moontalitor

Some CR1/IR1 questions // J1, COVID related

3 posts in this topic

Hello! My name is Bárbara, from Argentina, and by the end of the year (Corona willing and all) my american fiance Derrick and I plan to get married here in Argentina, and start the CR1/IR1 process once he flies back home. He lives in Portland, OR, and I live in Buenos Aires, Arg. We know right now any plans are bound to change, with the pandemic and all, so we're prepared to shift our plans back into 2021. Plan A though is end December 2020. We're still a few months away from starting to file paperwork and all, but I like to be prepared so we've been looking at all the paperwork. I've read the guides here, and checked a few other websites out, but a few questions have arisen and maybe y'all can help us out.

j1 visa things - I did two winter work and travel J1 programs, during the 2018-19 US winter, and the 19-20 US winter, both to Timberline Lodge, OR. During both my J1 stints, I lived in the same place. Should I list the address twice, one for each different period (dec 2018-march 2019 / dec 2019-march 2020)?

covid stuff -  Due to travel bans related to COVID-19, I couldn't return home right away after my second J1 season, and stayed at this house for three months. My embassy and sponsor knew, but the was no legal documents or anything legally tying me to that address. Should I still list it? Also, should we list this as having lived together in the 'proof of bona fide marriage' section? I think 'probably not' as it was never my legal address, not are there any bills showing my name in them. Thought I'd ask though.

spanish citizenship - I hold both argentinian and spanish citizenship. I looked through the forms and didn't see anything asking about dual citizenship on my part. I live in Argentina, we're getting married in Argentina, and I will continue living here until we finish the visa process. Should I disclose this information, somehow? Is it important?

bonafide things - Due to how our relationship panned out, we don't have any of the following:

1.          Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or
2.     A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence.

I read somewhere that, in case you lack a bunch of evidence, you can both write a letter explaining why; should we do this to explain why we have no joint ownership/residence? We currently have a joint savings account, technically still only on his name, but he plants on adding me to it once we actually get married.

Thanks in advance! Hope everyone is staying safe.

22/march/2021 - Married in Argentina! 💕

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you will not be able to show joint ownership is there is none and not usually required for CR1

What i can advise is :

1. tell him to bring the application with him when you marry / it helps to fill it out together

2. If you can and do marry in December ,  have him add you to his 2020 tax returns in the spring of 2021 (helps to show the beginning of commingling fiances) and bonds the relationship

3.  use the info about Argentina citizenship as you will be interviewing there (for primary)

4.  you can use a separate sheet of paper with info about the Spanish which may be important if you were born in Spain

the other questions i have no idea about but others will

Best to you both

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, moontalitor said:

Hello! My name is Bárbara, from Argentina, and by the end of the year (Corona willing and all) my american fiance Derrick and I plan to get married here in Argentina, and start the CR1/IR1 process once he flies back home. He lives in Portland, OR, and I live in Buenos Aires, Arg. We know right now any plans are bound to change, with the pandemic and all, so we're prepared to shift our plans back into 2021. Plan A though is end December 2020. We're still a few months away from starting to file paperwork and all, but I like to be prepared so we've been looking at all the paperwork. I've read the guides here, and checked a few other websites out, but a few questions have arisen and maybe y'all can help us out.

j1 visa things - I did two winter work and travel J1 programs, during the 2018-19 US winter, and the 19-20 US winter, both to Timberline Lodge, OR. During both my J1 stints, I lived in the same place. Should I list the address twice, one for each different period (dec 2018-march 2019 / dec 2019-march 2020)?

covid stuff -  Due to travel bans related to COVID-19, I couldn't return home right away after my second J1 season, and stayed at this house for three months. My embassy and sponsor knew, but the was no legal documents or anything legally tying me to that address. Should I still list it? Also, should we list this as having lived together in the 'proof of bona fide marriage' section? I think 'probably not' as it was never my legal address, not are there any bills showing my name in them. Thought I'd ask though.

spanish citizenship - I hold both argentinian and spanish citizenship. I looked through the forms and didn't see anything asking about dual citizenship on my part. I live in Argentina, we're getting married in Argentina, and I will continue living here until we finish the visa process. Should I disclose this information, somehow? Is it important?

bonafide things - Due to how our relationship panned out, we don't have any of the following:

1.          Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or
2.     A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence.

I read somewhere that, in case you lack a bunch of evidence, you can both write a letter explaining why; should we do this to explain why we have no joint ownership/residence? We currently have a joint savings account, technically still only on his name, but he plants on adding me to it once we actually get married.

Thanks in advance! Hope everyone is staying safe.

Separate time frames, separate entry

Just tell the truth about where you lived.  Just tell the truth. PERIOD.  Simplifies lots of things.

You'll have the opportunity to disclose Spanish Citizenship in your visa application at the NVC stage.  Not an issue.

For your last item, read those instructions again and understand that list of items follows a sentence that begins with the words, "In addition to the required..."  Then, you'll understand none of that is required.  Concentrate on evidence of time spent together in person.  It's in your passport an in his if he visited you, and stored as photos on phones or cameras.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.