Jump to content
tonyc001

DS 260 and Affidavit of Support Filing

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello - 

 

With the Covid 19 related confusion, I need help to understand what to do with our situation. I have filed for my mothers green card

 

1- Father expired last year in India. Decided to bring mother to USA but visitor visa got rejected 3 times.

2- Mothers GC filed, I-130 Approved in April 2020. 

3- NVC instructions received. Mumbai, India embassy assigned for interview location for consuler processing. Logged in and Paid the fees. 

4- DS-260 is complete but not submitted yet. I also have to complete I-864 (Affidavit of Support). 

 

Few Questions that I am confused about what to do:

 

1- We had been confused with the Covid-19 situation as mother is 72 years old and cannot go for interview at this time. I have therefore not yet filed for DS260. How long can I wait to file ? 

2- Should I go ahead and file for DS260 or continue to wait ? Is there any president proclamation that affects us in any way?

3- How quickly are they approving DS 260 applications these days and assigning interview dates for consuler processing? Can these interviews be rescheduled?

4-Noticed that for the interview they have a PUBLIC CHARGE QUESTIONNAIRE these days. Can they deny Green Card if they feel the applicant can become public charge?

5- The public charge form asks for health care coverage questions when in USA. What kind of health insurance are people buying that is typically acceptable in USA ? Any guidelines or weblinks will be appreciated.

 

Thank you for your quick responses

 

Regards

Tony

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, tonyc001 said:

1- We had been confused with the Covid-19 situation as mother is 72 years old and cannot go for interview at this time. I have therefore not yet filed for DS260. How long can I wait to file ? 

2- Should I go ahead and file for DS260 or continue to wait ? Is there any president proclamation that affects us in any way?

Non spouses and children are currently exempt from the EO.   Parents and other family members are currently subject to an EO.

You can get everything done at the NVC and if the consulate is open and the EO is in force then you still have to wait out the EO.  So yes you can do the DS-260 but might want to wait on doing Police Clearance Certificates.

32 minutes ago, tonyc001 said:

4-Noticed that for the interview they have a PUBLIC CHARGE QUESTIONNAIRE these days. Can they deny Green Card if they feel the applicant can become public charge?

Absolutely - the CO can deny based on public charge.  So it is best to show that you have worked out insurance costs, etc.   You can use any type of private or marketplace insurance. 


March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tonyc001 said:

 

Few Questions that I am confused about what to do:

 

1- We had been confused with the Covid-19 situation as mother is 72 years old and cannot go for interview at this time. I have therefore not yet filed for DS260. How long can I wait to file ? 

2- Should I go ahead and file for DS260 or continue to wait ? Is there any president proclamation that affects us in any way?

3- How quickly are they approving DS 260 applications these days and assigning interview dates for consuler processing? Can these interviews be rescheduled?

4-Noticed that for the interview they have a PUBLIC CHARGE QUESTIONNAIRE these days. Can they deny Green Card if they feel the applicant can become public charge?

5- The public charge form asks for health care coverage questions when in USA. What kind of health insurance are people buying that is typically acceptable in USA ? Any guidelines or weblinks will be appreciated.

 

Thank you for your quick responses

 

Regards

Tony

 

1, 2, 3: IR5 visas are banned until at least January 2021 under the presidential proclamation. So you can go ahead and file everything but she won’t get a visa interview until sometime next year.

4. This has always been the case. All they have done is formalize the structure under which they analyze it.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please can you list what documents you need at the NVC stage for the indian embassy? I have recently filed I-130 form online, but wanted to see what documents we need at next stage so i can slowly prepare at my end.

 

experts - is there a link for what documents are needed for next phase. Thanks so much all your help! You guys are awesome!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Paul and Mary and SusieQQQ-

 

Many thanks for your responses. I understand from your responses that waiting or moving forward won't make any difference as due to EO they will likely not schedule any appointment. Some more questions

 

1- After NVC has reviewed all documents, after how much time do they typically set up the appointment at consulate?

2- You mentioned healthcare market place. Can you please provide me a link - can they provide me a quote for insurance here?

3- What other options do I have to ensure health coverage for 71 years old in USA?

 

Thanks again,

 

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello -  I had posted a few months ago as you can see on this thread and due to lack of clarity with the Mumbai Embassy processing and coronavirus situation decided to wait before submitting DS 260 NVC documents. I was concerned if they will schedule an appointment it is not possible for me to travel to take my mother to Mumbai for an appointment. I have a few questions

 

1- Can I change my mothers embassy Green Card interview to New Delhi ? 

2- Is it advisable I change to New Delhi since my mother visitor visa was denied at New Delhi 2 times?

3- Is Mumbai Embassy or Delhi Embassy now scheduling appointments for interview ?

4- I need guidance and help on where do I buy health insurance for my mother to show during the interview ? Any one who has bought this and from where that was acceptable to the US Embassy during interview?

5- I am now getting ready to file the paperwork - should I be aware of anything new before I file to NVC

6- Is the EO still in force or expired?

7- My Notice for Immigration Visa Creation was received on April 30 2020. After that I had logged in the website and paid fees and also have got all documents ready (almost) there. Can they cancel this application if I cross 12 months? Just want to understand that if I am now running against the time.

 

Appreciate the help and guidance ?

 

Regards

Sanjay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2021 at 9:29 AM, tonyc001 said:

3- Is Mumbai Embassy or Delhi Embassy now scheduling appointments for interview ?

 

On 1/4/2021 at 9:29 AM, tonyc001 said:

6- Is the EO still in force or expired?

 

Still no interviews scheduled for IR5 visa category as the ban has been extended to March 31, 2021.  We may find out in a few weeks if Biden will lift the ban.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...