3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, could really use your expertise regarding legal first + middle name changes during a pending/impending USCIS application.

Quick sentence of context: I moved to the US from Canada on a K1 visa 3.5 years ago. I'm the immigrant spouse and currently have my application for removal of conditions pending (form i-751). I am eligible to apply for citizenship on September 23rd. My application is ready to be submitted end of next month.

The problem: I legally changed my first and middle name (this is something I've wanted for many, many years so I refused to wait, regardless of cost). I just received the notarized and official documents, signed and stamped by the judge, stating that it is legally changed.

Do I notify USCIS immediately and, if so, who do I contact? Where I do I submit this and is there a form to do this? OR can I simply notify USCIS by just including the notarized order from the judge with my application for citizenship and not worry about it otherwise, since I'm submitting it so soon (end of next month)?

Thank you so much for your help.

I feel like this is an I-90 issue since your green card no longer matches your legal name. However because youre filing for citizenship right away, and you're in the middle of ROC I'm unsure.  I believe you need to notify them ASAP.  I would call USCIS and speak to a tier 2. Perhaps you have have this info added to your file?

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 8/5/2020 at 6:09 PM, Taylor and Eric said:

Hi everyone, could really use your expertise regarding legal first + middle name changes during a pending/impending USCIS application.

Quick sentence of context: I moved to the US from Canada on a K1 visa 3.5 years ago. I'm the immigrant spouse and currently have my application for removal of conditions pending (form i-751). I am eligible to apply for citizenship on September 23rd. My application is ready to be submitted end of next month.

The problem: I legally changed my first and middle name (this is something I've wanted for many, many years so I refused to wait, regardless of cost). I just received the notarized and official documents, signed and stamped by the judge, stating that it is legally changed.

Do I notify USCIS immediately and, if so, who do I contact? Where I do I submit this and is there a form to do this? OR can I simply notify USCIS by just including the notarized order from the judge with my application for citizenship and not worry about it otherwise, since I'm submitting it so soon (end of next month)?

Thank you so much for your help.

I also changed my name in the court. The only difference is that I'm still in the process of adjusting status.

What I did was I sent my EAD/AP Renewal forms with the new name and sent the court order of name change with it. The EAD form has a question for previous names used, so I used that to show them I changed my name. The forms were accepted but I'm still waiting to see what happens.

In your case, you can notify USCIS when you apply for citizenship.

The form asks for your Current Legal Name. That's your new name, after the court order.

Then it asks The name on your Green Card. That would be your previous name before the change.

Then in other names used since birth you can just enter your previous name again.

You will send the court order with the application.

By doing that you're notifying USCIS of the name and at the same time applying for citizenship with the new name. You can also try to notify them to update the name in the pending 751, but since you're applying for citizenship, I believe those two applications will now run together.

Edited by Ayrton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.