Raccoonny

Importing car on K1 visa from Canada

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Forgive me if this question has already been answered! If it has, I'll delete this. I've done some searching and can't find a recent answer. 

I POE'd with a K1 visa on 27 February 2020 with my car (2012 Jeep Wrangler) but didn't have a compliance letter (I thought my EPA sticker was a DOT sticker. In hindsight, just didn't do enough research). I imported it temporarily for 1 year for personal use due to not having the proper form. I've now obtained the compliance letter from Fiat-Chrysler. I don't plan on doing anything yet until my EAD is issued.

I know I need to have EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7 for importation. I know that with a K1 visa it's duty free-- even though when I actually am able to import it it'll be well after POEing, will the duty free allowance still be there?

As well, do I actually have to leave the country to import? The closest border to me is 8.5 hours away (Pembina, N.Dak) but there's a CBP office in my city, and the border doesn't look like it's reopening any time soon due to COVID-19. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I recently imported my car, they didn’t ask for any forms. The officer took the registration and compliance letter, came back with a letter for registering the vehicle. No duty either, she said she estimated the value of the vehicle too. As for CBP, you may have to give them a call. I thought you have 10 years to import your belongings so you should be fine.

Edited by don_mar

Timeline

Okay awesome, that's great to know. 

11 hours ago, don_mar said:

I thought you have 10 years to import your belongings so you should be fine.

Is there anywhere I can look to see the specifications? I had no idea that there was a 10 year importation window, so if that's the case, this makes things a lot easier for me.

On 7/23/2020 at 12:47 AM, Raccoonny said:

Forgive me if this question has already been answered! If it has, I'll delete this. I've done some searching and can't find a recent answer. 

I POE'd with a K1 visa on 27 February 2020 with my car (2012 Jeep Wrangler) but didn't have a compliance letter (I thought my EPA sticker was a DOT sticker. In hindsight, just didn't do enough research). I imported it temporarily for 1 year for personal use due to not having the proper form. I've now obtained the compliance letter from Fiat-Chrysler. I don't plan on doing anything yet until my EAD is issued.

I know I need to have EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7 for importation. I know that with a K1 visa it's duty free-- even though when I actually am able to import it it'll be well after POEing, will the duty free allowance still be there?

As well, do I actually have to leave the country to import? The closest border to me is 8.5 hours away (Pembina, N.Dak) but there's a CBP office in my city, and the border doesn't look like it's reopening any time soon due to COVID-19. 

any poe will work, just call the CBP. 

13 hours ago, don_mar said:

When I recently imported my car, they didn’t ask for any forms. The officer took the registration and compliance letter, came back with a letter for registering the vehicle. No duty either, she said she estimated the value of the vehicle too. As for CBP, you may have to give them a call. I thought you have 10 years to import your belongings so you should be fine.

You have 1 year to import a vehicle.  10 years for personal items. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

You have 1 year to import a vehicle.  10 years for personal items. 

Good to know!

any poe will work, just call the CBP. 

Just got off a call with CBP Omaha, they said they're able to file the paperwork here. That saves me 17 hours of driving.

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Just wanted to post an update/loose timeline for what I did for others' reference. 

- February 2020: Entered USA at Pembina, ND on K1 visa. Temporarily imported vehicle.

- Late September: Received my EAD, Advanced Parole, SSN, and converted Canadian driver's license to Nebraskan.

- Early October 2020: Permanently imported vehicle. Paperwork filled out at the Omaha NE CBP Office (Eppley Airfield). Vehicle was exempt from duty as personal effect for K-1 visa, otherwise this is when I would have paid duty. Proof of Status used: EAD (my I-94 had expired by this point. I was told this is also acceptable, but due to COVID-19 pandemic I was unable to get to a CBP office before it expired)

- Early October 2020: Filed Sherriff Inspection for the State of Nebraska. 

- Mid October 2020: Purchased insurance.

- Mid October 2020: Filed Form HS-7 and EPA 3520-1 at the Nebraska DoT, applied for license plates.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry if this has been asked but I didn't see in the comments.

I have a 2013 KIA Rio5 SX. Are the transfer papers from the dealership to me enough to take my car with me? I have the compliance letter from Kia and installing an external TPMS (only thing not compliant). I've downloaded the form and will fill that out and will get a blue book from carfax.

I just need to know if the transfer papers from dealership into my name will be good enough.

Timeline
On 11/16/2020 at 9:14 PM, BaileyHunter said:

Sorry if this has been asked but I didn't see in the comments.

I have a 2013 KIA Rio5 SX. Are the transfer papers from the dealership to me enough to take my car with me? I have the compliance letter from Kia and installing an external TPMS (only thing not compliant). I've downloaded the form and will fill that out and will get a blue book from carfax.

I just need to know if the transfer papers from dealership into my name will be good enough.

Anyone?  Help?

Timeline

Sorry for my delay, my Internet has been down for the last little while. 

I believe the transfer papers are enough as far as a title is concerned. My vehicle was registered in Manitoba, so the only thing that I had to prove ownership was my Transfer of Ownership document that was affixed to my registration and insurance document as I didn't have my Letter of Compliance with me when I first entered the US. 

To double check, I'd recommend calling the CPB office where you plan to POE. If you've already entered, call your local CPB office (mine is at the local airport) and you can do the documentation there.

Timeline

You'll want to bring these forms as well just in case:

EPA 3520-1

DOT HS-7

They will be needed eventually, although I believe the state wants those forms, rather than the CPB. They should have the other form at the CBP office.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Raccoonny said:

Sorry for my delay, my Internet has been down for the last little while. 

I believe the transfer papers are enough as far as a title is concerned. My vehicle was registered in Manitoba, so the only thing that I had to prove ownership was my Transfer of Ownership document that was affixed to my registration and insurance document as I didn't have my Letter of Compliance with me when I first entered the US. 

To double check, I'd recommend calling the CPB office where you plan to POE. If you've already entered, call your local CPB office (mine is at the local airport) and you can do the documentation there.

Thank you! I've got my compliance letter and insurance. Was just concerned that transfer papers might not be enough. 

• 4 months later...
Timeline
On 7/23/2020 at 3:47 AM, Raccoonny said:

I know I need to have EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7 for importation. I know that with a K1 visa it's duty free--

Do you have anywhere this is explicitly stated? I was under the impression that to import a car on a K1 was duty free, but it's been recently brought to my attention that if your car was not manufactured/assembled in the US, Canada, or Mexico, that you would be required to pay duties on it.

I'm trying to figure out which policy rules the other one out (or the specifics of said policy), but now I can't even find anywhere that confirms that K1 cars can be imported without duty lol.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.