JasonIsMyName

Waiting on AOS Interview - Where to Go From Here

11 posts in this topic

So I'm trying to decide what we should do, if anything, as we wait for my wife's AOS interview to be rescheduled... here are the main points:

1) Her AOS interview date was originally scheduled for March 23, 2020.

2) As many others on VisaJourney I'm sure, her AOS interview was canceled due to COVID-19, and she received a letter from USCIS in the mail stating that fact.

3) As of today (07/27/2020), she has not received an update online or via mail.

4) Her EAD/AP combo card expires in November.

5) Her Philippine passport expires in January 2021.

Given the above facts, here's our plan of action:

1) Submit the documentation to renew her EAD/AP combo card this week.

2) Renew her Philippine passport due to the 6-month validity requirement for most countries.

Does this sound good? Number one, renewing her EAD/AP combo card, seems like a no-brainer, since this costs nothing except time. Number two, renewing her passport, seems slightly risky to me should USCIS decide to reschedule the AOS interview and we don't have her passport while it's in the hands of the Philippine Consulate. Any advice?

Thanks so much,

Jason

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
41 minutes ago, JasonIsMyName said:

So I'm trying to decide what we should do, if anything, as we wait for my wife's AOS interview to be rescheduled... here are the main points:

1) Her AOS interview date was originally scheduled for March 23, 2020.

2) As many others on VisaJourney I'm sure, her AOS interview was canceled due to COVID-19, and she received a letter from USCIS in the mail stating that fact.

3) As of today (07/27/2020), she has not received an update online or via mail.

4) Her EAD/AP combo card expires in November.

5) Her Philippine passport expires in January 2021.

Given the above facts, here's our plan of action:

1) Submit the documentation to renew her EAD/AP combo card this week.

2) Renew her Philippine passport due to the 6-month validity requirement for most countries.

Does this sound good? Number one, renewing her EAD/AP combo card, seems like a no-brainer, since this costs nothing except time. Number two, renewing her passport, seems slightly risky to me should USCIS decide to reschedule the AOS interview and we don't have her passport while it's in the hands of the Philippine Consulate. Any advice?

Thanks so much,

Jason

Why would her passport have to be in the hands of the consulate?  You apply, she keeps her original passport until the consulte notifies her that the new passport is ready.  She mails in her old passport and a day or two later they come back to her.  4 or 5 days maximum out of her hands. 

YMMV

Thanks @payxibka I wasn't aware of the process of renewing a Philippine passport in the U.S., which I will check on now. I was just thinking of the process to renew a U.S. passport, which last time required being without my old passport for a few weeks. So renewing her passport sounds like a no-brainer too!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
30 minutes ago, JasonIsMyName said:

Thanks @payxibka I wasn't aware of the process of renewing a Philippine passport in the U.S., which I will check on now. I was just thinking of the process to renew a U.S. passport, which last time required being without my old passport for a few weeks. So renewing her passport sounds like a no-brainer too!

They will take it at the application if you let them.  Since at the time it was my wife's only form of identification we couldn't be without it.  The mailing back and forth was the solution they offered.   Worked very well.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Now let me add a monkey wrench to this equation. We are in the same situation waiting for the interview. However, my wife has been hospitalized since March 20, 2020 and due to surgical complications, she is not expected to be released from the hospital until sometime next year, (non-COVID-19). Is it possible that there is/may be a virtual interview?

USCIS I-129F Petition:   image.png.5e26813a0fee6f4065ce829758e29731.png      

image.png.66176722dd07631b884c6730df9ff788.pngimage.png.63696e1e1440439256be59ac086d18bb.png

Dept of State K1 Visa:   image.png.9a78db6ac742a01a01d0b157963311c8.png       image.png.8b2371c75847cbfbc45e7dc896f8ba1f.pngimage.png.e0b583662f868174b3c52088da49263c.pngimage.png.7f70a1e5e353924875a93c2b082fbee0.png
USCIS I-485 Petition:   

image.png.465aaf5ca7c51799120b0fab7f99afe5.png

image.png.e0b583662f868174b3c52088da49263c.pngimage.png.7f70a1e5e353924875a93c2b082fbee0.png

Hi Guys... I am new here... I have nowhere to go I don't know what to do... I hope anyone can help me here...I have filed for AOS last year June 20, 2019 and all my documents are approve and all that  but last I just keep checking my case online and I have been approved for green card interview last October when I checked it. and then I keep waiting and waiting till one day December 19, 2019 it say on my status that My interview was cancelled... I have not received any approval notice only online status and I have not received any cancellation notice.. what do i do from here... I have sent mails couple times now have not heard anything from it... :( 

@Stubmeister When you receive the notice for the interview, you'll have to call the number on the notice to reschedule the interview. I don't know how far out you can schedule the interview.

Mind you, my wife's interview was scheduled just a few days after local USCIS field offices closed their doors due to COVID-19. I'm just curious as to why her interview hasn't been rescheduled by now, as it appears the Baltimore, MD field office reopened their doors on June 4. Logically, I'm thinking they would reschedule the interviews using a first-in, first-out (FIFO) queue. So even with social distancing in mind and spreading out the interviews to promote social distancing, she should have had her interview rescheduled at this point.

Is there any action we should take? The interview cancellation letter stated that she would receive a new interview date in the mail automatically, no action required on her part.

My wife and I have almost the same situation. She has her EAD/AP combo card. Our AOS interview was scheduled for 3/20/20 and was canceled due to COVID. Has not been rescheduled as of today. Her Philippine passport expires 1/2021. I spent several weeks working on and submitting our report of marriage by mail to the Philippine consulate in Los Angeles. Don’t know where you live but I suggest you find out where the Philippine consulate is for your area, and read the instructions on their website. I spent $200+ on notary, birth certificate, postage and application fees. We received the report of marriage, then the Philippine consulate opened 6/17/20. For several weeks I tried to schedule an appointment for my wife to renew her passport (must appear in person for that), but to no avail. The slots were filled and every day no appointment was available. Then this message appeared several weeks ago:

image.thumb.jpeg.fc1ccf0202c5ff903faf150b7758757b.jpeg
So at this point we are still waiting for an AOS interview appointment and a passport renewal appointment.
I’m reading in the news that the schools are supposed to open for full time in person instruction, while the rest of the “non essential” government offices and services remain closed to in person services. Totally unfair...

Edited by Frider

On 7/28/2020 at 11:56 AM, Stubmeister said:

Is it possible that there is/may be a virtual interview?

No, that is not an option unfortunately.

On 8/5/2020 at 1:58 PM, Frider said:

My wife and I have almost the same situation. She has her EAD/AP combo card. Our AOS interview was scheduled for 3/20/20 and was canceled due to COVID. Has not been rescheduled as of today. Her Philippine passport expires 1/2021. I spent several weeks working on and submitting our report of marriage by mail to the Philippine consulate in Los Angeles. Don’t know where you live but I suggest you find out where the Philippine consulate is for your area, and read the instructions on their website. I spent $200+ on notary, birth certificate, postage and application fees. We received the report of marriage, then the Philippine consulate opened 6/17/20. For several weeks I tried to schedule an appointment for my wife to renew her passport (must appear in person for that), but to no avail. The slots were filled and every day no appointment was available. Then this message appeared several weeks ago:

image.thumb.jpeg.fc1ccf0202c5ff903faf150b7758757b.jpeg
So at this point we are still waiting for an AOS interview appointment and a passport renewal appointment.
I’m reading in the news that the schools are supposed to open for full time in person instruction, while the rest of the “non essential” government offices and services remain closed to in person services. Totally unfair...

Hi, so was report of marriage required for/during interview by embassy in Manila. We did mot report our marriage and our interview is this month.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.