ReneeGG

Interview at Tbilisi, Georgia Embassy...Approved!

12 posts in this topic

Hi all, I wanted to share our experience today for the IR-1 Visa interview in Tbilisi, Georgia.

First of all, the interview letter requested that I attend the interview along with our 1 year old son. I have been living with my husband in Georgia since we were married, so attending the interview with him was no problem. His appointment was at 11:30am and we arrived at 11am. The embassy guards asked us to fill out a COVID-19 questionnaire regarding any symptoms or recent travel. After we filled out the form, they informed us that only my husband was to enter the embassy and if they needed me they would call me in. So, I waited outside with our son.

My husband entered the embassy and they told him to take a seat. After a couple of minutes, they called his name and requested the following documents: passport, birth certificate, relationship evidence (our sons birth certificate), military record, police certificate, and passport photos. They wanted all original documents.

Next, he sat for 10 minutes until he was called to the window. He had to swear by oath that he would answer truthfully to the following questions:

- When did you meet your spouse?

- Have you ever been apart from your spouse for an extended period of time?

- Why are you both living in Georgia?

- When was your son born?

- Where are you planning to live in the US?

- What does your mother-in-law do for work? (we are planning to live with her initially, so that's why they asked about her)

- What's your goal when you get to the US?

The consular approved the visa and told my husband to expect the visa in 3-4 business days. He gave my husband the option to arrange with a courier or to pick up his passport when it was ready.

And that's it! My husband also mentioned that there were only 2 other people in the waiting room and everything was very sanitary with employees taking the necessary safety precautions due to COVID-19.

Congrats

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

On 7/29/2020 at 4:21 AM, ReneeGG said:

Hi all, I wanted to share our experience today for the IR-1 Visa interview in Tbilisi, Georgia.

First of all, the interview letter requested that I attend the interview along with our 1 year old son. I have been living with my husband in Georgia since we were married, so attending the interview with him was no problem. His appointment was at 11:30am and we arrived at 11am. The embassy guards asked us to fill out a COVID-19 questionnaire regarding any symptoms or recent travel. After we filled out the form, they informed us that only my husband was to enter the embassy and if they needed me they would call me in. So, I waited outside with our son.

My husband entered the embassy and they told him to take a seat. After a couple of minutes, they called his name and requested the following documents: passport, birth certificate, relationship evidence (our sons birth certificate), military record, police certificate, and passport photos. They wanted all original documents.

Next, he sat for 10 minutes until he was called to the window. He had to swear by oath that he would answer truthfully to the following questions:

- When did you meet your spouse?

- Have you ever been apart from your spouse for an extended period of time?

- Why are you both living in Georgia?

- When was your son born?

- Where are you planning to live in the US?

- What does your mother-in-law do for work? (we are planning to live with her initially, so that's why they asked about her)

- What's your goal when you get to the US?

The consular approved the visa and told my husband to expect the visa in 3-4 business days. He gave my husband the option to arrange with a courier or to pick up his passport when it was ready.

And that's it! My husband also mentioned that there were only 2 other people in the waiting room and everything was very sanitary with employees taking the necessary safety precautions due to COVID-19.

Did your husband get an approval paper, or did he just get told to wait a few days for the passport? Our CO just told my wife she was approved, and that the visa would be in her passport and delivered next week. I just looked on CEAC and it says "visa refused" 

9 minutes ago, Kyle and Rita said:

Did your husband get an approval paper, or did he just get told to wait a few days for the passport? Our CO just told my wife she was approved, and that the visa would be in her passport and delivered next week. I just looked on CEAC and it says "visa refused" 

They didn’t give him an approval paper. The only gave him a booklet that explains his rights as a legal permanent resident and told him to pick up his passport once he receives an email telling him it’s ready. 

1 minute ago, ReneeGG said:

They didn’t give him an approval paper. The only gave him a booklet that explains his rights as a legal permanent resident and told him to pick up his passport once he receives an email telling him it’s ready. 

Can you check your CEAC side to see if it is normal or if it also says "refused" ?

3 minutes ago, ReneeGG said:

I just checked and mine says "Administrative Processing." 

Thats really weird. I've been searching forums for the last 4 or 5 hours and it looks like everyone has a status of "refused" until it moves to "issued". Looks like it started on March 5, 2020 like that. 

Is this the first time you've checked the CEAC?

This is what ours looks like now 

20200730_055040.jpg

1 hour ago, Kyle and Rita said:

Thats really weird. I've been searching forums for the last 4 or 5 hours and it looks like everyone has a status of "refused" until it moves to "issued". Looks like it started on March 5, 2020 like that. 

Is this the first time you've checked the CEAC?

This is what ours looks like now 

20200730_055040.jpg

Yes, this is the first time I’ve checked it. I just read your separate post about it and now you’ve got me feeling nervous for our visa. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.