GTB

DS 5540 and Health Insurance required for interview?

11 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi Everyone,

My wife just got her interview notice for consular processing (yay!).  I understand there is a new form DS 5540 now that we have to fill out and provide supporting documentation. I am currently abroad with my wife and do not have insurance through my work etc.  We do not know exactly when we will go to the US and it seems frustrating if we have to set up health insurance now when we don't realistically know when we will go to the US and it will likely be in around 5 months or so.

Is it required for us to have purchased a policy by the time of the interview?  Is it enough for us to print off some options that we are considering?  My wife is in good health (minus slightly elevated blood pressure) and my I-864 affidavit of support is pretty solid.  Will we have a problem if we show up to the interview without insurance purchased for her already? 

Thanks so much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not know how strict Vietnam is with Domicile but generally this subject falls into that aspect, obviously Health Insurance is part of your relocation plan and as a general comment whatever your plan is should hopefully suffiice.

Just so you know OCare pricing is not health dependent as far as cost is concerned.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I have a plethora of evidence that I am domiciled in the US, but health insurance is not one of those things.  I currently have an inexpensive travelers plan that only covers me for abroad or short visits in the US.  My wife and I are not planning on getting insurance until we return because our return date is far from decided.  I am an independent contractor so I do not have insurance through my work (we are hoping my wife finds a job which does have it).

Do we really need to purchase a plan for her before our interview?  How can we do this since we do not know our travel date?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Where do you see the requirement to purchase a plan before the interview?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, BrendenGerber said:

Hi Everyone,

My wife just got her interview notice for consular processing (yay!).  I understand there is a new form DS 5540 now that we have to fill out and provide supporting documentation. I am currently abroad with my wife and do not have insurance through my work etc.  We do not know exactly when we will go to the US and it seems frustrating if we have to set up health insurance now when we don't realistically know when we will go to the US and it will likely be in around 5 months or so.

Is it required for us to have purchased a policy by the time of the interview?  Is it enough for us to print off some options that we are considering?  My wife is in good health (minus slightly elevated blood pressure) and my I-864 affidavit of support is pretty solid.  Will we have a problem if we show up to the interview without insurance purchased for her already? 

Thanks so much!

Hi,

My spouse and I are currently going through consular processing via the London Embassy, and had the same concerns as you. Obviously, it differs from embassy to embassy, but in London applicants are not being asked to provide a completed DS-5540 at the time of interview. Who knows if this will change. Based on reports from a few people who have had their IR1/CR1 interviews this month, they were all asked if they had a plan for obtaining insurance by the Consular Officer, but weren't asked to provide any evidence of the plan itself. Therefore, it seems like (in London at least) they are pretty relaxed about this and will take your word for it.

As you correctly stated, it's difficult to purchase a plan when you aren't even sure what your date of arrival in the country will be!

Edited by os306

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I had my IR1 interview on July 15 in Hong Kong. I prepared DS5540 with supporting documents, but weren't asked about DS5540 nor anything about health insurance at the interview.

I didn't have any quotation on health insurance in US. On the form, we listed all assets (including bank accounts) my husband and I each or jointly own. On the form, I also put my education, skills and brought along my certificates. My lawyer had said if I had got quotations on health insurance, I can provide that, since I don't have any, I can say I have intention to buy health insurance but just didn't have time to get quotations yet.

Hi Brenden, 

My wife is waiting to get her interview letter from the Consulate in HCM City too. Your concern is also mine. Here are some information that I have gathered and come up with a solution.

1. DS5540 is requested (or may not) by the consular officers at the time of interview. We don't know yet so we better come prepare.

2. I'm looking into this short term coverage for my wife as a proof of she will have insurance for at least 30 days upon arriving. The quotes are reasonable for 30 days coverage. 

https://www.visitorscoverage.com/green-card-health-insurance/plans/   

3. It will be your decision about when you will go to the US, so just estimate and put down on DS5540 and insurance plan so at least you have something to show if requested 

I personally will get this ready for my wife prior her interview, I don't want to take any risk since the Consular in HCMC is kind of strict.

I hope this help you and good luck with everything 

Edited by Ronniesu

Timeline

Yeah I am really at a loss here.  I attempted to do an application for my wife through healthcare.gov but she was denied because she doesn't have a legal immigration status yet.  How are we supposed to obtain health insurance if she doesn't have a legal immigration status yet?  Does anyone know of some companies that will provide this so I can at least get a quote for the first month?  

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
1 hour ago, BrendenGerber said:

Yeah I am really at a loss here.  I attempted to do an application for my wife through healthcare.gov but she was denied because she doesn't have a legal immigration status yet.  How are we supposed to obtain health insurance if she doesn't have a legal immigration status yet?  Does anyone know of some companies that will provide this so I can at least get a quote for the first month?  

Some VJ members mentioned below in other threads:

https://www.sevencorners.com/products/short-term-health-insurance

https://www.healthcare.org/

They wanted a DS5540 from me and I’m in Australia.

husband is a federal employee with full health coverage. 

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Same situation here - spouse is about to go for IV interview at embassy. The DS-5540 form is a concern for many IV applicants. From what I read, one can get a quote for health insurance coverage with an estimated start date to demonstrate to the CO that you are planning to get insurance coverage when you arrive in the US. 

Also, just couple days ago, the “Public Charge” was enjoined by US District Court SDNY. At least in Japan, no immigration visa was issued until DOS has issued guidance following the latest ruling.

“On July 29, 2020, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York enjoined the government from enforcing, applying, implementing, or treating as effective, the USCIS Final Rule on Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds (84 FR 41292, 8/14/19)during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The court also issued a separate order granting an injunction that enjoins the government from implementing, or taking any actions to enforce or apply, the 2018 FAM Revisions, the DOS Interim Final Rule on Visa Ineligibility on Public Charge Grounds (84 FR 54996, 10/11/19), or the President’s October 4, 2019 Proclamation, Suspension of Entry of Immigrants Who Will Financially Burden the United States Healthcare System in Order to Protect the Availability of Healthcare Benefits for Americans (84 FR 53991, 10/9/19) during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

https://www.aila.org/advo-media/issues/all/public-charge-changes-at-uscis-doj-and-dos

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.