lbounds

New requirements for US spouse and child

46 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

You think that is necessary?

I may avail that visa to enter the Philippines in the future when they get rid of the quarantine / lockdowns.

Me I was going to leave my wife at home in USA, and catch a flight to PI 

You will need to do something to "show" that your wife is in the Philippines.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Consulates are asking for this proof to issue a visa.  Thats why the consulate is allowing a photo taken with a newspaper of the person in the Philippines with the date.  Maybe you can use her sister if she has one there :)  Just be careful as I am hearing they are really scrutinizing foreigners arriving into Manila with a visa.  

For ones with kids they are asking for a DFA letter which is never mentioned by the consulate.  I know of no one that has been turned away by Immigration without the DFA letter but its being escalated to more senior immigration officials to look at first.  

@lbounds Write to the consulate first and let them know your situation.  I would want more feedback from them traveling with a 4 year old without a Filipino passport into the Philippines.  Like others have said, I would probably just get the Philippine passport for him and not the visa.  The intent of these visas is for foreigners to visit their spouses or their children so from an immigration point of view, their may be a different interpretation or a grey area that you would wanted cleared up. 

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

24 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

You will need to do something to "show" that your wife is in the Philippines.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Consulates are asking for this proof to issue a visa.  Thats why the consulate is allowing a photo taken with a newspaper of the person in the Philippines with the date.  Maybe you can use her sister if she has one there :)  Just be careful as I am hearing they are really scrutinizing foreigners arriving into Manila with a visa.  

For ones with kids they are asking for a DFA letter which is never mentioned by the consulate.  I know of no one that has been turned away by Immigration without the DFA letter but its being escalated to more senior immigration officials to look at first.  

My wife is in the USA.

I am planning my return to Philippines.   

That was my question, can she be in USA and I go to Philippines with the proper documents for a vacay..

Edited by Allovertheworld

57 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

My wife is in the USA.

I am planning my return to Philippines.   

That was my question, can she be in USA and I go to Philippines with the proper documents for a vacay..

No, she would have to be in the Philippines.  The bigger problem though is its just not a place for a vacation even if you could go now.  Probably my closest foreign friend in Manila just arrived back to LA and his message to me was he will never ever sacrifice his personal freedoms again which he had been doing since March there.  He's been on an SRRV visa the last 10 years and he knew leaving the country he could not get back for the next 6-15 months, but he had just lost all patience and he is the most patient person I know.  He just flew to Mexico today where he will stay until things get back to normal. 

Not only would you have to quarantine in certain areas, but in some places you would need a travel pass just to go to the grocery store or somewhere else in the town.  Each barangay tends to have different curfews, some at 8pm, some at 10pm, some 11pm, etc.  The national government has taken off the restrictions on 60+ year olds but some provinces/towns, etc are still restricting 60+ year olds from going outside.  You need to wear a face mask and shield in most places, plus youll be fined if you are not doing both, even if your by yourself walking down the sidewalk.  And dont even think of breaking a rule. :)  Your neighbors could report you to the local barangay where you would be fined or worse.  

If you want to fly to another province, you would need to quarantine in destination, plus flights are still being given to OFWs to get home.  You may want to look at Thailand if you have a month to spare.  I heard Phuket is opening up to tourist but you have to quarantine in your hotel for two weeks, plus you must stay a minimum of one month, but after the two weeks you would be free to travel to other parts of Thailand.  However only about 50% of things are open or less.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

I became US citizen last year. My daughter still holds Philippine passport and considered Filipino citizen. My petition to expedite i130 was approved and she'll have her medical next week. Hopefully I can pick her up on October or November. Do I still need a visa to enter in the Philippines to pick up my daughter?  Can you advise the email address of the consulate I can ask about the situation? 

Thank you 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, RandR16 said:

I became US citizen last year. My daughter still holds Philippine passport and considered Filipino citizen. My petition to expedite i130 was approved and she'll have her medical next week. Hopefully I can pick her up on October or November. Do I still need a visa to enter in the Philippines to pick up my daughter?  Can you advise the email address of the consulate I can ask about the situation? 

Thank you 

What state do you live?

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

8 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

No, she would have to be in the Philippines.  The bigger problem though is its just not a place for a vacation even if you could go now.  Probably my closest foreign friend in Manila just arrived back to LA and his message to me was he will never ever sacrifice his personal freedoms again which he had been doing since March there.  He's been on an SRRV visa the last 10 years and he knew leaving the country he could not get back for the next 6-15 months, but he had just lost all patience and he is the most patient person I know.  He just flew to Mexico today where he will stay until things get back to normal. 

Not only would you have to quarantine in certain areas, but in some places you would need a travel pass just to go to the grocery store or somewhere else in the town.  Each barangay tends to have different curfews, some at 8pm, some at 10pm, some 11pm, etc.  The national government has taken off the restrictions on 60+ year olds but some provinces/towns, etc are still restricting 60+ year olds from going outside.  You need to wear a face mask and shield in most places, plus youll be fined if you are not doing both, even if your by yourself walking down the sidewalk.  And dont even think of breaking a rule. :)  Your neighbors could report you to the local barangay where you would be fined or worse.  

If you want to fly to another province, you would need to quarantine in destination, plus flights are still being given to OFWs to get home.  You may want to look at Thailand if you have a month to spare.  I heard Phuket is opening up to tourist but you have to quarantine in your hotel for two weeks, plus you must stay a minimum of one month, but after the two weeks you would be free to travel to other parts of Thailand.  However only about 50% of things are open or less.

I am not going to PI until all this silly quarantine/lockdown/liquor ban and closing of night clubs are over with.  

I can catch a plane from Dallas and be in Cancun in about 2 hours, So I have many options where to go.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, RandR16 said:

@HRQX do you know how long will it take?  I need to get my daughter as soon as she got her immigrant visa on hand. Thank you.

Pre COVID was 6 to 8 weeks

YMMV

Checking the LA consulate passport schedule there’s no dates available for any appointment even going into December 2020.

I’m going to try the visa route which can be submitted by mail.

K1 timeline :

1/11/10 - I-129F sent to California Service Center

1/19/10 - NOA1

2/18/10 - moved and changed address on USCIS site

2/19/10 - touched

3/10/10 - touched

3/10/10 - NOA2, hardcopy recieved 3/12

3/16/10 - Left NVC, recieved MNL case #

3/22/10 - USEM recieved

4/19/10 - Passed Medical

4/28/10 - Interview - Approved

4/30/10 - Picked up Visa and completed CFO

5/5/10 - POE - Honolulu, Hawaii

5/6/10 - married in Hawaii

AOS timeline:

7/8/10 - received SSN Card

7/16/10 - reported US marriage for RP records

10/18/10 - AOS delivered in Chicago

10/25/10 - NOA1

11/04/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

11/23/10 - Biometrics Completed

11/24/10 - touched

11/26/10 - touched

02/14/11 - AOS approved at Interview, GC ordered

02/22/11 - GC arrives in mail

ROC Timeline:

12/17/12 - I-751 sent to California Service Center

12/20/12 - NOA1 arrives in mail

1/14/13 - Biometrics appointment

4/11/13 - RC Approved at Interview

4/22/13 - 10 Year Green Card arrived in mail

event.png

Always Thankful for God's blessings on our lives..

3 minutes ago, RandR16 said:

Do we have to mail the actual passport too? I'm just concerned on how it will be returned to me as we have some mailing issues lately.

How would they attach the VISA without the passport?

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

14 minutes ago, RandR16 said:

Do we have to mail the actual passport too? I'm just concerned on how it will be returned to me as we have some mailing issues lately.

I have a passport with a whole bunch of 10 year visas at roughly $160 each.

You can send it insured (for the total reconstruction costs) via USPS Priority Mail and enclose a return envelope with the same insurance on it.  My preference is to do an personal appearance.  But I have had to send it it for India, Kazakhstan, Nepal and Bolivia.

I've done it.   I do it.  I have had one go missing!  Which is also why I keep an additional limited term US Passport.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.