mentioned

there may be other factors that figure into whether or not NVC considers it without a fight

I had the same concern about my SSA income not being included in my gross income on my 1040. I didn't go to a lawyer, but wrote a letter myself. In addition to the Social Security benefits letter, I included bank statements showing the deposits. Our application was approved with no trouble at all.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
21 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Yes, Social Security Retirement income is, in fact, acceptable income.  I, personally, used my SS retirement along with my military retirement pensions to show evidence of my financial ability to sponsor my wife.

My father, who will be my Joint Sponsor, is getting his SS retirement and naval retirement next year and will use that as proof to help get my husband to the states :). Good to know someone else has done it! 

1 minute ago, Pokua Monique said:

Yes it is, but just in case, I have a co sponser. I think I will go ahead because I dont want any issues.

An equally important question is whether your disability income is actually enough to support an immigrant for 6-8 months, including paying for health insurance.  You may have issues with AOS.

On 9/4/2020 at 10:17 AM, Joyoussinger said:

I had the same concern about my SSA income not being included in my gross income on my 1040. I didn't go to a lawyer, but wrote a letter myself. In addition to the Social Security benefits letter, I included bank statements showing the deposits. Our application was approved with no trouble at all.

Thank you so much for this information. Glad to read that you have personal experience for using Social Security  Income as a source of Current Income & that your Application & Visa was approved with the documentation that you sent. I have the exact same proofs available as well so will follow your advice. 

On 9/4/2020 at 10:17 AM, Joyoussinger said:

Was your case adjudicated in the USA or at an Embassy overseas My beneficiary will be applying for the Visa in Hong Kong & that is where the Interview will be held. Hopefully the Counselor Officer at the Embassy who  will be making the Final decision is OK with the provided documents. The NVC does not approve the documents but rather collects the required documents & forwards them to the US Embassy for approval. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, SNAVegas said:

Was your case adjudicated in the USA or at an Embassy overseas My beneficiary will be applying for the Visa in Hong Kong & that is where the Interview will be held. Hopefully the Counselor Officer at the Embassy who  will be making the Final decision is OK with the provided documents. The NVC does not approve the documents but rather collects the required documents & forwards them to the US Embassy for approval. 

My husband was adjusting having come on a K1 Visa, so our AOS was adjudicated in the United States.

10 minutes ago, Joyoussinger said:

My husband was adjusting having come on a K1 Visa, so our AOS was adjudicated in the United States.

Thank you for your reply. USCIS is part of the Homeland security Dept.& adjudicates Adjustment of Status cases in the USA & it has it's own rules & regulations. The  NVC & The Embassies are part of the Dept. of State & sometimes follow slightly different rules & Regulations but are essentially very similar. So I am hopeful my situation will be accepted. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, SNAVegas said:

Thank you for your reply. USCIS is part of the Homeland security Dept.& adjudicates Adjustment of Status cases in the USA & it has it's own rules & regulations. The  NVC & The Embassies are part of the Dept. of State & sometimes follow slightly different rules & Regulations but are essentially very similar. So I am hopeful my situation will be accepted. 

Good luck to you. I would be surprised if it wasn't accepted. You are proving your income and it's the same I-864. Your supporting info will show that the SSA income really is income, just in case the adjudicator doesn't understand which I think is unlikely.

On 9/4/2020 at 5:49 PM, Jorgedig said:

An equally important question is whether your disability income is actually enough to support an immigrant for 6-8 months, including paying for health insurance.  You may have issues with AOS.

My SSDI income is above the listed minimum, I worked a long time before I became disabled. Also have over 200k life insurance, and almost 400k equity in my property. But to avoid any issues I will use a co-sponsor. Thank you.

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.