ediali09

Do you annotate bank statements / transactions (rent, school fees, etc)?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

We're still a few months away from needing to send in the ROC package. In the spirit of avoiding last minute work, I want to print out a few past bank statements and going forward, print them out as soon as they come in. We use our joint bank account to pay rent, some school fees, and going forward, utilities as well as Internet bills. I noticed that for our rent checks, the statement itself doesn't say where the money is going to, just a check number. Do you annotate your bank statement to show what various substantial transactions are for? Is that important/necessary/helpful? Or do you just let the statements speak for themselves, showing that there's regular and substantial movement within the account? 

And if you do annotate your statements, what's the best way of doing so? Post it labels? Write in a differently colored ink pen?

Thanks in advance,

Edited by toocold
grammar

~ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
27 minutes ago, toocold said:

We're still a few months away from needing to send in the ROC package. In the spirit of avoiding last minute work, I want to print out a few past bank statements and going forward, print them out as soon as they come in. We use our joint bank account to pay rent, some school fees, and going forward, utilities as well as Internet bills. I noticed that for our rent checks, the statement itself doesn't say where the money is going to, just a check number. Do you annotate your bank statement to show what various substantial transactions are for? Is that important/necessary/helpful? Or do you just let the statements speak for themselves, showing that there's regular and substantial movement within the account? 

And if you do annotate your statements, what's the best way of doing so? Post it labels? Write in a differently colored ink pen?

Thanks in advance,

This is completely unnecessary
USCIS does not have the time to look at each transaction on your bank statement
The reason for bank statements is verification of joint finances. You merely have to show that both of your names are on it and there's some type of transactions concurring (i.e some ppl open a joint account but do nothing- which really isn't a joint account). So long as something is happening, that is all.
Don't mark things up.

Good luck!  

Don't put post its, or highlights, or different colored markings - all of the evidence gets photocopied immediately so the highlights and other markings won't show up or might mess with the copies.  Post it notes will just get lost.

August 20, 2016 ----> May 5, 2021

1,720 days ----> 4 years, 8 months, and 16 days

DONE with our visa journey and USCIS!

K1:

Spoiler

8/20/2016: I-129F packet mailed
10/20/2016: NOA2

1/20/2017: Interview (approved!)

2/20/2017: POE Philadelphia

3/18/2017: Wedding!

Adjustment of Status:

Spoiler

5/11/2017:  I-485, I-131, and I-765 packets mailed to Chicago lockbox

5/18/2017: NOA

5/30/2017:  Biometrics completed (walk-in, East Hartford, CT ASC)

8/2017-9/2017: Three service requests and case request to Congresswoman submitted for I-765

10/7/2017:  EAD/AP combo card received 

12/14/2017: Interview!

12/30/2017: GC received

Removal of Conditions: 

Spoiler

9/16/2019: Packet mailed to Dallas lockbox

9/23/2019: NOA date

10/24/2019: Biometrics completed (East Hartford, CT ASC) 

8/18/2020: Case approved

9/8/2020: GC in hand!

Citizenship:

Spoiler

9/17/2020: N-400 filed online

9/25/2020: Hard copy NOA received

11/12/2020: Biometrics reuse notice on USCIS account

3/19/2021: Email notification that USCIS has taken action on our case

3/31/2021: Interview notice

5/5/2021: Interview in Lawrence, MA (our field office is Hartford, CT)

5/5/2021: Approval and same day oath ceremony due to COVID-19!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I was tempted to do this too, but was also told not to bother with it.

I am assuming you will be attaching a copy of your current lease.  You can always note in your cover letter that your "checks for rent of $$$$ are written from your joint bank account and may be found on your bank statements".  That way, you have told the reviewer exactly where to look if they want to follow it up.  If you have a well-organized packet, they probably won't mess with it.

Sukie in the Hudson Valley

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
49 minutes ago, emekus94 said:

This is completely unnecessary
USCIS does not have the time to look at each transaction on your bank statement
The reason for bank statements is verification of joint finances. You merely have to show that both of your names are on it and there's some type of transactions concurring (i.e some ppl open a joint account but do nothing- which really isn't a joint account). So long as something is happening, that is all.
Don't mark things up.

Good luck!  

Got it, thank you for saving me lots of time!

42 minutes ago, Hawksquill said:

Don't put post its, or highlights, or different colored markings - all of the evidence gets photocopied immediately so the highlights and other markings won't show up or might mess with the copies.  Post it notes will just get lost.

Got it, thank you for letting me know! 

16 minutes ago, Sukie said:

I was tempted to do this too, but was also told not to bother with it.

I am assuming you will be attaching a copy of your current lease.  You can always note in your cover letter that your "checks for rent of $$$$ are written from your joint bank account and may be found on your bank statements".  That way, you have told the reviewer exactly where to look if they want to follow it up.  If you have a well-organized packet, they probably won't mess with it.

Sukie in the Hudson Valley

That makes sense! Thank you so much :) 

~ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.