yere_and_kanbi

[Presidential Proclamation: Exception] ESTA: European spouse of a US citizen

8 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I am a European citizen affected by the travel ban via presidential proclamation barring anyone who has been in the UK, Ireland or EU within the past 14 days, from entering the US.

Acording to the proclamation, spouses of US citizens are exempt from the ban. I currently do not have a greencard or other residence permit (permanent or otherwise).

From what I understand, I will be able to enter the States with my European passport and evidence of marriage, correct ?

Has anyone with a valid ESTA registration travelled under this exception since the ban has come into effect ?

If so, would you mind sharing if you experienced any issues ? What else do I have to watch out for ?

What proof did you have to present at the point of entry ?

Were there any issues with the airline ?

I look forward to your answers.

Thanks and best regards.

I think you have to bring a copy of marriage certificate and copy of his passport. Proof that you don’t have any intention to stay permanently like rent, employment contract, ticket going back home etc. 

I my self is going to visit my USC husband next month and I’ll be using ESTA. I emailed US embassy to make sure that I’m exempted to the ban before purchasing ticket. It will be my 5th time visiting my husband using ESTA.  ☺️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Two posts in other threads removed. Please do not post your question in other threads or post the same question multiple times.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

22 hours ago, Tyson20 said:

I think you have to bring a copy of marriage certificate and copy of his passport. Proof that you don’t have any intention to stay permanently like rent, employment contract, ticket going back home etc. 

I my self is going to visit my USC husband next month and I’ll be using ESTA. I emailed US embassy to make sure that I’m exempted to the ban before purchasing ticket. It will be my 5th time visiting my husband using ESTA.  ☺️

Hi Tyson20,

thanks for the response.

Did you get a response from the embassy ?

14 hours ago, yere_and_kanbi said:

Hi Tyson20,

thanks for the response.

Did you get a response from the embassy ?

If you are married to a U.S. citizen you are exempt and do not need to apply for a National Interest Exception (NIE). You should however contact your airline before travelling and ask them what documents they require for boarding.

Sincerely,

Non-Immigrant Visa Unit
Embassy of the United States of America
Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31
SE-115 89 Stockholm Sweden

That’s the response from the embassy.

☺️

30 minutes ago, Tyson20 said:

If you are married to a U.S. citizen you are exempt and do not need to apply for a National Interest Exception (NIE). You should however contact your airline before travelling and ask them what documents they require for boarding.

Sincerely,

Non-Immigrant Visa Unit
Embassy of the United States of America
Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31
SE-115 89 Stockholm Sweden

That’s the response from the embassy.

☺️

Thanks alot for the info :☺️

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Hi,

I recently traveled on a valid ESTA to the US from the Schengen area and experienced no issues at all!

Before boarding I was asked to show both my husband's passport and our marriage certificate (I was carrying, among other documents, a color copy of his passport biopage as well as certified copy of our marriage certificate) and once those were checked, was let to board. So, as far as airlines go (KLM and Delta), I had no problems.

At port of entry, the only documention the officer wanted to see was my return ticket. Other than that, I was asked same questions as always without any mention of the pending i-130.

From experience, dont bother calling the airlines for guidance; staff on the phone are clueless and know no more than you do. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2020 at 12:02 AM, UsFin said:

Hi,

I recently traveled on a valid ESTA to the US from the Schengen area and experienced no issues at all!

Before boarding I was asked to show both my husband's passport and our marriage certificate (I was carrying, among other documents, a color copy of his passport biopage as well as certified copy of our marriage certificate) and once those were checked, was let to board. So, as far as airlines go (KLM and Delta), I had no problems.

At port of entry, the only documention the officer wanted to see was my return ticket. Other than that, I was asked same questions as always without any mention of the pending i-130.

From experience, dont bother calling the airlines for guidance; staff on the phone are clueless and know no more than you do. 

Just saw that you mentioned KLM and Delta. I am in a very similar boat here - flying with KLM and then DELTA to get to the USA using ESTA. Also with a pending I-130. Did you fly from Amsterdam at all? What was the experience there like?

Did they check this information at the gate or at check-in?And at which airport? I am concerned that my first airport (Edinburgh) will not be very knowledgeable this scenario, whereas Amsterdam will be. Just curious to know a bit more about your experience. Thanks.

We Met: 14/02/2017

Relationship: 17/03/2017

Engaged: 01/01/2019

Married: 05/17/2020

I-130 Filed: 15/07/2020

NOA1: 15/07/2020

NOA2: 26/05/2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.